Sullivan's Island (A Lowcountry Tale)

by Dorothea Benton Frank | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by suedo of Redditch, Worcestershire United Kingdom on 3/10/2007
Journal Entry 1 by suedo from Redditch, Worcestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, March 10, 2007
Pre-numbered label used for registration.
This book came from the kind lady in Darlington in March. If this is your introduction to Bookcrossing, welcome. Please make as few or as many comments about the book as you wish. The book is now yours to do with as you choose. Keep it, pass it on, but please leave the label, so it can keep in touch with us.

Released 11 yrs ago (6/30/2007 UTC) at BCUK Unconvention 2007 in Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom

this will be on the table of temptation

Journal Entry 3 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Friday, July 06, 2007
Snaffled from the book table at UnCon 2007

Journal Entry 4 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Sunday, July 15, 2007
From Publishers Weekly
Frank's debut novel is a story of redemption set in South Carolina's steamy low country. Susan Hamilton Hayes's comfortable Charleston existence is shattered when she finds her husband in bed with another woman. Faced with a failed marriage, a confused teenage daughter and a mediocre job, she sets about the business of healing. Slowly, supported by visits to her sister in their childhood home on sleepy Sullivan's Island, Susan becomes a successful newspaper columnist, regains her confidence as a woman (despite a hilariously deflating date) and finally explores the death of her complex, abusive father decades before. Chapters alternate between the present and 1963, the year her father died, as Susan faces both the strength and the damaging effects of her family legacy. The ending - complete with a perfect suitor reemerging from Susan's youth - is almost too picture perfect to ring true but both the setting and the characters are blazingly authentic. Frank evokes the eccentric Hamilton family and their feisty Gullah housekeeper with originality and conviction; Susan herself - smart, sarcastic, funny and endearingly flawed - makes a lively and memorable narrator. Thanks to these scrappily compelling portraits, this is a rich read.

Journal Entry 5 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Thursday, July 19, 2007
Picked up at the UnCon and read already! What a great book. I started this on Sunday night last week, I was unable to sleep as I had an early flight to Leeds and could not settle, so braved Mr AR being grumpy and had the side light on. By the end of Monday the book had been devoured.

It is the story of Susan, married to Tom and the mother of Beth. Susan is fairly happy, she had a tough childhood, but felt the love of her family and survived the upheavals she has endured. Working as a librarian, Susan leaves for work forgetting an important report. She returns home to find her husband of 16 years in bed with a younger woman. Susan's life suddenly changes.

There is a fabulous scene involving Susan getting her own back on Tom, involving some time in the bathroom, a toilet, a toothbrush and two bottles of aftershave. A woman scorned! Written with humour, even though, as readers we can feel Susan's pain.

To enable Susan to cope with the devistation she feels Susan flashes back to her childhood, her father and his values in an America which was struggling to that regardless of the colour of your skin everyone is equal. Susan has a very special relationship with the housekeeper, Livvy, who is black and is the descendant of slaves.

This is the story of love, friendship,forgiveness and equality. A really enjoyable book, one that I was disappointed to finish.

Journal Entry 6 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 25, 2007
Sending to scotsbookie as a RABCK as I think she would like this book.
I hope you do, I loved it! - Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, July 30, 2007
Thank you! A lovely surprise along with the Debbie Macomber books, I look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 8 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 26, 2007
Fantastic read, I want to be a Geechee girl, bury my toes in the sand & join Susan & Maggie for potato chips & beer!

Written with great humour, I agree with AnglersRest about the incident with the toothbrush & cologne bottles (it reminded me of a friend who did something similar with a face flanel) it had me in stitches.

The enternal themes of love, betrayal, family, reconciliation bind this book together.

I plan to send this on along with Mrs. Miracle by Debbie Macomber, can you guess who to?

Journal Entry 9 by scotsbookie at Post Office in Post Office, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Released 11 yrs ago (12/27/2007 UTC) at Post Office in Post Office, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Journal Entry 10 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, December 29, 2007
*snort* I did kind of guess! Thank you! It might take me a little time to get to this one, what with all the Persephones etc for Christmas - hope that's OK!

Journal Entry 11 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, February 24, 2008
I enjoyed this tale of Charleston and its islands - the revenge scene was excellent and the story played out with compassion, humour and tenderness. I took a little time to get into it, as maybe I've read a few too many Southern novels recently, but I really got wrapped up in the story and will look out for other books by this author.

I think I'll offer it in the next lot of BookRings, with the aim of getting it to South Carolina. I think that would be fun!

Journal Entry 12 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, May 04, 2008
BookRing!

