The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon

by Stephen King | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by missprisy of Edmond, Oklahoma USA on 2/28/2007
Journal Entry 1 by missprisy from Edmond, Oklahoma USA on Wednesday, February 28, 2007
From the Publisher
Following the enormous critical — Best Books of '98 in Publishers Weekly, San Francisco Chronicle, Denver Post, and others — and commercial success of Bag of Bones, Stephen King's bestselling hardcover novel to date (over 1.6 million shipped), comes a short novel with as much punch as a pinch-hit homerun.

On a six-mile hike on the Maine-New Hampshire branch of the Appalachian Trail, nine-year-old Trisha McFarland quickly tires of the constant bickering between her older brother, Pete, and her recently divorced mother. But when she wanders off by herself, and then tries to catch up by attempting a shortcut, she becomes lost in a wilderness maze full of peril and terror.

As night falls, Trisha has only her ingenuity as a defense against the elements, and only her courage and faith to withstand her mounting fears. For solace she tunes her Walkman to broadcast of Boston Red Sox baseball games and follows the gritty performances of her hero, relief pitcher Tom Gordon. And when her radio's reception begins to fade, Trisha imagines that Tom Gordon is with her--protecting her from an all-to-real enemy who has left a trail of slaughtered animals and mangled trees in the dense, dark woods...

Journal Entry 2 by missprisy at Edmond, Oklahoma USA on Tuesday, February 26, 2019
Very enjoyable story.

Journal Entry 3 by missprisy at by mail, Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Released 5 mos ago (6/25/2019 UTC) at by mail, Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Releasing in a Mystery/Thriller Bookbox!

Journal Entry 4 by wingIddyluwing at Durham, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, July 02, 2019
King can be a hit or miss for me, but I love the description of this one (which I've never heard of!), so I think this will be my first keep from the Mystery/Thriller Bookbox.

Journal Entry 5 by wingIddyluwing at Woolwich, Maine USA on Tuesday, July 09, 2019
Good place to read!

Journal Entry 6 by wingIddyluwing at Newmarket, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, August 28, 2019
After taking a break from this book (I had others I needed to read on more of a deadline!), I find myself waiting around in the Newmarket Public Library, happy that I have it with me. Almost done... with the book and the waiting!

Journal Entry 7 by wingIddyluwing at Durham, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, August 29, 2019
Finished! I really liked this one a lot - it's probably my favorite of King's works that I've read so far, though very different from his more well-known stuff.

Journal Entry 8 by wingIddyluwing at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Friday, November 15, 2019

Released 3 wks ago (11/16/2019 UTC) at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA

Taking to the Bookcrossing meet-up tomorrow.

Journal Entry 9 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, November 17, 2019
I claimed this paperback at today's BookCrossing meetup in Porter Square - and was impressed to see that it's been a BC book for more than twelve years!

This was a very enjoyable read, with an all-too-realistic situation: a recently-divorced woman tries to cling to a semblance of family life by dragging her two kids along on outings they don't really enjoy. This one involves a day-hike on a segment of the Appalachian Trail in Maine, near the New Hampshire border. But 9-year-old Trisha lags behind the other two, who are squabbling and don't notice her absence - and Trisha makes one wrong turn and ends up far off the trail, and getting farther every minute...

The details of getting lost felt all too real, and while the perils here are far from King's most horrifying nightmares, the fact that they're entirely possible make them somehow more frightening. Trisha has spells of panic and shock, but overall is quite intrepid and resourceful, even as the days drag on and her situation worsens. (We see a few glimpses of what's going on in the outside world, some via her radio and a few from the viewpoints of her increasingly-grief-stricken family, but most of the story is hers.)

Turns out the story was inspired by the real-life adventure of a 12-year-old who was lost in the Maine woods for nine days in 1939; I read about that in Lost Trail, a graphic-novel adaptation of his story.

[There's a TV Tropes page on the book with some entertaining info. And there's even a pop-up version!]

Released 2 wks ago (11/17/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, West Hartford Public Library in West Hartford, Vermont USA

I left this book in this spacious Little Free Library in front of the public library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in VT here.]

*** Released for the 2019 The The Release Challenge. ***