Sunstroke

by Jesse Kellerman | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by abuffalosoldier of Cincinnati, Ohio USA on 3/11/2007
Journal Entry 1 by abuffalosoldier from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Sunday, March 11, 2007
Kellerman is the son of well-known novelists Faye and Jonathan Kellerman, and if his debut is any indication, talent breeds true. Gloria Mendez—a 36-year-old secretary at a Los Angeles novelty item import business—is in love with her boss, Carl Perreira, though he has never reciprocated her romantic interest. Carl has gone on his annual vacation, and after leaving a garbled phone message on Gloria's answering machine, he disappears into Mexico's backcountry. Facing apathy from the police in Mexico and the U.S.—even after Carl is reported dead in a fiery car crash—Gloria heads south to retrieve his body. She soon finds herself enmeshed in a dangerous adventure hinging on the mystery of Carl's death (if he is indeed really dead), his real identity and the truthfulness of the young man who introduces himself as Carlos Perreira, Carl's son abandoned many years earlier. Gloria is dogged, resourceful and intelligent, but despite some sex and gunplay late in the game, the adventure is a bit too cool and cerebral to be a thriller and too literary to be a genre mystery. Many readers will enjoy the intrepid Gloria and her puzzle, but most will hope for a little more heat from this promising writer's next outing.

Released 12 yrs ago (4/5/2007 UTC) at A bookmooch friend in Wilmington in Wilmington, Massachusetts USA

Hope you enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by bookrabbit from Wilmington, Massachusetts USA on Monday, April 16, 2007
Thanks - I am really looking forward to reading this!

Journal Entry 4 by bookrabbit from Wilmington, Massachusetts USA on Monday, April 16, 2007
I was expecting a lot out of this book high hopes when I bought this book. I didn't understand or like Gloria. The choices she made didn't make any sense. I couldn't find the attention to finish it. I have a lot of books than seem more interesting and satisfying tham this one.

Released 12 yrs ago (5/5/2007 UTC) at Wilmington Public Library, 175 Middlesex Ave. in Wilmington, Massachusetts USA

Dropping off at my library's bookshop . . . Hopefully it will find a reader that enjoys it more than I did.