A Thousand Splendid Suns

by Khaled Hosseini | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by candieb of Austin, Texas USA on 5/29/2007
Journal Entry 1 by candieb from Austin, Texas USA on Tuesday, May 29, 2007
From the Publisher
After 103 weeks on the New York Times bestseller list and with four million copies of The Kite Runner shipped, Khaled Hosseini returns with a beautiful, riveting, and haunting novel that confirms his place as one of the most important literary writers today.

Propelled by the same superb instinct for storytelling that made The Kite Runner a beloved classic, A Thousand Splendid Suns is at once an incredible chronicle of thirty years of Afghan history and a deeply moving story of family, friendship, faith, and the salvation to be found in love.

Born a generation apart and with very different ideas about love and family, Mariam and Laila are two women brought jarringly together by war, by loss and by fate. As they endure the ever escalating dangers around them-in their home as well as in the streets of Kabul-they come to form a bond that makes them both sisters and mother-daughter to each other, and that will ultimately alter the course not just of their own lives but of the next generation. With heart-wrenching power and suspense, Hosseini shows how a woman's love for her family can move her to shocking and heroic acts of self-sacrifice, and that in the end it is love, or even the memory of love, that is often the key to survival.

A stunning accomplishment, A Thousand Splendid Suns is a haunting, heartbreaking, compelling story of an unforgiving time, an unlikely friendship, and an indestructible love.

Journal Entry 2 by candieb from Austin, Texas USA on Tuesday, May 29, 2007
Oh wow.

I went into this book half-dreading it. I mean, can he even come close to The Kite Runner? That was such a great book, one of my favorites.

Well, Mr. Hosseini, it is your fault that it's almost 9am here and I'm tired. Why? I was up until 5am turning pages, I could NOT pry this book out of my hands. Once I hit around page 120, I was a goner. I HAD to finish it.

I won't say it's as good as Kite Runner - that would be a mistake. They are two different books, set in the same place/time (approximately anyway). The stories are different though. Several times, I cried so hard I couldn't read from all the blurring tears. This is a touching book, of two women whose lives converge, it's sad, but oh so beautifully told. The authors writing carries you away to this faraway place, making you be there, in the moment, with the people, in that climate, dealing with that oppression.

I am again struck by how different our lives were in the US during this time period (just 6-7 years ago) than it was in other countries. I cannot imagine living like some of them did.

Journal Entry 3 by candieb at A Trade in A Trade, A Trade -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Released 11 yrs ago (5/29/2007 UTC) at A Trade in A Trade, A Trade -- Controlled Releases

Sent as a trade to Lizabeth86

Journal Entry 4 by Lizabeth86 from Middletown, Connecticut USA on Friday, June 01, 2007
Arrived today as part of a trade. Will try and put this on the top part of my TBR pile since it comes highly recommended.

Journal Entry 5 by Lizabeth86 from Middletown, Connecticut USA on Tuesday, June 12, 2007
This book drew me in from the very first paragragh and never let go of me. It is a beautiful yet heartwrenching story of two very strong women whose lives entwine with one another during wartime in Afghan history.

At times I had to step back from the book for a breather due to some of the painful passages in the book. I have to admit that I actually did cry at the reading of Mariam's father's letter.

I actually liked this book better than The Kite Runner but perhaps that is due in part to already having a taste of his writing style and his heartbreaking stories.

Journal Entry 6 by Lizabeth86 from Middletown, Connecticut USA on Thursday, October 30, 2008
Mailed out on October 20th.

Journal Entry 7 by momx3lovesbooks on Wednesday, November 12, 2008
This book arrived weeks ago, and because I am a lazy, inconsiderate, bookcrossing moron I am just now registering it. Im sorry Lizbeth, I've had it for a looong time, and I've just been to lazy lately to bring it down to my computer so I could register it.

Thanks sooooo much!!!!