The Bookseller of Kabul

by Asne Seierstad | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by bestfriends of - Ergens in de provincie, Gelderland Netherlands on 3/13/2007
Journal Entry 1 by bestfriends from - Ergens in de provincie, Gelderland Netherlands on Tuesday, March 13, 2007
I remember I found this book in a charityshop just before I joined bookcrossing, so that must have been in the summer of 2005. I never had a chance to register it until now, as it has circled amongst a group of English expats here that exchange books. Unfortunately none of them wants to become a Bookcrosser. You see, once a year they sell most of the books they have meanwhile all read in a sale that benefits their church here. I did read it, but it has left my hands before I knew it, never to come home again until now! A micracle it has not been sold. Well, they seem to know by now I have a different way of sharing books:-).

So it has been a while since I read this, but I remember I liked it a lot.

Reserved for tiatia to fulfill a wish.

November 2007 update:
I wanted to add a link to this interesting discussion in the Book Talk forum about this book.

Journal Entry 2 by bestfriends at surface mail in By Mail, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (3/14/2007 UTC) at surface mail in By Mail, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by tiatia from Fredericksburg, Virginia USA on Thursday, May 17, 2007
Both of us thinking about how long it takes for surface mail to travel "across the pond" must have hurried this book along. It arrived just a few days afer we were bemoaning how slow it seemed to be moving and hoping it wasn't lost in the mail. (love the winter stamps! LOL) This has been on my "to read" list for awhile and I really appreciate having a chance to read it. By coincidence, I just got a copy of her second book. Joy! Big thanks for the RABCK!

Journal Entry 4 by tiatia from Fredericksburg, Virginia USA on Tuesday, September 16, 2008
Yipes, I didn't realize how long I had sat on this book. I have no discipline about reading in the order books arrive. My loss, since I thoroughly enjoyed it. My intellectual knowledge of the factions, turmoil caused by war, hate of foreigners, religious supression, etc. meshed with emotional understanding of Middle East tensions through the characters of this book. I learned more about the area from this book than by following the evening news. And I am so thankful that I am not a woman who must live there.

Journal Entry 5 by tiatia at Springfield, Tennessee USA on Thursday, February 25, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (2/25/2010 UTC) at Springfield, Tennessee USA

Thanks for reading and moving it on....enjoy

Journal Entry 6 by wingbookstogivewing from Springville, Tennessee USA on Monday, March 01, 2010
Received this great book today in the post, thanks so much for sending it to me. I am adding it to the top of the TBR pile then it will be moving on.

Journal Entry 7 by wingbookstogivewing at Springville, Tennessee USA on Thursday, August 26, 2010
A great book that I really enjoyed. It was interesting to read about a different culture. This book will be going out as a bookring!

Please keep the book no longer than 1 month and be sure to journal when you receive it and again when you ship it to the next person.

Shipping order:

kiyoteefoxx-US~US Ship
NMReader-US~Ship
Nancynova-US~Int Ship
Bjorg-Iceland-EU Ship
silvia-pco-Portugal~EU Ship
glitterbee-Germany~EU Ship

Journal Entry 8 by wingbookstogivewing at Littlestown, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, August 26, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (8/26/2010 UTC) at Littlestown, Pennsylvania USA

Released to the first in line for the Bookring, Enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by kiyoteefoxx at Littlestown, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, September 03, 2010
Book came yesterday - read it - not bad - sending it on as soon as I get the next bookcrossers address :)

Journal Entry 10 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Sunday, September 19, 2010
It has arrived and is sharing space with my ring/ray mouunt TBR. Hope to get to it soon

Journal Entry 11 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Tuesday, October 26, 2010
I thought an update would be appropriate for this book.

I contacted svoight and told her I was running behind but I am afraid that work and family has made it a little worse than it was. I have started the book and hope to use what should be a quiet week to help catch up on my reading. I will read as quickly as I can and get it moving again.

