The Queen of the Tambourine

by Jane Gardam | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by lwry-m on 3/11/2007
Journal Entry 1 by lwry-m on Sunday, March 11, 2007
Not sure about this one, but will give it a try.

Journal Entry 2 by lwry-m at Ring of Bells pub in West Kirby, Merseyside United Kingdom on Friday, July 06, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (7/6/2007 UTC) at Ring of Bells pub in West Kirby, Merseyside United Kingdom

At BookCrossing meet. 11.30 am. All BookCrossers welcome.

Journal Entry 3 by Sunnybubble from Wallasey, Merseyside United Kingdom on Saturday, July 07, 2007
Like the look of this one - THanks xx

Journal Entry 4 by Sunnybubble from Wallasey, Merseyside United Kingdom on Saturday, February 02, 2008
Havn't got around to this so sending it travelling in a bookbox, where I hope it will find enthusiastic readers!

Journal Entry 5 by winglelliewing from Trimley St Mary, Suffolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 05, 2008
It's found its enthusiastic reader! I'm a big fan of Jane Gardam.
Thanks for putting it in the box.

Synopsis
Eliza Peabody is one of those dangerously blameless women who believe they have God in their pocket. She is a modern-day Florence Nightingale, always up at the Hospice or the Wives' club; she is too enthusiastic; she talks too much. Her concern for the welfare of her wealthy south London neighbours even extends to ingenuous, well-meaning notes of unsolicited advice under the door. It is just such a one-sided correspondence that heralds Eliza's undoing. Did her letter have something to do with Joan's abrupt disappearance from number forty-one? What to make of the long absences of her husband and Joan's, and of the two men's new, inseparable friendship? And why will no one else on Rathbone Road speak of Joan? As Eliza's own life seems to disintegrate, she finds that, despite the pity and embarrassment with which her neighbours greet her, she is at last being drawn into their lives - although not in the way she had once fantasised about. This is a sharp, poignant and wickedly funny tale of love, heartache and disillusionment.

Journal Entry 6 by winglelliewing from Trimley St Mary, Suffolk United Kingdom on Sunday, September 28, 2008
A Bookring!

1.IWISHIWAS (UK)
2. arturogrande (UK)
3. sunfi (USA)

Journal Entry 7 by winglelliewing at sent by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (10/8/2008 UTC) at sent by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On its way to IWISHIWAS

Journal Entry 8 by IWISHIWAS from Stockton-On-Tees, County Durham United Kingdom on Friday, October 10, 2008
This arrived today, thanks for sending it my way. I have only read one other Gardam book so I'm looking forward to comparing this one. More to follow.
Update - I have read this now and must admit I didn't really enjoy it. I found it a bit too subtle and somewhat disjointed. I didn't find the character of Eliza convincing and kept getting confused with the other characters. It's probably just me!! The last Jane Gardam I read was Bilgewater and I enjoyed that, so I won't give up on the author just yet as I know she is highly regarded. Thanks for including me in the ring.

Journal Entry 9 by arturogrande from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 21, 2008
Thanks very much - I've got a couple of rings ahead of this one, but I'm off work this week, so I'm hoping to get a lot of reading in!

Journal Entry 10 by arturogrande from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 17, 2008
I really enjoyed this book, but it's almost impossible to review it without giving too much away.
Let's just say that all is not as it seems!
Tnanks very much for sharing this, lellie, and I'm sorry I've had it for a while.
It's now on its way to sunfi in the US.

Journal Entry 11 by sunfi from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Saturday, December 27, 2008
Received this in the mail today along with another ring, I have three rings ahead of this one and hope to have it on its way back to lellie by the middle of February. Thanks to arturogrande for sending this to me.

Journal Entry 12 by sunfi from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Sunday, January 11, 2009
I tried to get into this one but I couldn't, I just didn't find Eliza to be a sympathetic character. I decided it's time to move onto something else. I've already contacted lellie and she doesn't want it back. So in the next couple weeks or so, I'll be offering this as a Ray or RIF (if I can't find it on anyone's Wish List).

Journal Entry 13 by sunfi at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Ohio USA on Friday, January 23, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (1/23/2009 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Ohio USA

Released to Bug2004 as a Ray-it-Forward. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 14 by Bug2004 from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Rec'vd today. Have a few in front, but will get to it as quick as I can. Thanks!