Bread Givers

by Anzia Yezierska, Alice Kessler-Harris | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by TITurtle1 of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA on 4/4/2007
Journal Entry 1 by TITurtle1 from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, April 04, 2007
Conscious of her outsider status - a Polish immigrant, a writer in a foreign language, a Jewish female - Anzia Yezierska takes us inside an early twentieth-century American immigrant Jewish family, a family without a son to lighten their load or brighten their lives. Sarah, the narrator of Bread Givers, describes with urgency and in detail the lives she, her sisters, and her mother live to support their revered, torah-reading father: their crowded shared rooms so he can study undisturbed; the numerous jobs all but he work to maintain the family and support his books, charities, and manner of dress; his constant and often impossible demands. Sarah struggles to remain loyal: "I began to feel I was different than my sisters... If they ever had times they hated Father, they were too frightened of themselves to confess... But could I help it what was inside me? I had to feel what I felt even it killed me." Through profuse and perceptive dialogue, Anzia Yezierska brings to life a heritage whose strength, wisdom, and idiom continue, seventy years later, to enrich North American culture and language.

Journal Entry 2 by Macaufan from Miami, Florida USA on Saturday, April 21, 2007
Received at the Sticky Finger Live Swap at the Charleston BC convention. Another nice book from Turtle! Good taste!

Journal Entry 3 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Monday, March 06, 2017
While the writing style is nothing fancy, it tells a honest, heart-wrenching story of a Polish immigrant family. Sarah, the youngest of four girls, witnessed how her religious father has turned down her sisters' marriage proposals and lost the girls' hard earned money on foolish ventures. She decides to live her own life and starts out on her own.

It's a nice tale of a girl succeeding on her own through her own strong will and perseverance, but it doesn't stop at that. The ending brings Sarah to a deeper understanding of her father, bringing her back to him after her rebellious departure. It ends up being a richer and deeper literature because of this insight.

This book is now itchy to travel again, and what better opportunities than the upcoming BC Convention in Oslo!!

Released 2 yrs ago (4/22/2017 UTC) at Bookcrossing Convention Oslo 2017 in St. Hanshaugen bydel, Oslo fylke Norway

Leaving at book buffet table at the BookCrossing Convention in Oslo. (not sure why the location hasn't shown)

Hi! How wonderful you've found one of my books! Thank you so much for checking out the journal. I would really appreciate if you can take a moment to let me know you have it now. Trust me, it'll totally make my day to hear from one of my "wild" books.

Bookcrossing is a wonderful online community of book lovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. We are also curious to see how far and wide our books can travel. I would appreciate if you can make a journal entry on this book so we know where the book has been. You don't have to set up an account.

Feel free to keep this book, return it to where you found it, or pass it on to the next reader. If you sign up as a member, you will hear from the book as it travels and gets journaled. Feel free to explore the BookCrossing site, and visit our forum to meet other booklovers. Membership is confidential, free, and spam-free. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 5 by wingHaugtussawing at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Saturday, April 22, 2017
Picked it up from the buffet table. Looked interesting.

Journal Entry 6 by wingHaugtussawing at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Saturday, April 28, 2018
This book was both an easy and an interesting read. The story of the religious father who nearly ruined the family by living in the old-ways, and the youngest daughter who managed to break free and live the American way. I believe that, even now, many immigrant families will have this struggle between the old world and the new world, and that this struggle can cause problems between the generations.

Journal Entry 7 by wingHaugtussawing at Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Released 8 mos ago (10/24/2018 UTC) at Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway

Velkommen til BookCrossing!

Takk for at du fant boka.
Vær vennlig å skriv en kommentar på www.bookcrossing.com, så får vi vite hva som har skjedd med boka.
Du kan være anonym om du vil eller enda kjekkere: bli medlem (det er gratis).
Om du leser boka så kan du skrive hva du synes om den.
Om du slipper den fri igjen så fortell gjerne om det også.
Om du blir medlem så kan du få email som forteller hva som skjer med boka i fremtiden - spennende!

Er det noe du lurer på så sende gjerne et PM (personal message) til meg, Haugtussa, og spør.
Lykke til som bokkrysser.

Journal Entry 8 by wingsota48wing at Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on Wednesday, October 24, 2018
This book came home with me after a BC meet up in Trondheim.