The River King

by Alice Hoffman | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Nell-Lu of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 3/25/2007
Journal Entry 1 by Nell-Lu from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, March 25, 2007
The more I read of Alice Hoffman's fiction, the more impressed I am.

This book is a lovely - although haunting - exploration of boundaries, identity and secrets. There are several main characters, and one strength of the book is that they all come to life and the reader cares about all of them. The brittle bravado of teenage rebels Gus and Carlin - and their essential innocence - is contrasted with the experience and past mistakes of Helen Davis and Abe Grey, who lost their innocence through exposure to other people's despair. Photographer Betsy floats between the extremes, oddly detached and inexperienced yet seeing everything (including some impossibilities revealed through her camera lens). The writing is smooth and very immersive; all the senses are evoked, particularly scent, closely tied as it is to memory. The rivalries and tensions between, and within, a small town and an exclusive fee-paying school are played out towards an inevitable, but in some ways redemptive, end.

This copy has different covers to the picture here - it's the QPD softback edition. I'm going to start a bookray.

Book ray complete!

Journal Entry 2 by Nell-Lu from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, April 9, 2007
All packaged up and ready to go to fairy-dust: it will start its journey today if the Post Office is open, or tomorrow if not. Happy reading, fairy-dust!

Journal Entry 3 by rem_JLG-206842 on Saturday, April 14, 2007
I've not been at home for a couple of days but I'm told this arrived on Thursday. Thank you! I'll start reading it this weekend - maybe even later on while I'm sat in the garden soaking up the sun!

Journal Entry 4 by Nell-Lu from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, April 23, 2007
platypussj asked to join this ray ages ago, but I have been having problems with the BookCrossing site since the server upgrades at the beginning of April. I'm no longer able to edit JEs, so I haven't been able to add platypussj to the bookray list. So, fairy-dust, could you send the book to platypussj next, please? That way s/he won't be forgotten. Then, when platypussj has finished reading, the book can travel to kera and make its way down the rest of the list as planned.

Journal Entry 5 by rem_JLG-206842 on Monday, April 23, 2007
I liked this - it wasn't as good as the last Alice Hoffman book I read, but I still liked it. There's something about her books that I love - they have such a magical quality about them and I love it! I was a bit disappointed at with the ending but I don't really want to say why because I might give it away and ruin it for other people! I'll still definitely keep my eyes open for more of her books.

I posted this out to Kera today. When I came on to find out who was next, Nell-Lu hadn't made that last journal entry so I didn't know about plattypussj! I'm so sorry! I feel awful - hopefully you'll still be able to read it. I'm so sorry if I've messed things up! :( Thanks for sharing though Nell-Lu!

Journal Entry 6 by Nell-Lu from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, April 23, 2007
Sorry, fairy-dust: I knew that a random JE announcing changes to the list wasn't a great idea, but I did it anyway! Entirely my bad. I've PMed kera and asked if s/he can send the book to platypussj when finished. Then, platypussj can pass it on to Annodyne and we'll be back on course.

Journal Entry 7 by Kera from Brixham, Devon United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 24, 2007
Received in the post today, will get onto this book as soon as possible and will then forward onto platypussj

Journal Entry 8 by Kera from Brixham, Devon United Kingdom on Thursday, May 3, 2007
Finished this book a few days ago and thought that it was a well written novel.

Will be posting off today to platypussj for them to enjoy.

Thanks for letting me take part Nell-Lu :)

Journal Entry 9 by platypussj from Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, May 5, 2007
Arrived this morning. Ironically, I'm reading Turtle Moon at the moment (same author) which is another bookring. I have another book after that and then this one! Bookrings seem to have co-ordinated themselves rather well - until now! However, I'm sure that I will read this one and be ready to pass it on well within a month (God willing).

Journal Entry 10 by platypussj from Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 22, 2007
I really enjoyed reading this, I have decided that I like Alice Hoffman's books very much. There were one or two things that I would have liked to have seen resolved - but life's like that, we don't always get all the answers.

The mysticism threads through the book beautifully, sometimes overtly, sometimes a mere suggestion; this is perhaps what I appreciate most about the writing.

Thank you for sharing, Nell-Lu. I've sent The River King to Annodyne today.

Journal Entry 11 by Annodyne from Sale, Cheshire United Kingdom on Friday, May 25, 2007

Arrived at my place yesterday. Thank you to Nell-Lu for organising the bookring,and platypussj for sending it on.

I have about 100 pages of another book to finish, and then I will be straight into this. I love Alice Hoffman, and look forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 12 by Annodyne from Sale, Cheshire United Kingdom on Friday, June 1, 2007
This is the third of Alice Hoffman's novels that I've read, and she is getting to be the kind of author whose work I know that I will enjoy before I've even opened the book.

Like other readers, I love that magical/mystical thread that imbues her work, and really marks her out as having a very distinctive style of her own.

This one is particularly good. As ever, it is beautifully written, the characters evoke our sympathies and attention from the start, and the plot...well, apart from one very obvious relationship outcome, there are plenty of surprises.

I have leah0805's address, and will be sending it on its way to her tomorrow.

2/6/07 - Posted today.

Journal Entry 13 by leah0805 from Colwick, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Friday, June 8, 2007
The book arrived while I was on holiday, but I've just started it now! Thanks to Annodyne for sending it on and to Nell-Lu of course!

Journal Entry 14 by leah0805 from Colwick, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Friday, June 15, 2007
I finished this book yesterday and loved it! Alice Hoffman has a brilliant style and even the more magical elements of this book seem real. I know my Mum's got a lot of her books at home, so I'll be off riffling through the bookshelves!

I'm posting it on the book-man-8 later this afternoon! Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 15 by book-man-8 from Tübingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Wednesday, June 20, 2007
The book arrived today. Thanks "Nell-Lu" for the ray and "leah0805" for sending. As we are in the middle of moving, I barely get time to read, so it might take a while longer than usual. I hope that the book will travel on sometime in August.

Journal Entry 16 by book-man-8 from Tübingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Wednesday, August 8, 2007
Well, the move went well but was really stressing: for weeks no time to read a book! Now I just breezed through this one: It is astounding, surprising and in some parts even a little bit dreamy. A nice reading, glad that I got the opportunity to do so with bookcrossing! Sorry again to have kept it for so long!

As "priceliss" already has her own copy of this book, the bookray has found an end with me. I'll see to it to get it released in an appropriated place. Thanks!

Edit August 10: as "silvia-pco" previously asked to be put at the end of the ray, she will now get this book!

The book is off to "silivia-pco". Enjoy!

Journal Entry 18 by silvia-pco from Murtosa, Aveiro Portugal on Tuesday, August 14, 2007
Arrived! I''ll try to be brief.

Journal Entry 19 by silvia-pco from Murtosa, Aveiro Portugal on Thursday, June 26, 2008
Hey there :)
I haven't read this book yet, and unfortunately I'll have to send it along without doing so. My TBR pile is huge, and I'm doing a sort of "clean up", sending along most of the books I have with me. I'm sorry for not reading it, but huge TBR piles ask for radical measures...

I'll PM book-man-8 and send it along ASAP.

Edit:
book-man-8 has already read it. I'm waiting for priceliss' answer.