Oracle Night: A Novel (HC)

by Paul Auster | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by butterfly-noir of Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on 3/31/2007
Journal Entry 1 by butterfly-noir from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Saturday, March 31, 2007
Amazon Editorial Review:

Several months into his recovery from a near-fatal illness, thirty-four-year-old novelist Sidney Orr enters a stationery shop in the Cobble Hill section of Brooklyn and buys a blue notebook. It is September 18, 1982, and for the next nine days Orr will live under the spell of this blank book, trapped inside a world of eerie premonitions and puzzling events that threaten to destroy his marriage and undermine his faith in reality.

Why does his wife suddenly break down in tears in the backseat of a taxi just hours after Sidney begins writing in the notebook? Why does M. R. Chang, the owner of the stationery shop, precipitously close his business the next day? What are the connections between a 1938 Warsaw telephone directory and a lost novel in which the hero can predict the future? At what point does animosity explode into violence? To what degree is forgiveness the ultimate expression of love?

Paul Auster’s mesmerizing eleventh novel reads like an old-fashioned ghost story. But there are no ghosts in this book—only flesh-and-blood human beings, wandering through the haunted realms of everyday life. At once a meditation on the nature of time and a journey through the labyrinth of one man’s imagination, Oracle Night is a narrative tour de force that confirms Auster’s reputation as one of the boldest, most original writers at work in America today.

Journal Entry 2 by butterfly-noir from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Thursday, May 29, 2008
Paul auster is one of my favorite authors although I always have some trouble in remembering or explaining his books plots after reading them.. I call it auster's mesmerizing efect!

this is classical austers not on of the bests but good enough (I always have a hard time grading books by my favorite authors, even when they are not excelent they are good enough for me). The one thing I didnt like much about the book and still can remeber is the foot notes. they are to many and to large, the author takes avantage of the foot notes to tell storues whitin the story, that made me lose myself on the reading.

sending to potako-fan as part of the anual for holders swap (2007)

Journal Entry 3 by potok-fan from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Monday, June 09, 2008
Arrived in the post today - thank you!

I've never read any Auster, but one local bookcrosser says he's fantastic, and so I put "Brooklyn Follies" on my wishlist. And I just got that book this weekend as my door prize at the All-Finland bookcrossing meeting! Now this arrives today, so I'll soon be well introduced to Mr. Paul Auster. :)

Journal Entry 4 by Potok-too at Lincoln, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Thursday, August 16, 2018
I've moved to England and re-named myself Potok-too. I don't know why I didn't journal this book when I read it - did I maybe not finish it? I seem to recall that it turned a bit too weird for me.

At any rate, it is past time to let this go. I'd like to see if I can release it sometime in the coming week.

Journal Entry 5 by Potok-too at Cobbles Bar in Louth, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Saturday, August 18, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (8/18/2018 UTC) at Cobbles Bar in Louth, Lincolnshire United Kingdom

I left the book on the public piano outside the Cobbles Bar. Just visible behind the piano is a fellow who was playing John Lennon’s “Imagine” as I first arrived.

More info on the piano:

As reported in the local press (The Louth Leader, 21 June 2018, by James Silcocks), Ben Young bought a piano off eBay, and “commissioned his friend David Pollard, the Head of Art at De Aston School in Market Rasen, to supervise his Year 9-12 pupils while they created artwork for the piano.” The piano was then put outside the Cobbles Bar to be available for the public. “Special credit should go to Mia Richardson and Eva Finney, both Year 10 students who spent hours of their free time creating the artwork.”