Thief of Time

by Terry Pratchett | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by Raffizack of Solingen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on 3/12/2007
Journal Entry 1 by Raffizack from Solingen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, March 12, 2007
Time is a resource. Everyone knows it has to be managed. That's where the Monks of History come in. Susan, granddaughter of Death is back. So is Lu-Tze, the philosopher (whom we hadn't met yet, but to a Monk of History, that is a mere detail). The Four Horsemen of the Apocralypse are joined by their brother at arms, Ronnie Soak (that's a clue, folks), the milkman. Prayer wheels? Maybe. The ultimate accurate clock? Certainly. And anyone with an interest in horology knows what a dangerous concept that is.

Released 11 yrs ago (3/10/2009 UTC) at Innenstadt - Station Hostel for Backpackers in Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

Released at the Backpackers Hostel Cologne.

Journal Entry 3 by jurmai from Magdeburg, Sachsen-Anhalt Germany on Wednesday, March 11, 2009
Found it in the Hostel and I´m looking forward to read a Discworld Novel in English.

26.09.2009
Pratchett showed me the absolute truth: "A chocolate you did not want to eat does not count as chocolate. This discovery is from the same branch of culinary physics that determined that food eaten while walking contains no calories." (Page 123)
That´s good to know, isn´t it?
All in all it was a quick and light read with some giggles, but I think I won´t become a hard-core fan of the Discworld-novels.

Journal Entry 4 by jurmai at English bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Monday, September 28, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (9/28/2009 UTC) at English bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Travelling with the English bookbox of Zinat1.

Journal Entry 5 by faerie-glen at Ulm, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Saturday, March 24, 2012
Oops, I completely forgot to journal this book when I took it out of the box...
I actually AM a hard-core fan of the Discworld books, but this one is not one of my favourites. While I love most of the characters and there are some great scenes, plus some interesting philosophizing about the nature of time, there simply isn't much of a plot, and the ending makes no sense at all. Fun to read, but Pratchett can do much better.

Journal Entry 6 by faerie-glen at Dublin Convention 2012 in Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Sunday, April 08, 2012

Released 8 yrs ago (4/13/2012 UTC) at Dublin Convention 2012 in Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland

Released at the 2012 convention in Dublin.

Journal Entry 7 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, April 14, 2012
Taken from the book buffet at the convention for tomorrow's release walk.

^ ^
=+=
v

15/4/12: Released in the Sphere Within Sphere sculpture at Trinity College, Dublin.

Journal Entry 8 by bookguide at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Monday, April 16, 2012
During the BookCrossing Anniversary Convention in Dublin, we went on a treasure hunt and release walk. When our group got to the wonderful revolving globe outside the Berkeley Library at Trinity College, other BookCrossers had left books in the slots of the sculpture. When I realised that one of the books was a Terry Pratchett, I had to go and have a look to see if it was one of the ones I hadn't read yet. I was in luck! I'm particularly interested in this one, as I have a strange relationship with time; it has a tendency to disappear mysteriously. Added to Mount TBR.

Journal Entry 9 by bookguide at BC Meeting 2016 in Castricum, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, July 03, 2016

Released 4 yrs ago (7/3/2016 UTC) at BC Meeting 2016 in Castricum, Noord-Holland Netherlands

REVIEW:
My memories of this book come back to me through the mists of time, which seems oddly appropriate, given that time is the subject of the book. What I do remember is that it was full of the usual Terry Pratchett quirky humour and oblique references to other books, films and popular culture. Having recently watched the Batman films with Christian Bale as Batman and Liam Neeson as Ra's al Ghul, the ninja-type background of that film reminded me of The Thief of Time. In the book, our hero is the young, inexperienced Wen who joins a monastery where he is expected to do the most mundane of tasks. Naturally, his innocence and innate abilities allow him to save the day and prevent disaster striking. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I suspect I would find more to amuse me if I read it again.

Released at the annual BookCrossing event on the beach in Castricum, in the beach café Zoomers (that sounds like 's Zomers, summertime, in Dutch).

This book has been released as part of the following BookCrossing challenges:
- The Ultimate Challenge - read and release books, with extra points for a monthly theme
- Reduce Mount TBR (To Be Read) - read and release books on the TBR list since before the end of the previous year. My reading goal is 36 books per year.

Journal Entry 10 by wingDi_Kwing at Goes, Zeeland Netherlands on Sunday, July 03, 2016
Dit boek vond ik tussen de boeken in Castricum en heb ik meegenomen. Dank voor het boek, ik ga eens kijken wat ik er van vind.

Journal Entry 11 by wingDi_Kwing at Goes, Zeeland Netherlands on Sunday, October 02, 2016
Read this some time ago. Expected more mind twists, but had fun reading it. So thanks to you all for passing on this book. Someone else over here probably wants to read this book. I will pass it on afterwards.

Released 2 yrs ago (7/9/2017 UTC) at Little free library Den Helder in Den Helder, Noord-Holland Netherlands

Boek gevonden? Leuk! Veel lees- en/of doorgeef plezier. Houden mag ook. Een reactie op deze site wordt erg gewaardeerd! Dat kan anoniem en "dank" of "gevonden" is al fijn. Zelf boeken registreren en volgen kan natuurlijk ook. Als je hierover meer wilt weten, kijk dan op deze site!

Liever meer schrijven? Denk aan vangstlocatie/situatie en of het gelezen of doorgegeven gaat worden of niet. Later nog een bericht kan natuurlijk ook altijd.

Thanks for finding me. My previous caretaker would like to get a note that you found me, so please leave a message (it is possible to stay anonymous. "found" or "thanks" is plenty :-) ). Then read me and/or release me. Or, keep me and reread me.

Journal Entry 13 by Aura-Soma at Den Helder, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, July 13, 2017
hoi ...
gistereavond was ik met mijn zoon aan de haven van Den Helder.
wandelen en de plats zienen zien waar de boot naar Texel gaat ..
tot mijn vreugde vonden wij een bookcrossing-boek in en mkinibieb an een huis .. Dankje wel voor vrijlating.. Bookcrossing is prima..

Gestern abend war ich mit meinem Sohn am Hafen in Den Helder.
In der Nähe fanden wir zu meiner Freude ein Bookcrossingbuch in einer kleinen Minibieb..
Terry Pratchetts Scheibenwelt hat mich schon einmal flüchtig gestreift... nun möchte ich das Buch lesen und dann lass ich es wieder frei...
Bookcrossing ist toll.