Rules:

1. Journal the book when you receive it
2. Try to read it and send it on within 1 month
3. PM the next reader and send it to them - make a release or journal entry on the book so we can all see its status
4. If you have any problems reading the book in time or getting hold of the next reader, please PM me or use the email address on my profile!

PARTICIPANTS:

Penelopewanders Switzerland (Europe)
CaterinaAnna UK (UK)
sjr1969 UK (UK)
WelshHelen Wales (UK/Europe)
Heaven-Ali UK (anywhere)
Calalilly UK (UK)
Purplerosebud UK (UK)
Cross-Patch UK (anywhere) <---- it's here!
sutherncomfort US (anywhere)(from LibraryThing) [[unable to take 1st place, check if she still wants it]]

Posting to Penelopewanders this morning on the first stage of its BookRing!

Journal Entry 14 by wingpenelopewanderswing from Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Saturday, June 14, 2008
This arrived while I was away for six days, not sure how long it sat in the post office. I'll get to it when I finish my current book (Sex Wars, by Marge Piercy). Thanks so much for including me in this ring, this looks fun.

Journal Entry 15 by wingpenelopewanderswing from Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Thursday, June 19, 2008
Well, I have very mixed feelings about this one. (Spoiler??) The story itself is quite good, but I found the writing extremely irritating. The dialogue almost all felt so stilted I couldn't believe it, and this is yet another author (along with Cheryl Holt) who should have the exclamation mark removed from the keyboard!!!!!! The society described was fascinating (Geechee, low country), and some of the scenes were indeed memorable, so it was well-worth reading, but I think the book could have benefitted from some serious editing.
Thanks so much for making this book available. I'll be sending it on as soon as I get the next address.

Wending its way to Coventry. Thanks for making it available! happy travels...

Journal Entry 17 by Caterinaanna from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, June 28, 2008
Back in the Midlands - arrived this morning.
However I have three books ahead of it and seem to be on a bit of a reading go-slow at the moment. Note to LyzzyBee - that's by anyone's standards, not just mine, so it may be a while before I start it.

Journal Entry 18 by Caterinaanna from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, August 03, 2008
Read about two weeks ago, but I've had some problems being online lately, so apologies for the delay in journalling.

Sorry ladies, I liked this book well enough, but didn't think it was anything special. I sympathised with Susan's plight, enjoyed her revenge and growth and was left with a sense of place, but still something was lacking for me. The fairy-tale ending I could live with, but the eventual discovery of who had been responsible for the death of her father felt like an anti-climax and I think I found the whole thing somewhat over-sentimental, albeit in a girl-power/sisters-rule sort of way.

I have sjr1969's address and hope to have a session of parcelling up later tomorrow - by the time I've caudht up with JE's tonight I'll be way too tired!

Journal Entry 19 by Caterinaanna at on Thursday, August 07, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (8/7/2008 UTC) at

Finally on the way to sjr1969.
Apologies for the delay everyone.

Journal Entry 20 by sjr1969 from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, August 09, 2008
received this morning from CaterinaAnna, this is no1 on the tbr list, as I am just about to finnish "under the Paw"

Journal Entry 21 by sjr1969 from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 12, 2008
I enjoyed this book very much.
The revenge scene was hilarious, and as for Roger, well words fail me!!
I thought that the charactors (Roger not withstanding) were beleivable, warm and human.
This book had it all, teenage strops, cooking, disater, sex, history, heart and hurricanes.

Will PM WelshHelen later for address.

Journal Entry 22 by sjr1969 from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, August 18, 2008
Very enjoyable, posted to WelshHelen this afternoon.

Journal Entry 23 by WelshHelen from Ponthenri, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, August 24, 2008
Arrived some time over the last two weeks - thank you, sjr1969. I'm not getting much of a chance to read at the moment and, of course, three ring books landed while I was away, but I will get to it as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 24 by WelshHelen from Ponthenri, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 21, 2008
This was a strange book for me - for some reason, I wasn't that keen on picking it up but when I did, I thoroughly enjoyed the story... very weird! I really liked the characters, especially Susan, her daughter and Livvie and I loved the look back to life in the 60's. I'd have liked to have known more about her two brothers in the modern-day but that a very small gripe!

Posted on to Heaven-Ali yesterday. Thanks for sharing again, LyzzyBee and many apologies to everyone for having kept the book so long.

Journal Entry 25 by Heaven-Ali from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, October 23, 2008
Arrived today - it's funny but I am currently reading another "southern book" bookring - so this will be read ASAP - probably next week while I'm home from work for a week.

