Rapture of Canaan (Oprah's Book Club)

by Sheri Reynolds | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingbookczukwing of Charleston, South Carolina USA on 2/27/2007
Journal Entry 1 by wingbookczukwing from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Tuesday, February 27, 2007
The whole time I was reading this, I had the setting placed in the South (Arkansas, or Alabama) or maybe TExas or even possibly some remote midwest place. But I just read a review that said the story is set in South CArolina. South CArolina????? No Way! There may be folks that are holier than thou, talk in tongues and think the Baptists are sinful, but this just didn't strike me as a SC Story.

The other thing that has distracted me is that, as a pediatric nurse, I kept worrying about poor Canaan, and all the milestones he was missing.

But, all in all, a well crafted story.

Released 12 yrs ago (6/9/2007 UTC) at Panera Bread Co-Corner of Orleans & Sam Rittenberg in Charleston, South Carolina USA

Taking to panera Bread today for our monthly gathering.

To the finder of this book:
Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing --maybe even make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free!) And if you do choose to join, I hope you'll consider using me, bookczuk, as your referring member. Feel free to read and keep this book, or to pass it on to a friend or even set it out "in the wild" for someone else to find like you did. If you do choose to join and journal, then you can watch the book as it travels- You'll be alerted by email each time someone makes another journal entry. It's all confidential (you're known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free. Happy reading!

PS And if you find yourself liking BookCrossing, Charleston has an active group of BookCrossers who meet monthly (second Saturday of the month) at various spots in the Tri-county area. Come join us! For more information, see our webpage here! Be on the lookout for other books left in the "Wild"!

Journal Entry 3 by brownwhitetan from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Saturday, June 09, 2007
Picked this up at the BookCrossing meeting. I'm looking forward to reading this one.

Journal Entry 4 by brownwhitetan from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Saturday, October 27, 2007
I struggled with this read. I mean, the read was easy enough, but I didn't relate. For starters, it was hard to not think of the characters as black rather than white. I'm not sure what it is that made me feel that way, but it took a long time to reconcile myself to the fact that they were backwoods rednecks. It was a very different story, but not something I'd read again.

Journal Entry 5 by TennysonsMom from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Sunday, February 10, 2008
Caught at the meeting at Muddy Waters in West Ashley.

Released 10 yrs ago (3/8/2009 UTC) at Panera Bread-5070 International Blvd in North Charleston, South Carolina USA

Releasing at meet-up today. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by rebekkila from Lansing, Michigan USA on Sunday, March 08, 2009
Caught at the meet-up

Journal Entry 8 by rebekkila from Lansing, Michigan USA on Wednesday, July 22, 2009
Friendkelly has this.

Journal Entry 9 by rebekkila from Lansing, Michigan USA on Thursday, January 07, 2010
Kelly returned the book, she liked it but was frustrated by the decisions of the main character.

Released 9 yrs ago (1/10/2010 UTC) at Panera Bread-5070 International Blvd in North Charleston, South Carolina USA

I will bring this to the meet-up.