Nov 9: I am up to the preparations for the marriage of the two daughters. It is an interesting store

Journal Entry 12 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Saturday, November 13, 2010
I finished the book this afternoon.

I enjoyed the book although it was not what I was expecting. It was an interesting look into family life in Afghanistan.

I do not think I would enjoyed life much as the youngest girl in my family in that society.

Journal Entry 13 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Monday, November 15, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (11/15/2010 UTC) at Herndon, Virginia USA

I will be mailing this on my way home from work

Journal Entry 14 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, November 18, 2010
Got it! One ray ahead of it. Will j/e when I start and PM next in line for addy, so the mailer will be ready to go. Thank you1

Journal Entry 15 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, December 02, 2010
Starting the book today. Have next reader's addy, so will be ready to mail when done.

Journal Entry 16 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, December 18, 2010
Update: still reading. My reading in general has slowed since the leg injuries, mostly because there's no forced 2 hour/day commute reading time. And then the holiday's on top of it.

BUT - Monday starts chuckles' readathon - and this book is the first for that (of course, it will be read this weekend too, but probably not in as much volume!)

I do have the addy for the next person, so it can be out the door as soon as I have a post office driver (still no driving for me).

Journal Entry 17 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, December 23, 2010
A Norwegian woman lived with a family in Afghanistan for a few months, after the fall of the Taliban. This is her rendering of the family, the interaction of the members, and how they treat each other. It's so different from my culture. I don't know, as a woman, if i could have tolerated that amount of oppression - but if that's the way I was raised, how would I know any different?

Some of the book made me very uncomfortable in spots, particularly in the areas where they are describing the American forces. It makes me question our presence in that country - who is right and who is wrong? It's certainly not clear cut.

Journal Entry 18 by wingNancyNovawing at Reykjavík, Reykjavík (Höfuðborgar svæðið) Iceland on Thursday, December 23, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (12/23/2010 UTC) at Reykjavík, Reykjavík (Höfuðborgar svæðið) Iceland

A ray continuing it's journey!

Journal Entry 19 by Bjorg at Reykjavík, Reykjavík (Höfuðborgar svæðið) Iceland on Monday, January 10, 2011
The book arrived today, thanks so much NancyNova, and also for everything you sent with it:)I should be able to start reading it in a few days:)

Journal Entry 20 by Bjorg at Reykjavík, Reykjavík (Höfuðborgar svæðið) Iceland on Wednesday, January 19, 2011
A really good book and so interesting. But it was also difficult to read some parts of it, speacially about how children and women are treated. But I´m glad I did read it.
The next book I will read needs to be uplifting though, am feeling pretty down after reading this one.

Journal Entry 21 by Bjorg at Bookring, -- Por correio / mão própria -- Portugal on Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (1/21/2011 UTC) at Bookring, -- Por correio / mão própria -- Portugal

The book will next travel to Silvia-pco in Portugal:)

Journal Entry 22 by silvia-pco at Murtosa, Aveiro Portugal on Wednesday, January 26, 2011
It's here! I have a few books on my TBR pile (I'm having my end of semester exams right now, so things have been a little crazy!) - but will try to move this along without going over the deadline. I'll keep you posted.

Journal Entry 23 by silvia-pco at Murtosa, Aveiro Portugal on Wednesday, April 13, 2011
I finally was able to pick up the book - I'm sorry I kept it for so long.
It was a great read. I especially liked how the author managed to include the point of view of many different characters in it, that gives the reader a wider perspective about the subject. The chapter where the women go take their bath was particularly disturbing - it's these little things like not being able taking a bath everyday or to go out on the street freely that mess with our minds the most.

All in all, the book was very well written and very easy to read, yet very touching.