Journal Entry 26 by Heaven-Ali from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, October 30, 2008
This is a really great read, which was perfect for these wintry afternoons this week while I have been on holiday from work.

Susan's family and their history on Sullivan's Island South Carolina are wonderfully engaging characters. The descriptions of the area along with some potted histories of South Carolina allow Sullivan's Island to rise up around you, complete with all the voices of Gullah women and the children they help bring up. I would have enjoyed a bit more about the civil rights unrest during the early 60's as I found that really fascinating. Susan's story itself is a nice warm tale of a middle aged woman starting over after her marriage breaks down, I have read plenty of similar things before - but this one was extra heart warming and not too sugary.

Will send on soon.

Journal Entry 27 by Heaven-Ali at sent by mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, November 03, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (11/3/2008 UTC) at sent by mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

If you have found this book, thank you for taking the time to look it up on the internet. Now please tell us what you thought of the book and what your plans for it are.

Journal Entry 28 by calalilly from Waterlooville, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 04, 2008
Received in the post today, thank you Heaven-ali. I have just started another ring book but hopefully it won't take me to long to read that.

Journal Entry 29 by calalilly from Waterlooville, Hampshire United Kingdom on Thursday, December 04, 2008
I like some of the previous readers had mixed feelings about this book, parts of it I really enjoyed but it didn't have me gripped all the way through.
Passing this onto Purplerosebud tonight when I see her.

Journal Entry 30 by purplerosebud from Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 09, 2008
Book now safely with me. However I've got a couple of rings to read first so it will be the New Year before it moves on again. Hope that's ok?

Journal Entry 31 by purplerosebud from Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom on Sunday, February 22, 2009
I really enjoyed reading this book. I loved the humour but got involved in the serious side of the story. It's a book about love, friendship, growing up, hard times, sad times and all the things that makes this type of family story just a great read. Definately one I will remember for some time. Any more bookrings of this vein please let me know as I would love to join up. If I'm not on there already. LOL

Finished a bit quicker than expected due to tooth extraction :-( which gave me time to sit and relax), so I haven't got the next persons address yet but will pass it on asap.

Journal Entry 32 by wingCross-patchwing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, March 20, 2009
Arrived while I was on my hols in New Zealand so the journal entry was delayed, which also explains why I have not signed up for any of Liz's new rays. This will be rectified once jet lag has been dealt with. Thanks to purplerosebud for getting it here and, yes, we did have a wonderful time over there!

Journal Entry 33 by wingCross-patchwing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, April 04, 2009
I lost myself in the folksy Southern environment straight away. The author tells a mighty fine tale and I ejoyed it muchly. I'll now see if the next member of the list is rady for Sullivan's Island. Thanks Liz, as alays.

Journal Entry 34 by wingCross-patchwing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 22, 2009
Continuing with the ray, so Sullivan's Island is off to Karen07814.

Journal Entry 35 by karen07814 from Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, April 25, 2009
arrived today thank you. I have one to read ahead of it before sending it on.
Thank you very much for the enclosed gift!
Following a post on the forums this copy of the book http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/5817339 had gone astray partway through a ray, the end of that ray has now been tagged onto this one with the book returning ultimately to vividreader who organised the "lost" ray in the first place.

continuing bit of ray....

madmadge (UK) - int'l
Midlifecrisis (UK) - Europe preferred, US OK
BlueStocking88 (USA-WA) - US only, bottom of list
back to VividReader

Happy ending.

Journal Entry 36 by karen07814 from Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Sunday, May 10, 2009
Thank you for including me on the ray.....
Funny in places and a touching story of divorce and re-invention.
Now off to madmadge

Journal Entry 37 by madmadge from Alderholt, Hampshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 13, 2009
I'd forgotten all about joining this ring but now I can see that the original book went 'missing'! Looking at the blurb and other people's comments, I can remember now why I signed up for it. It sounds just like my kind of book and I can't wait to start - hopefully within the next couple of days.

Thank you karen for sending it to me and for reviving the ring.

P.S. The 'peas on earth' postcard made me smile. :0)

Journal Entry 38 by madmadge from Alderholt, Hampshire United Kingdom on Monday, May 25, 2009
A moving and interesting read but I found it a little too wordy and didn't get along with the style. I felt that not much was said in far too many words. I loved the 'toothbrush' story though and enjoyed it on the whole. Will be sending it on as soon as I have the address.

Journal Entry 39 by VividReader from Portland, Oregon USA on Friday, June 05, 2009
Received this yesterday. Thank you, Madmadge, for the cute postcard! And a HUGE thank you to Karen07814 for donating her book to finish my lost bookring. :)