The Night Watch

by Sarah Waters | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 159448905x Global Overview for this book
Registered by Cinnamon-Girl of Newnan, Georgia USA on 3/23/2007
Journal Entry 1 by Cinnamon-Girl from Newnan, Georgia USA on Friday, March 23, 2007
I love everything I've read by Sarah Waters and this book is no exception. You can read more of my comments at my book blog: The Night Watch. I've decided to set it up as an international bookring to see what my fellow BookCrossers think of it.

Journal Entry 2 by Cinnamon-Girl from Newnan, Georgia USA on Tuesday, June 05, 2007
This book is ready to begin its travels. Sending off tomorrow to ealasaidmae ~ enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by ealasaidmae from New Orleans, Louisiana USA on Tuesday, June 12, 2007
Got it! This is third on Mt. TBR.

Journal Entry 4 by ealasaidmae from New Orleans, Louisiana USA on Monday, June 25, 2007
An unusual ten rating! I loved this book. It was especially sweet because I'd just read "Fingersmith" and didn't enjoy it as much as I'd hoped. Now I'm in love with Sarah Waters all over again. In fact, this may have replaced "Tipping the Velvet" as my favorite Waters book. As always, her characters and her attention to detail are stunning. She's reminded me of why I love historical fiction; it does what history books never do - illustrate the ordinary lives still going on, every day, even in the chaos of a Historical Event.

Journal Entry 5 by ealasaidmae from New Orleans, Louisiana USA on Tuesday, June 26, 2007
Mailed to KatieLindsay today, delivery conf# 0306 0320 0001 3085 9709

Journal Entry 6 by KatieLindsay from Morganton, North Carolina USA on Monday, July 23, 2007
I received this book a couple of weeks ago and am very much enjoying!!! Great setting/time period research and description and the characters are so engaging...
Sorry for not journaling sooner.
It should be on its way again before too long.

Journal Entry 7 by KatieLindsay from Morganton, North Carolina USA on Monday, August 06, 2007
I enjoyed this book. The characters were really deeply developed and the setting was superb. It really put me in the middle of bombed-out London. I love strong women...

However, it was a little more sexually graphic/mature than I usually enjoy. I felt like it was really missing a certain amount of grounding but maybe that was intentional given the dramatic setting and turmoil of the time.

It was very strange to have the story told backwards and I felt a bit jilted not being told what happened going forward. I really fear for Helen... her relationship with Julia is hardly healthy... and what is going to happen to Viv and Duncan? I don't feel like the reader is left with enough hope for the outcome. I don't like overly bleak endings and I was really thrown off that the novel ended on page 178 and proceeded like a train reck in reverse.

I think of all the women I most identified with Kay. I saw her as kind, sensative, very drawn to beauty and also very strong and nurturing. I was really hurt for her. I wonder which character other readers most identified with?

I will send it on as soon as I get RRRcaron's address.

Journal Entry 8 by Rrrcaron from Lancaster, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, August 26, 2007
I received this book in the mail yesterday. I have a few to read beforehand, but it shouldn't take long.
Ruth

Journal Entry 9 by bestfriends from - Ergens in de provincie, Gelderland Netherlands on Thursday, January 03, 2008
In my mailbox today. The ring is moving again!

I enjoyed "Fingersmith" and "Tipping the Velvet". Looking forward to this one too. I have one book to finish but no other rings/rays waiting, so I hope it won't take too long.

Journal Entry 10 by bestfriends from - Ergens in de provincie, Gelderland Netherlands on Wednesday, January 16, 2008
It was quite a struggle to finish this one! As a matter of fact I'm surprised I did. After about 100 pages I already wanted to give up. I persisted mainly because of the great London-in-WWII setting and the sympathy for certain characters. However, the going backwards in time annoyed me very much!

Not quite as good as "Tipping the Velvet" and "Fingersmith", not to me anyway!

I have penelopewanders' address, but she asked me to hang on to the book a while longer as she's a little overwhelmed with rings and rays right now. Will mail it to her next week by (slower) economy mail.

