The Crimson Petal and the White

by Michel Faber | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 015100692x Global Overview for this book
Registered by rennob of Concord, Georgia USA on 4/8/2007
Journal Entry 1 by rennob from Concord, Georgia USA on Sunday, April 8, 2007
I read this book a while back for book club. Very interesting.

Journal Entry 2 by rennob from Concord, Georgia USA on Wednesday, August 22, 2007
released to another book crosser. Happy reading!!!

Journal Entry 3 by FuryIII on Saturday, September 1, 2007
Received from rennob, and looking forward to reading it. Thanks!

Journal Entry 4 by FuryIII on Monday, September 24, 2007
I'm always a bit leery of book reviews, especially when high profile reviewers are uniformly ecstatic about a particular book. Still, I had hopes for The Crimson Petal and the White, even if it was likened to The Corrections, which I loathed. I didn't loathe this book, but I was phenomenally bored. The plot wandered aimlessly, and it was impossible to like or dislike characters that had no substance. Even sections about perfumery, which I imagine could have been drawn with some vibrancy, were banal. While the story's post-modern framework could have been used to great effect, I got the impression that Mr. Faber didn't really know what to do with it once he'd started, as it mostly disappeared in the middle of the story, only to make a brief reappearance at the end. The ending itself was a tremendous cop-out, and not nearly so clever as the author seemed to think. Mostly, this read like bad TV.

Although I didn't care for the book, I do appreciate having the opportunity to read it, and it did pass the time on this weekend's long plane flights. Rennob, thank you for making it available to me.