I already asked glitterbee for her address and will be sending this on Friday (hopefully I'll have the address by then). Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 24 by silvia-pco at Murtosa, Aveiro Portugal on Monday, October 24, 2011
After reading a message on the Bookrings forum, I realised I hadn't yet updated the status of this bookring.

glitterbee was unable to receive the book by the time I finished, and so I contacted bookstogive in order to move it along. bookstogive was going to try and gather more readers for this little book. Since there was no other news on that I will contact her and see where this fellow will go next :)

Journal Entry 25 by silvia-pco at Murtosa, Aveiro Portugal on Tuesday, October 25, 2011
bookstogive gave me the liberty of releasing the book as I wish, and so this will now be back on travelling, this time as a BookRay! :)

List of participants: (accepting entries! PM me if you want in!)

01.vassilka, Greece
02. okyrhoe, Greece
03. lunatum, Finland
04. Edwardstreet, New Zealand
05. goldenwattle, Australia
06. biisbsw, USA
07. lorettallen, USA

08. LovesOU, USA (USA shipping)
09...

Guidelines (based on JennyC1230's)

1. When you receive book, please make a journal entry.
2. PM the next person on the list for their address.
3. After you read the book, tell us what you thought of it.
4. When you mail the book, make another journal entry to let us know.
5. I'll set the reading deadline as 2 months; I know what it feels like to have a huge Mount TBR and the struggle one does to keep up with the deadlines, so I'll be flexible here. If you are having trouble and need to keep it for a little longer, that's cool: just PM me or make a JE so that we can know it hasn't been forgotten.
6. If you're the last person on the list, you're free to keep it, continue the Bookray, start a Bookring... it's up to you!
8. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 26 by silvia-pco at Greece, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Monday, November 07, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (11/4/2011 UTC) at Greece, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

On its way to vassilka! I hope it'll arrive safely and that you will all enjoy it :)

Journal Entry 27 by vassilka at Larissa / Λάρισα, Larisa Greece on Tuesday, November 08, 2011
The book arrived this morning:-) Thank you silvia-pco for sending it to me! I just finished reading another book so I'll start reading this one right away.

Journal Entry 28 by vassilka at Larissa / Λάρισα, Larisa Greece on Saturday, November 19, 2011
A liked the book very much. Although I have read other books about Middle East, the way women and children are treated is always a shock to me! I liked the fact that in each chapter the narration is made by a different member of the family. Some stories were really heart breaking like Leila's as well as the children's who had to work so hard or the carpenter's story. These people lack of basic rights even after the Talibans' period and for us who live completely differently all these seem cruel,wrong,unfair,absurd.

Journal Entry 29 by vassilka at Larissa / Λάρισα, Larisa Greece on Saturday, November 19, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (11/21/2011 UTC) at Larissa / Λάρισα, Larisa Greece

Thank you all the previous bookcrossers who helped this book start and continue its journey! I'm going to post it on Monday afternoon to the next reader who is okyrhoe in Athens. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 30 by okyrhoe at Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Tuesday, November 22, 2011
Arrived in Athens. Thanks silvia-pco for including me in the ray, and vassilka for posting the book to me!

(link to 2007 Book Talk forum discussion)

Journal Entry 31 by okyrhoe at Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Wednesday, January 11, 2012
(reserved for comments)

Journal Entry 32 by okyrhoe at bookray, By Post -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (1/11/2012 UTC) at bookray, By Post -- Controlled Releases

On its way by post to lunatum.

Journal Entry 33 by winglunatumwing at Savukoski, Lappi / Lappland Finland on Monday, January 16, 2012
The book just arrived. I have two ring/ray books ahead of this.

Journal Entry 34 by winglunatumwing at Savukoski, Lappi / Lappland Finland on Thursday, February 23, 2012
Also I enjoyed the book. It is always nice to read about cultures I don't know well.

Thank you for sharing this book with us!

I'll mail this forward next Monday (I'm on my holiday right now and I don't have my bc-address book with me.

Journal Entry 35 by winglunatumwing at Savukoski, Lappi / Lappland Finland on Thursday, March 01, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (3/1/2012 UTC) at Savukoski, Lappi / Lappland Finland

The book is on it's way to next reader.

