Jonathan Livingston Seagull

by Richard Bach | Religion & Spirituality |
Registered by Antof9 of Lakewood, Colorado USA on 4/13/2007
Journal Entry 1 by Antof9 from Lakewood, Colorado USA on Friday, April 13, 2007
Pre-numbered label used for registration.

I recently told someone I had a copy of this book, and then realized belatedly that I didn't! What a dope.

I love that this book is written by our own zzfriend!

Anyway, after realizing I was a big fat liar and didn't have a copy of this, I decided I'd find one inexpensively, read it, and send it on as promised ... even though it's 3 weeks late! And because I had such a positive experience with the bookseller, I thought I'd put the note I wrote them here. Basically, I'm all for encouraging people for good service! So here's what I wrote to yesterday's muse of whom I am now a big fan:
I recently ordered Jonathan Livingston Seagull from you through B&N's used or out of print section.

Anyway, the same day I also ordered another book from another store in the same section of bn.com. Both packages recently arrived. Yours was in great shape, better than I expected, and I really appreciated the extra trouble you went to to wrap the book inside the envelope (the "thanks" stamp made me smile, too). The other bookseller, however, took no trouble, and played fast and loose with the term "good" to describe the condition of the book they sent.

I just thought someone should get a pat on the back, and you should know I've kept your business card in a safe place :)

Gratefully,

Me

Journal Entry 2 by Antof9 from Lakewood, Colorado USA on Monday, April 16, 2007
Well, this definitely fits in to the "short books" category! I read it yesterday morning while Unk was packing for a trip :)

This book has it all -- The Power of Positive Thinking, Transcendental Meditation, reincarnation, The Little Engine that Could, aerodynamics, with a little bit of Mr. Miyagi thrown in for good measure.

The inside of the front cover says 1970, but it also says the first printing is 1973. Which explains to me why I was so confused about this book "in my youth". I was only born in 1966, so I must have been *aware* when this book came out and became popular, but I didn't understand it at all! In my remote childhood memories, I always thought it was somewhat of a spiritual book, but didn't really understand it. Oddly enough, one of the biggest questions in my mind was then and still is, why do the seagulls have a first and middle name?! LOL I have no idea, but I find it entertaining ... I realize that it's not a kids' book now.

One part I marked may or may not have been intended as I read it, but here's what I saw. Jonathan is talking to Maynard Gull, whose wing is hurt.
"You don't understand. My wing. I can't move my wing."

"Maynard Gull, you have the freedom to be yourself, your true self, here and now; and nothing can stand in your way. It is the Law of the Great Gull, the Law that Is."

"Are you saying I can fly?"

"I say you are free."

This reminds me so much of the Luke 5 account of the Leper and the Paralytic.
18 And some men were carrying on a bed a man who was paralyzed; and they were trying to bring him in and to set him down in front of Him. 19 But not finding any way to bring him in because of the crowd, they went up on the roof and let him down through the tiles with his stretcher, into the middle of the crowd, in front of Jesus. 20 Seeing their faith, He said, “Friend, your sins are forgiven you.” 21 The scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, “Who is this man who speaks blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone?” 22 But Jesus, aware of their reasonings, answered and said to them, “Why are you reasoning in your hearts? 23 “Which is easier, to say, ‘Your sins have been forgiven you,’ or to say, ‘Get up and walk’? 24 “But, so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins,”—He said to the paralytic—“I say to you, get up, and pick up your stretcher and go home.” 25 Immediately he got up before them, and picked up what he had been lying on, and went home glorifying God. 26 They were all struck with astonishment and began glorifying God; and they were filled with fear, saying, “We have seen remarkable things today.”
Luke 5:18-26

Off to OCcinderella!

Journal Entry 3 by OCbelle from Newport Beach, California USA on Tuesday, May 01, 2007
Thank you soooo much for sending me this book. I will make sure to pass it along when I am done.

Journal Entry 4 by OCbelle from Newport Beach, California USA on Wednesday, May 09, 2007
Very good. This is a sweet and uplifing book, I may read it again.

