Holy Fools

by Joanne Harris | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Frangipani04 on 2/22/2007
Journal Entry 1 by Frangipani04 on Thursday, February 22, 2007
To be sent to Froggie66 in Canada soon!

Journal Entry 2 by Frangipani04 on Tuesday, May 01, 2007
Great book! I had it in my bookshelf for quite a long time and read it so that I could offer it as a "thank you RABCK" to Froggie66. I'm quite glad I finally read it. It's a great book, that makes you "live" for some time in a abbey during the XVII century with intiguing Juliette.

It will now cross the Atlantic to be read by Froggie66. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

From amazon:

Holy Fools is Joanne Harris's most enjoyable novel yet, a beautifully detailed and sharply observed piece that emotionally moves the reader unlike anything she has tackled before. The immense success of Chocolat and Coastliners has made Harris one of the most cherished authors at work today, and each new book is something of an event.
Holy Fools is set in 17th century France, and the central character is Juliette, a former actress and rope dancer who has given up her travelling life to become a teaching nun at a remote abbey. Juliette has settled with her young daughter into an existence very different from that she knew, and she finds comfort from the advice of the wise and friendly abbess.

Harris brilliantly delineates both phases of her heroine's life: the colourful earlier era and the new demands of the semi-cloistered life. Things change radically when the abbess dies and her place is taken by an 11-year-old girl whose appetite for reform quickly destroys much that Juliet has come to love in her new life. What makes the book so refreshingly original is not just the unusual structure (the heroine's dual life alone is handled with radiant detail), but the surprising new trajectory the narrative takes after the death of the abbess, as everything Juliette was used to begins to go wrong.

We become involved in every minor crisis, however much we question that the religious life is the answer to her problems. Juliette is a brilliantly drawn character, and the plotting of this ambitious novel is both thoughtful and invigorating, while the basic theme--the ploys we all use to distract ourselves from the painful realities of existence--is handled with subtlety.

Journal Entry 3 by froggie66 from Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, May 23, 2007
Obrigado for the book. Sorry it has taken me so long to journal it but I was in Paris and South Africa for the past month. It has arrived safely. I will read it and then journal it again. It looks like it will be a good read.

Journal Entry 4 by froggie66 from Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Monday, June 11, 2007
This book originally came from Frangipani04 in Lisboa. Thanks for the little surprise of a post card in the book. It felt out in the middle of my reading this book. It was a nice surprise.

The book was a fast read for me. Based in 17th Century France with the ever present prosecution for being a witch and the religious frenzy. I liked the historical setting and it being in France. The religious aspect of it was not my most favourite. The story somewhat set in a Nunnery along with a wandering gypsy circus with a lot of moral angst. It is very much of that time. Well written though and definitely kept my attention til the end.

Don't get me wrong it was a good read and I am sure if you like historicals this will be one for you too.

Journal Entry 5 by froggie66 from Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Friday, June 15, 2007
Being shipped to Ace of Hearts. Happy reading.

Journal Entry 6 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Saturday, June 23, 2007
Received in the mail yesterday. Thanks so much for the RABCK. It was so kind of you :)

Journal Entry 7 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, October 02, 2011
This book is set in seventeenth century France in an out of the way monastery by the sea. When Juliette finds herself pregnant she escapes her life as a gypsy and tightrope walker to lead a peaceful and serene life at the monastery. She tends to her garden and her daughter and teaches the novices to read Latin.

All is well until the abbess dies and the new abbess who is only eleven comes with an old acquaintance, Le Merle. He is posing as a priest but has the most evil of agendas. Juliette, now Sister Auguste would expose him but he is holding her daughter and she must find a way to help the other nuns and save her daughter.

I have mixed feelings about this book. I found the storyline compelling but the ending fell flat. I had difficulty getting into the story but once there, was riveted. The information about the nuns and their lives during this time period was interesting.

Journal Entry 8 by HoserLauren at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Friday, January 13, 2012
Reading now!