Journal Entry 36 by wingEdwardstreetwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Saturday, March 10, 2012
Been travelling for work, and arrived home, late,tired and grumpy, delightful to find a book all the way from Finland in my letter box. Will enjoy staying in bed and reading in the morning. Thanks for the book, the wee gifts and the lovely stamps on the parcel.

Read in a single sitting and on its way to Goldenwattle, next on the list.
A moment in the history of Afghanistan, a country so blighted by war, fanaticism, sexism and so much worse now I suspect.
I am somewhat sceptical that the author without the language got so much back story and learnt so much about this family. But we will never know. The quick split of the family was very rushed and not that well explained at the end.

Journal Entry 38 by winggoldenwattlewing at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Monday, April 02, 2012
I found this book in my letter box today. Thank you Edwardstreet for posting it.

Journal Entry 39 by winggoldenwattlewing at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Friday, April 06, 2012
The author wrote, “I have rarely been as angry as I was with the Khan family, and I have rarely quarrelled as much as I did there. Nor have I had the urge to hit anyone as much as I did there. The same thing was continually provoking me: the manner in which men treated women.”
If Afghanistan were a person it would be committed. It is a sick country with major problems, and the problems are not just the war; they go deeper and further back in history than that. The way women are not treated as human beings is the outstanding one.
I was not shocked by the book, because the treatment of women was how I expected it. I was saddened and angered though.
I am waiting on biisbsw’s address.

Journal Entry 40 by winggoldenwattlewing at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (4/10/2012 UTC) at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia

I posted the book airmail today to biisbsw in the USA. The book and envelope were exactly 250 grams. One more gram would have cost $7 extra, and I would have sent the book seamail. Instead hang on tightly little book and get there safely.

Journal Entry 41 by biisbsw at Endicott, New York USA on Tuesday, April 24, 2012
Arrived here safely a couple days ago. I have a few books ahead of this one but I'm eager to read this book and will get to it shortly. Thanks so much!

Journal Entry 42 by biisbsw at Endicott, New York USA on Friday, August 03, 2012
Oh my! I'm sorry; I did not realize I had this book so long. I did just finish reading it and am waiting for the next person's address to move it on.

Edit 8/6/12: I just got the next reader's address so I should be able to get this out within the next couple of days. Thanks for the opportunity to read this book. I'm glad I did.

Journal Entry 43 by biisbsw at Endicott, New York USA on Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (8/8/2012 UTC) at Endicott, New York USA

Off to the next reader!

Journal Entry 44 by lorettallen at Portland, Maine USA on Monday, August 27, 2012
Got this in the mail - thanks very much!! Already 100 pages in and am very much enjoying it.

Journal Entry 45 by lorettallen at Portland, Maine USA on Thursday, September 06, 2012
I did like reading this, because I know little to nothing about the Middle East, but it was a bit tough to get through. The language was clunky, as it's translated from Norwegian, and it was very difficult to follow all of the "characters" in the story. Even so, it was definitely chilling to read about such an oppressive society.

On its way to the next reader!!

Journal Entry 46 by rem_LovesOU at Carrollton, Texas USA on Thursday, September 13, 2012
Just arrived and looking forward to the read! Thanks to lorettallen for sending this my way!

Journal Entry 47 by rem_LovesOU at Carrollton, Texas USA on Saturday, March 21, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (3/21/2015 UTC) at Carrollton, Texas USA

Off to Minnesota. Hope you enjoy the book as much as I did.

Journal Entry 48 by Meekachu07 at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Saturday, March 28, 2015
Just received today. Looks pretty good. Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 49 by Meekachu07 at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Wednesday, August 03, 2016
Just finished this one up. It was a pretty good read and definitely something I will share with others. I'd write a bit more, but there were a couple of chapters that I kind of skimmed versus actually reading.

Journal Entry 50 by Meekachu07 at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Monday, October 03, 2016
Adding to my Surprise Paperback Bookbox. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 51 by wingfreezonewing at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Tuesday, October 11, 2016
I haven't read a book by a Norwegian author for at least 5 years (and who knows how long before that??) I'm sure I'll learn a lot.