A Year by the Sea: Thoughts of an Unfinished Woman

by Joan Anderson | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by siriradha of Colorado Springs, Colorado USA on 3/2/2007
Journal Entry 1 by siriradha from Colorado Springs, Colorado USA on Friday, March 02, 2007
Publishers Weekly
"I'm beginning to think that real growing only begins after we've done the adult things we're supposed to do," confides Anderson, a journalist and author of children's books (Twins on Toes, etc.). She came to this conclusion after a year living alone in a cottage on Cape Cod. Feeling that her marriage had stagnated by the time her two sons were grown, Anderson surprised and distressed her husband by refusing to move out-of-state with him when he accepted a new job. In this accessible memoir, she shares the joy and self-knowledge she found during her time of semi-isolation. In order to supplement the income from her royalty checks, she found a job in the local fish market and began making new friends who sustained her. After her hot water heater broke down and her husband refused to help, she earned the additional money for the repair by digging and selling clams. Through vivid and meticulous observations about the natural world, Anderson makes clear her strong affinity for the ocean, with its changing tides, subtle colors and burgeoning life. A Memorial Day reunion brought Anderson and her husband closer; shortly thereafter she embraced his plan to retire and live with her in the cottage. Anderson has recently begun a "Weekend by the Sea" program for women who need time to reflect. (Apr.)

Journal Entry 2 by rhythmbiscuit from Northglenn, Colorado USA on Thursday, March 29, 2007
When I visited Boulder St. Coffee Roasters to release some books, I picked this one up. I've wanted to read it for some time, and I hope to read it soon.

Journal Entry 3 by rhythmbiscuit from Northglenn, Colorado USA on Sunday, June 10, 2007
Reading this book made me want to go to Cape Cod. I liked this book; I enjoy books about growth and self-awareness. Probably my favorite thing about Joan's story was her friendship with Joan Erikson.

I plan to release this book.

I gave this book to my mom in Athens to read.

Journal Entry 5 by rhythmbiscuit at Northglenn, Colorado USA on Saturday, September 29, 2018
This book has found its way back to me. The friend of my mom's who had it visited me recently.

I will likely offer this book in a VBB.

Journal Entry 6 by rhythmbiscuit at Northglenn, Colorado USA on Sunday, February 24, 2019

Released 7 mos ago (2/24/2019 UTC) at Northglenn, Colorado USA

I mailed this book to freezone as part of the Books I've Read VBB. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by freezone at Leominster, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, March 06, 2019
Just arrived today, as part of a bookbox....thank you!

Journal Entry 8 by freezone at Leominster, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, March 10, 2019
This was a quick read, and it was enjoyable to get inside the head of a woman who was struggling with her roles in life, especially after her children have moved away, and she realizes that she has always kept herself somewhat removed from her husband. However, if you asked her, he was the distant one....but she wouldn't accept him as he was. Luckily, she takes some radical steps to work on herself, and brings many positive changes into her life, mostly through simple and straightforward means. She does a good job describing her thoughts and you see the changes she makes add up into increased happiness. I'd say that this is a good book to read if you want to accompany someone through an adventure that takes her to a lovely place ... or, if you have always imagined what it would be like to live off in the woods, alone.