A Time to Kill

by John Grisham | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by noumena12 of Dayton, Ohio USA on 4/7/2007
Journal Entry 1 by noumena12 from Dayton, Ohio USA on Saturday, April 07, 2007
This book has a different cover than the one shown

From the Publisher
John Grisham has become, in less than three years, America's most popular author. While The Firm first put him on bestseller lists across the country, and The Pelican Brief and The Client confirmed his status as the master of the legal thriller, it was A Time to Kill that launched his writing career. Originally published in a small print-run in 1989, and for years unavailable in hardcover, Doubleday is proud to publish a new trade hardcover edition of this gripping courtroom drama. Near the rural town of Clanton, Mississippi, little Tonya Hailey is brutally raped, beaten, and left for dead by two drunken and remorseless men. The rapists are almost immediately caught in a road side bar, where they have been bragging of their exploits. When the men appear in court days later, Tonya's father Carl bursts out of the courthouse basement, and executes them with an assault rifle. Murder or executions? Justice or revenge? Carl trusts his life to only one man in town - local criminal lawyer Jake Brigance, who dreams of famous cases, headlines, and the big time. Jake is about to face the fight of his life, and he knows it. Not only is he up against Rufus Buckley - a tough, ambitious district attorney who realizes that a murder conviction could help him gain higher office - but he has a much bigger problem: the rapists are white, the judge is white - and Carl is black. This is a trial sure to change forever the lives of everyone involved. A Time to Kill is a riveting novel that challenges everything we think we know about justice and equality.

Journal Entry 2 by inkognitoh from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, April 22, 2007
This book was given to me at the annual Bookcrossing Convention. It was bought along purposely because I had it on my wish list. Thank you very much for your generosity and I'm looking forward to reading the book.