God Delusion, The

by Richard Dawkins | Religion & Spirituality |
Registered by id-rather-be-at of Sydney, New South Wales Australia on 3/28/2007
Journal Entry 1 by id-rather-be-at from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, March 28, 2007
Grace Brothers had a sale and I couldn't go past this at a tad over twenty bucks :)

Journal Entry 2 by id-rather-be-at from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, May 09, 2007
I couldn't finish reading this one. It seems to me like it's based on asserting that religion is bad, and so asserting that everyone should become an atheist, because atheism is the way to go . . . I'd put forward that the latter is exactly the sort of thing that the authour does not like about religion.

Will be bookringed soon.

Journal Entry 3 by id-rather-be-at at Bookray in Bookray, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, May 13, 2007

Released 11 yrs ago (5/13/2007 UTC) at Bookray in Bookray, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

will be posting to leeny37 today

Journal Entry 4 by leeny37 from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, May 15, 2007
Received today, thanks for sharing this, id-rather-be-at!

From Amazon.com:
The antireligion wars started by Daniel Dennett and Sam Harris will heat up even more with this salvo from celebrated Oxford biologist Dawkins. For a scientist who criticizes religion for its intolerance, Dawkins has written a surprisingly intolerant book, full of scorn for religion and those who believe. But Dawkins, who gave us the selfish gene, anticipates this criticism. He says it's the scientist and humanist in him that makes him hostile to religions—fundamentalist Christianity and Islam come in for the most opprobrium—that close people's minds to scientific truth, oppress women and abuse children psychologically with the notion of eternal damnation. While Dawkins can be witty, even confirmed atheists who agree with his advocacy of science and vigorous rationalism may have trouble stomaching some of the rhetoric: the biblical Yahweh is "psychotic," Aquinas's proofs of God's existence are "fatuous" and religion generally is "nonsense." The most effective chapters are those in which Dawkins calms down, for instance, drawing on evolution to disprove the ideas behind intelligent design. In other chapters, he attempts to construct a scientific scaffolding for atheism, such as using evolution again to rebut the notion that without God there can be no morality. He insists that religion is a divisive and oppressive force, but he is less convincing in arguing that the world would be better and more peaceful without it.

Journal Entry 5 by id-rather-be-at from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, June 10, 2007
I'm cleaning up my bookshelf and putting my lists on th reevant book page. The list for this bookring is

leeny37
Wirigerie
Arrietty
HINERANGI
georgieandkids
Shelly-Sparkles
catsalive

Journal Entry 6 by leeny37 from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Thursday, June 14, 2007
Just posting a quick update, this book is still with me! Sorry for taking so long, but it's a massive book and it's taking me a while! Thank you for your patience :) I will try to hurry it up though!

Journal Entry 7 by leeny37 from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Saturday, July 14, 2007
I'm sorry I've held this for so long, but I just don't seem to be in the mood for this book at this stage -- I keep putting it down every time I pick it up. I already have Wirigerie's address, so I will send it on its way tomorrow. I will probably have to source my own copy and go through it when I'm ready. Thanks for sharing though, id-rather-be-at!

Released 11 yrs ago (7/16/2007 UTC) at Post office: Mailed to another bookcrosser in Australia, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Mailed off to the next participant, Wirigerie, via a prepaid Express Post satchel, tracking #: SV6913069.

Journal Entry 9 by Wirigerie from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Wednesday, July 18, 2007
Arrived safe and sound and I've already read the first chapter.

Journal Entry 10 by Wirigerie from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Tuesday, October 09, 2007
As an athiest Richard Dawkins was preaching to the choir with me and even I felt he pushed a bit hard to make his point.

The last chapter about how much of our literature comes from the bible was very enlightening.

I don't think that believers or agnostics will be swayed by Dawkin's book. I think he is too strident in his opinions to be able to change someone's mind.

Passing to Arriety at tonight's meetup.

Journal Entry 11 by Arrietty from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Sunday, October 21, 2007
Received from Wirigerie at last meetup and forgot to journal. So sorry. I saw the TV doco and I was interested in comparing the book. I read Wirigerie's thoughts and I already agree with you -don't think he'll convert anyone. I was quite surprised by how condescending he was to the religious folk - although some of them were a little cuckoo. Thanks - my partner is going to skim it too but we won't keep it too long.

Journal Entry 12 by Arrietty from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Saturday, December 29, 2007
Hinerangi has been away unexpectedly on family matters, so passed the book on to my partner (honorary BXer!) to read. He enjoyed it very much especially the reference to alternative religions such as Pastafarians which he is now going to join!

Sorry to have kept the book for so long, I have mailed it to Hinerangi now as she is back home. thanks id-rather for starting the ring.

Journal Entry 13 by HINERANGI from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Thursday, January 31, 2008
I've got so many other things on my mind at the moment that I'm falling way behind with my *obligatory* reading - but I'm catching up! ;o)

Still ploughing my way through this - I find a little Dawkins goes a long way, and his discursive style makes reading more than a chapter or two at a time a bit of a task, but I'll be finished soon, and mail it to the next person.

Journal Entry 14 by HINERANGI from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Friday, February 15, 2008
Was a bit disappointed by this - particularly after all the hype and bullshit. Maybe Mike Trollstigen's enthusiastic review on Book Talk made me expect something out of the ordinary, but frankly, a lot of this book reads in much the same *tone* as some of those sententious works on *how I found Jesus and learned how wrong everyone else still is* that the more naive propaganda wings of the various churches distribute.

