Couple Who Became Each Other: and Other Tales of Healing from a Hypnotherapist's Casebook(S4982)

by David Calof | Health, Mind & Body | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 055337902x Global Overview for this book
Registered by SAMMY-SAMSEL of St. Louis, Missouri USA on 4/28/2007
Journal Entry 1 by SAMMY-SAMSEL from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Saturday, April 28, 2007
Pre-numbered label used for registration.

discarded by library
hardback
354pp including bibliography
published, 1996

The following is from the 1997 edition of this book:

Annotation
"...explains the unconscious relationship between body and mind, relating examples from his own clinical cases."

From the Publisher
In a practice spanning more than twenty years, Calof has helped clients use the power of their own unconscious to gain insights, solve problems, and heal physical and psychological wounds - sometimes in dramatic ways even he could not foresee. Each chapter in this book reads like a whodunit, taking us on the search for clues and solutions to patients' mysterious symptoms. We learn that, to the unconscious, mind and body are one, as we watch a woman cleanse her body of precancerous cells through the use of mental imagery. We learn that family communication is hypnotic, as we see three sisters pass fifteen pounds from one to another - until they are freed from the "burden" of caring for their parents. And in Calof's accounts of his pioneering work with dissociative disorders, we glimpse the many selves we all carry within us. As David Calof makes clear, trance is not the exclusive province of hypnotists, but is a natural phenomenon we encounter daily. The magic is not in the hypnotherapist, but in each one of us.

From The Critics
Publishers Weekly
For people accustomed to traditional talk therapy, hypnosis as a method of healing may seem as uncertain as reading entrails. This book of compelling dialogues with the unconscious, carried forth under hypnosis, should help amend that doubt. It builds from mundane cases of reading problems, adolescent obesity and possessive parents to the high drama of inexplicable blindness, childhood sexual abuse syndromes and seemingly irreversible suicidal tendencies. Calof, the relater of the cases told as psychological narratives, is a hypnotherapist and family relations practitioner in Seattle who collaborated here with Simons (All Children Loving and Confident), and he emerges as a healer of unusual perspicacity and insight, telling gripping tales. Yet the book has problems despite its virtues. In Calof's apparent concern for literary sweep and, possibly, greater accessibility, he neglects to present a sufficient definition of what hypnosis and trance states actually are. And he leaves out the grunting and sweating of therapy, as well as the failures. It's somewhat a case of never letting all the facts get in the way of a good story. Yet the book has considerable value in the way it demonstrates hypnosis revealing the intricacy and powerful self-healing abilities of the human mind.

Library Journal
This casebook by a "master hynotherapist" lives up to its billing with well-told stories of healing using an approach that is clearly effective yet mysterious in its workings. Hypnotherapy is deservedly gaining respect, and readers will be entertained and informed by this engaging presentation. Ten cases-from eating disorders and marital therapy (the title story) to a harrowing tale of major surgery without conventional anesthesia-show the possibilities of hypnosis in the hands of a specialist working with select clients. Calof treats individuals, couples, and families with a combination of detective work, theatrical direction, and common sense. Throughout, he reveals his own feelings, uncertainties, and mistakes. The careful choice of words is as important in hypnosis as it is in writing, and Calof's skill shows in both endeavors. This book should join the list of classic psychotherapeutic casebooks, earning Calof a place alongside Freud and Calof's own mentor, Milton Erickson, among others. Recommended for public and academic libraries.

Journal Entry 2 by SAMMY-SAMSEL at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, swap etc, Missouri USA on Monday, November 23, 2009

Released 14 yrs ago (11/23/2009 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, swap etc, Missouri USA

Welcome to BookCrossing! Thanks for journaling my book ;D