Will take part in the 2008 Keep them Moving Challenge

Thanks for sharing.

Off to Switzerland. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 12 by wingpenelopewanderswing from Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Tuesday, January 29, 2008
This has now arrived safely in the sunny Alps - along with about three other rings. I'll get to it as soon as I can. Thanks so much for making this available!

Journal Entry 13 by wingpenelopewanderswing from Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Thursday, February 21, 2008
Well, Fingersmith remains my favorite. The technique of moving back through three successive periods of time feels like a bit of a gimmick. I would have liked it better, I think, if Waters had looped the loop by bringing us back to the "present" or a more recent episode at anyrate as a means of conclusion. I'm not sure what the intention was - perhaps to make us feel we are sinking further and further? Somewhere in the first third or so I began to feel a bit irritated by the claustrophobia of the story - and this I think was in the postwar bit - just the jealousy and narrowness of the couples felt not quite worthy of a novel. I did appreciate the way the period was portrayed, and Waters does write very well. I had no trouble zipping through the book, but was left with a bit of a "could do better" feel. I am very glad to have read this though, I've read everything of hers I've been able to get my hands on and this was high on my TBR list... thank you so much for making it available. I've PMed for the next address.

Heading from the Swiss Alps to the UK. Thanks so much for making this available.

Journal Entry 15 by fushmush from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, March 17, 2008
Received today. Should be next on my TBR pile.

Journal Entry 16 by fushmush from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, March 27, 2008
Like most I really hated the telling the story backwards plot device. At the beginning I rushed through because I was interested to know the history. I think also the interaction between the characters at the start loses its impact as you don't know the back story. I was extremely disappointed at the end when we weren't returned to the present for some closure. It's like there is a missing chapter.

An average read from Waters. No where near as good as Fingersmith or Tipping the Velvet.

Will PM the next in line. Thanks for sharing Cinnamon-Girl :D

Update (01/04/08): No reply from Emily2. Trying again.
Update (07/04/08): Still no reply from Emily2. PM next in line. Herrgirl asked to be skipped. PM next in line.
Update (14/04/08): I have an address. Yay! Will send it on this week.

Journal Entry 17 by raeliz64 from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Thursday, April 17, 2008
Received today. Thanks very much.

Journal Entry 18 by raeliz64 from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 21, 2008
I enjoyed the book alot - Fingersmith is still my favourite Waters book though. I didn't think I would like the backward in time thing, but it didn't bother me at all, however, like penelopewanders I would have liked another part to bring us back to the 'present'.

Journal Entry 19 by raeliz64 from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 31, 2008
Posted to beekeeper40 today.

Journal Entry 20 by beekeeper40 from Hoveton, Norfolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 10, 2008
Received safely thanks!

Journal Entry 21 by beekeeper40 from Hoveton, Norfolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 27, 2008
Sorry for keeping this so long - now off to Greece to the next participant.

Journal Entry 22 by annadvarna on Tuesday, September 02, 2008
I just received it, thanks a lot!

Journal Entry 23 by chambejd from Millbury, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, December 18, 2008
This has arrived at my house! I'm really excited to read it! Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 24 by chambejd from Millbury, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, February 03, 2009
A good book but not a favorite. I was more interested in the future of the characters than their pasts.

ETA: Mailed back on 2/6/09.

Journal Entry 25 by Cinnamon-Girl from Newnan, Georgia USA on Friday, March 06, 2009
This book has arrived safely back home and I plan to wild release soon so some lucky reader will discover the traveling this book has already done.

Thanks to all who joined the ring and kept the book safe in its travels! I appreciated your comments and am glad you participated.

Journal Entry 26 by Cinnamon-Girl at Fredericksburg Pub in Fredericksburg, Virginia USA on Saturday, September 26, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (9/26/2009 UTC) at Fredericksburg Pub in Fredericksburg, Virginia USA

Since this book is set in London, I figured it was appropriate to release it at a British-style restaurant. Left on a ledge just inside the entrance.