The Tenth Circle: A Novel

by Jodi Picoult | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 074349671x Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingAceofHeartswing of Mississauga, Ontario Canada on 3/29/2007
Journal Entry 1 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Thursday, March 29, 2007
From the Publisher
Fourteen-year-old Trixie Stone is in love for the first time. She''s also the light of her father, Daniel''s life -- a straight-A student; a pretty, popular freshman in high school; a girl who''s always seen her father as a hero. That is, until her world is turned upside down with a single act of violence. Suddenly everything Trixie has believed about her family -- and herself -- seems to be a lie. Could the boyfriend who once made Trixie wild with happiness have been the one to end her childhood forever? She says that he is, and that is all it takes

Journal Entry 2 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Friday, March 30, 2007
Reading right now.

Journal Entry 3 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Thursday, April 05, 2007
Trixie Stone thought she had it all until her boyfriend dumped her. In an effort to do anything to get him back, she lies to her dad to go to a party where Jason will be attending. But at the party, Trixie is raped. The book looks at the relationship between Trixie and her parents, as well as their relationship, and exposes all of them as liars. They lie to each other and lie to themselves.
I felt the most sympathetic towards Daniel, Trixie's father. He did everything he possibly could for his daughter and in the one moment where he gets distracted by his wife's affair, Trixie gets hurt. I wasn't sure how to feel about Trixie because it was unclear as to whether or not she lied about her rape. But that being said, after being told by so many people that she was a liar, she showed tremendous courage by keeping her ground.
I didn't much like Laura. I felt she was much too self-centred. Although the whole parallel with Dante was very interesting. That also parallels the graphic novel that Daniel has written. However I felt like the graphic novel would have had more impact if it was a bit more detailed. The illustrations were quite amazing, even though I thought I was looking at Wolverine from X-Men on the first page.
It would have been nice to know what happened with Willie and Trixie after her parents got her. There was obviously chemistry there, would they continue to be in contact with each other?
As usual, Picoult's books are hard to put down and the characters are very involved. A good read!

Journal Entry 4 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Monday, April 09, 2007
using for a swap at the Charleston Convention

Journal Entry 5 by Apolonia from Lynn, Massachusetts USA on Monday, March 03, 2008
How did I forget to journal this book? I was so on top of journaling books from the convention, I had my laptop with me so I journaled most of them there. Sorry for the delay in journaling. I will be passing this on soon.

Warning plot details ahead:

I liked this book, like Jodi Picoult's other books it was hard to put down. You do expect surprises in her books once you've read a few so some of the unexpected turns weren't so unexpected. I thought it ended a little too abruptly. I am assuming that Joseph was Daniel's father. Did that ever go anywhere? Willie and Trixie did seem to connect, did that go any further? What happened with the mother? Did the family stay in Bethel? The book just felt a little unresolved for me. Even with all that I will reccomend it to others.

Journal Entry 6 by Apolonia from Lynn, Massachusetts USA on Friday, March 14, 2008
I offered this book in the So Good swap over at www.bookobsessed.com.
I will be sending it to Gothamgal.
Enjoy!!

Journal Entry 7 by gothamgal on Monday, March 24, 2008
Apolonia was kind enough to send this to me for a swap. I LOVE the art, reminds me of Wolverine.
Can't wait to read it. Eek!

Thanks again for sending it!

Journal Entry 8 by gothamgal on Wednesday, March 26, 2008
I can't believe it, but it only took me about a day to read this. It was pretty good. I'm so glad I ended up with this is in the swap!
I really liked the graphic novel pieces thrown in, apparently there is a word or phrase spelled out in panels that you can enter at teh author's site to access a secret page or something.

The ending was good, but I had a feeling about 100 pages beforehand that that might be the ending. Picoult is really good about writing characters you want to hear more about, but sometimes the plots/endings are really easy to figure out.

Journal Entry 9 by TinkEsq from Akron, Ohio USA on Wednesday, April 02, 2008
I hear so much about Jodi Picoult and I still haven't read one of her novels. Loved her work with the Wonder Woman comics last year though. And this one sounds pretty interesting.
8.20.08 - This was interesting. And I really liked the comic book elements. Picoult is definitely a good story teller.
8.27.08 - Sending as trade.

Journal Entry 10 by GrizzlyGirl from Fraser, Michigan USA on Sunday, September 07, 2008
Thanks TinkEsq! It arrived in Phoenix safely :)

Journal Entry 11 by GrizzlyGirl from Fraser, Michigan USA on Saturday, September 05, 2009
I enjoyed the story, but not as much as My Sister's Keeper.

Journal Entry 12 by GrizzlyGirl at Peoria, Arizona USA on Tuesday, March 15, 2011
MIA! I have no idea if I lent this to someone or if its hiding in the house, but I can';t find it. Hopefully someone is enjoying it!