Perfume

Registered by buffra of Columbus, Ohio USA on 3/2/2007
Journal Entry 1 by buffra from Columbus, Ohio USA on Friday, March 02, 2007
The Story of a Murderer
***

From the back cover: In the slums of 18th-century Paris a baby is born. Jean-Baptiste Grenouille clings to life with an iron will, growing into a dark and sinister young man who, although he has no scent of his own, possesses an incomparable sense of smell. He apprentices himself to a perfumer and quickly masters the ancient art of mixing flowers, herbs, and oils. But his quest to creat the "ultimate perfume" leads him to commit a series of brutal murders until no woman can feel safe as his final horrifying secret is revealed.
***

Smells. Scents. Odors. For most of us, they underlie the rest of our interactions, but for Grenouille they are the primary. His only interest in the world is in its smells. People, words, feelings, and even physical comforts are only interesting insofar as they relate to the smells that Grenouille learns to parse the individual particles out of a scent. He later learns to collect and distill smells.

It was a fascinating book. Grenouille is a completely abhorrent individual. Despite the tragedy of his beginning, it is impossible to find softness for him, as there is none in him. His quest to master scent becomes an obsession and a drive for power through twisted, nefarious means. But the power that he seeks eventually undoes him, resulting in a very unexpected conclusion.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAzukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Saturday, April 21, 2007
Found at the book buffet table at the convention. This book was highly recommended by NPR and fellow BCer K00kabura, so I am looking forward to it. Thanks.

ETA: 3/16/08 - reserved for Morsecode who won it in the BookObsessed Translated Lit Swap.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAzukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Monday, June 16, 2008
This fiction is certainly unusual, original and ingenious. Grenouille is so twisted, alien and devoid of love that it is hard to read through the book, yet the tale keeps drawing you onward to find out what will happen. I can't decide if I like this book - the tale is certainly well written but there are parts that feel boring.
Now mailing to Morsecode.

Journal Entry 4 by morsecode from Woonsocket, Rhode Island USA on Thursday, June 26, 2008
This book arrived safe and sound in Buffalo, NY today.

Journal Entry 5 by morsecode at Little Free Library Newland in Woonsocket, Rhode Island USA on Saturday, May 05, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (5/5/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library Newland in Woonsocket, Rhode Island USA

Left in Little Free Library

Journal Entry 6 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, July 18, 2018
I found this book in the charming Newland Ave. LFL while dropping off some books of my own, and nabbed it for another release copy. Glad to see it's still traveling!

It's a very gritty and sometimes surreal look at 18th-century Paris, through the eyes of a scent-obsessed man with a super-sensitive nose. The descriptions of the odors - from the appalling ones to the divine - help bring the locales to life, but I admit that once our strange hero starts trying to capture the fragrances of women's bodies things get... very disturbing!

[There's a TV Tropes page on the novel, with comments on the 2006 film as well.]

Journal Entry 7 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, 4 Lake St in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, August 01, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (8/2/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, 4 Lake St in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***