Dawkins is not the most elegant of writers, and has an infuriating tendency to gallop wildly off after side-issues in the middle of an exposition, that I find very irritating! Much of the book is devoted to denouncing or debunking Christianity, and to a lesser extent, Judaism and Islam, but it is done from the viewpoint of an absolute acceptance of Darwinian Evolutionary theory. This may not sound too unreasonable, given that Dawkins is a self-proclaimed Atheist, but he rather negates the strength, if not the validity, of much of his argument by his naked hostility to those who are not so convinced. He expresses contempt for Agnostics, not it seems because they remain undecided, but because they have been shown the (Darwinian) light, and yet refuse to believe, yet he is seemingly unaware of just how much this is in the manner of your average Fundamentalist God-Botherer.
I liked his dissection of the lunacies of the Bible - and am whole-heartedly in agreement with his opinion of the God of the OT as "a fiercely unpleasant God, morbidly obsessed with sexual restrictions, with the smell of charred flesh, with his superiority over rival gods...(a) psychotic delinquent", and his scathing observations about the Book of Genesis and the simplistic beliefs of modern Creationists.
Dawkins is at his best in his denunciation of the pervasive viciousness of religion, and its hypocrisy when masquerading under the disguise of *universal love*. He has a good grasp of the politics of theology as played out in the past, and takes a keen knife to the layers of self-serving sanctimony hiding the greed and power-hunger of organised religion.
I liked his attitude towards women - I've encountered few male writers who are so openly prepared to denounce the historical treatment of women without first qualifying their arguments in some manner - five stars for that, Mr. Dawkins: *****.
To sum up: a flawed book, spoiled by Dawkins' passion for his own science, which in many places leads him to argue from the viewpoint of personal conviction, rather than simple reason, and by his determination to deny to religion any shred of virtue or value. Marred also by his uncontrolled tendency to gallop of into the distance after a side argument, leaving the reader to follow as best they may, and the very accademic trait of introducing a subject, only to tell the reader that it will be dealt with in a later chapter.
At times a little shrill, but on the whole, well reasoned, passionate and absorbing. Glad I read it - don't think it really covers any new ground, and certainly isn't the definitive book on Atheism (that's yet to be written)
Thanks Id-rather-be-at.

Finally, I was much taken by this quote from George Carlin, which Dawkins uses at the beginning of Chapter 8. It says it all:
Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man - living in the sky - who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time.... But he Loves you!

Will be sending this on to Georgeandkids next week.

Journal Entry 15 by georgieandkids from Perth City, Western Australia Australia on Tuesday, May 13, 2008
Plans are to send this to Shelly Sparkles as of the end of the week.

Journal Entry 16 by Shelly-Sparkles on Monday, May 26, 2008
Mixed reviews I see re this book.
I will give it a crack.
Thanks for passing it along to me with the sweets!
Happy Days.

Update 27th June.
I have moved house recently and simply am not in reading mode.
As this is a pass along book I have contacted Catsalive for her address and will forward the book to her.

Posted today 16th July. Soz moved house and was un-organised.
Went to the library last night and there this book was on audio! Popped it in the CD player on the way to work today and yup I am gonna like this book. It is actually read by the author who has a great voice to listen too. Should be a very thought provoking read, seeing that I am a non believer and my brother and his family are belivers.

Journal Entry 17 by catsalive from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Friday, July 18, 2008
Book is here. Thanks Shelly-Sparkles.

Journal Entry 18 by catsalive from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, September 05, 2009
I enjoyed this very much. I thought Dawkins went to great pains to give a measured view of the improbability of the existence of various imaginary friends. His writing is humorous, too, which surprised me as this is the first book of his that I've read. There were a few passages that I got bogged down in, probably because they were pushing my understanding, but mostly I found it easy reading. I love his outrage at the psychological abuse so many children are subjected too. I felt his point was to give one to think, and found nothing to suggest he was attempting to brainwash....the exact opposite of most religious writings.

Released 8 yrs ago (10/22/2010 UTC) at Dalgety Square Apartments Library, 99 Jones St in Ultimo, New South Wales Australia

Unconventional barby release

Journal Entry 20 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Wednesday, October 27, 2010
Picked up at the convention barbeque. Richard Dawkins has long been a hero of mine.

v

Journal Entry 21 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, March 11, 2011
I want a t-shirt that says "Richard Dawkins is a god" :-)

I'm surprised how many previous journallers didn't enjoy this book, because I loved it. Dawkins is one of the great popularist science writers, able to explain difficult concepts clearly but without condescension, and in this book he takes a fascinating look at the illogic (and outright dangers) of religious thought. Yes, I'm a confirmed atheist, so he's preaching to the converted in me, but he still raised a number of points I hadn't considered - like the ethics of assigning a religion to children.

It's just unfortunate that the people most in need of this book are precisely those who'd never pick it up.

^

Journal Entry 22 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (6/29/2011 UTC) at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Sent to the Gap Filler Project.

Happy bookcrossing to the finder!

v

P.S. If you live in the Christchurch area, you might like to join us at our monthly bookcrossing meetups. For details, see the BCNZ Yahoo Group.

Journal Entry 23 by gapfiller at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Sunday, July 17, 2011
This book is part of a Gap Filler project. Books that have made people THINK DIFFERENTLY about an aspect of their lives have been donated to our book exchange that has been set up in a fridge on an empty site created by the Christchurch earthquake.

Find the fridge on the corner of Kilmore and Barbadoes Streets.

Deposit a book, share a book, take a book away!

Read more about Gap Filler http://www.gapfiller.org.nz