Journal Entry 5 by OCbelle from Newport Beach, California USA on Wednesday, May 16, 2007
Res for bookring

(olered Oregon USA /Int'l)
then to
(oceanos Thessaloniki Greece/ Int'l)
then to
(MieLH Fyns Amt Denmar /Int'l)
then to
(Rrrcaron New Hampshire /Int'l)
then to
(mysticalzoe New Hampshire /USA/Canada)
then to
(bartonz Washington USA /Int'l)
(OCcinderella)

Released 13 yrs ago (6/2/2007 UTC) at A Bookcrosser in Controlled Release, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Sent to olered

Journal Entry 7 by olered from Salem, Oregon USA on Wednesday, June 06, 2007
Jonathan has arrived on the Pacific Coast (where many of his cousins reside). I read this book in the seventies when it first came out and again and again. Saw the movie, had the soundtrack. And have recently had a hunger to feel all of that again, (without that clarity). Was thrilled to see this book offered as a ring and was dumbstruck that I knew this would make me feel so good!

Journal Entry 8 by olered from Salem, Oregon USA on Thursday, June 07, 2007
Delightful...
I'm going to add a copy of this book to my summer suitcase for reading with my grandchildren (two are teens) on vacation in the San Juans. They will be the third generation in this family to appreciate and love Richard Bach!
I've emailed Gypsygate for her address.

Journal Entry 9 by oceanos from Thessaloniki - Θεσσαλονίκη, Thessaloniki Greece on Sunday, July 08, 2007
Got it! Thank you olered for sending it and for the beautiful card. Will read it soon.

Journal Entry 10 by oceanos from Thessaloniki - Θεσσαλονίκη, Thessaloniki Greece on Wednesday, August 01, 2007
A nice little book to read on holidays especially since seagulls are so connected with my childhood memories but to be honest I expected it to be something more special considering the reputation of the book.
Nevertheless thanks a lot to everyone, especially OCcinderella for giving me the opportunity to read it.

Sent to MielH in Denmark!

Journal Entry 11 by MieLH from Odense, Fyns Amt Denmark on Wednesday, August 01, 2007
Jonathan Livingston Seagull has arrived in Denmark today :)

Journal Entry 12 by MieLH from Odense, Fyns Amt Denmark on Sunday, August 05, 2007
I finished the tiny story about Jonathan and the other gulls today in one sitting. Or in one lying down, actually! I brought the book with me into the garden, and enjoyed one of the few sunny days of this summer in Denmark with this book in my hands.

What a nice little story. My favourite wisdom from this book that makes sense to me in my life right now was this: Break the chains of your thought, and you break the chains of your body, too...

I have PM'ed Rrrcaron and I will pass on the book as soon as I get an address :)

Update August 10, 2007: Rrrcaron PM'ed her address today, and Jonathan, the seagull, will be sent off asap :)

Journal Entry 13 by MieLH from Odense, Fyns Amt Denmark on Monday, August 13, 2007
Sent off to Rrrcaron in the USA today. I hope the book will arrive soon :)

Journal Entry 14 by Rrrcaron from Lancaster, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, August 22, 2007
I received this book in the mail yesterday. I have a few to read beforehand, but it shouldn't take long.
Ruth

Journal Entry 15 by Rrrcaron from Lancaster, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, November 14, 2007
What an uplifting read. Everyone should read this book! We all can "fly" if we really try. I'm so glad I read this. My aplogies for holding this book so long. It will be in the mail to the next reader tomorrow!
Ruth

Journal Entry 16 by rem_EOL-341852 on Saturday, November 17, 2007
I recieved this book yesterday, i have one other book ahead of it, but read asap. Thanks for sharing.

11-18-07

I just finished this book and let me say i get it now, it has a bit of New Age and religion thrown into the mix, but it was very good book, i am glad I got to read it again and finally understand it. Pming the next person.

Released 13 yrs ago (11/26/2007 UTC) at Controlled release sent to fellow bookcrosser Book in Londonderry, New Hampshire USA

finally sending off sorry it took so long! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 18 by bartonz from Bellevue, Washington USA on Saturday, December 01, 2007
It's here and I look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 19 by bartonz from Bellevue, Washington USA on Wednesday, February 06, 2008
Superb! On its way to OCcinderella.

Journal Entry 20 by OCbelle from Newport Beach, California USA on Tuesday, February 19, 2008
Got it back today. Thank you all.

Journal Entry 21 by OCbelle at Zpizza in Huntington Beach, California USA on Sunday, January 18, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (1/17/2009 UTC) at Zpizza in Huntington Beach, California USA

left on top of the other books in the front of the store under the TV and kids toys.