Journal Entry 9 by HoserLauren at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Saturday, January 14, 2012
I tried but couldn't get in to this book. Something about combining the life of a performance artist and a nun just didn't work for me. I also couldn't understand why the main character's daughter was allowed to stay with her in the abbey, isn't that unusual?

Journal Entry 10 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, January 15, 2012
This book is back with me!

Journal Entry 11 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, January 15, 2012
mailed to bookstogive who won this in a YBS swap on BookObsessed

Journal Entry 12 by wingbookstogivewing at Springville, Tennessee USA on Thursday, January 19, 2012
Received this book from the YBS Swap, thanks so much! I am really looking forward to reading it and then it can continue it's travels.

Journal Entry 13 by wingbookstogivewing at Springville, Tennessee USA on Wednesday, June 20, 2012
Juliette has been part of the traveling gypsy's for years but upon having a dangerous encounter in a small town overcome with the thought of witchcraft and finding out she is pregnant she joins a convent Abbey and has 5 years of peace. Suddenly a person from her past arrives at the Abbey and all her secrets are in danger of being revealed. Suddenly the quiet Abbey is in turmoil and the nuns are seeing strange sights and devils...what exactly does this person from the past want?

This was a interesting historical novel taking place in France in the early 1600's.

Now ready for a new reader

Journal Entry 14 by wingbookstogivewing at Cordova, Tennessee USA on Thursday, September 06, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (9/6/2012 UTC) at Cordova, Tennessee USA

Released into the Trade Size Paperback Box, I hope it finds a appreciative reader.

To the finder of this book:

Welcome to BookCrossing, a unique community of book lovers, who are sharing their libraries with the world. This book is now yours to read, enjoy, keep or pass on to another reader.

The BookCrossing ID, which you entered in the "Enter a BCID" box on the website, is unique to this copy of this book. We would be delighted if you would make a journal entry to say you have found the book. It is fun for other readers of this book to see where the book has traveled-sometimes around the world!

BookCrossing is free to join, completely confidential, and you may remain anonymous (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address) and a great deal of fun. If you choose to join please consider using meBOOKSTOGIVE as your referring member.

Journal Entry 15 by dancing-dog at Cordova, Tennessee USA on Tuesday, September 25, 2012
Received in the bookpatch-dancing-dog trade-sized paperback bookbox - thank you!

Journal Entry 16 by dancing-dog at Cordova, Tennessee USA on Wednesday, February 03, 2016
I finally read this book last July and then wrote a review on Goodreads but forgot to write one here ....

I enjoyed this book. Like all the Joanne Harris books I have read there were a few twists that made it interesting.

Sorry for hanging on to this for so long. I am sending this on to tribefan to wild-release at one of the release events her local BC group participates in :)

Journal Entry 17 by dancing-dog at Cordova, Tennessee USA on Wednesday, February 03, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (2/3/2016 UTC) at Cordova, Tennessee USA

sending to tribefan

Journal Entry 18 by Tribefan at Lakemore, Ohio USA on Tuesday, February 23, 2016
Thank you so much for sending! This book will be released at OddMall on April 30th at the John S. Knight Center located in downtown Akron.

Journal Entry 19 by Tribefan at Odd Mall - John S. Knight Center in Akron, Ohio USA on Saturday, April 30, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (4/30/2016 UTC) at Odd Mall - John S. Knight Center in Akron, Ohio USA

Look for the Rubber City Book Posse!!!

Bookcrossing: n. the practice of leaving a book in a public place to be picked up and read by others, who then do likewise.
- from the Concise Oxford English Dictionary

Welcome to BookCrossing!

Thank you for picking up this book. Please make a journal entry on the BookCrossing site (www.bookcrossing.com) to let me know that this book has found a good home with you. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free). If you join, please consider indicating that you were referred by Tribefan. I hope you enjoy the book. You can make another journal entry with your comments when you’ve finished reading. Whenever you’re ready to send it on its way, make a journal entry if you are giving or sending this book to a known person, or release notes if you are leaving it “in the wild” again for anyone to catch. Then watch its journey. You’ll be alerted by e-mail each time someone makes another journal entry. It’s all confidential (you’re known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free.