Fred and Edie

by Jill Dawson | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Apechild of York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on 2/19/2007
Journal Entry 1 by Apechild from York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, February 19, 2007
I don't usually like to register my own books here until I've read them. However, I am sorting out which books I'm going to take to Japan with me to read. And I thought I would get them registered now so that they are all ready for releasing in case I have to leave them over in Japan to save space in my suitcase.

Journal Entry 2 by Apechild from York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, May 17, 2007
I finished this last week in Japan but I am only getting around to journalling it now.

It is a fantastic read, the writing is great, high quality stuff. I really want to read more work by this writer now.

The book is made up of mainly love letters (and some memories) written by Edie (Edith) to Freddie as they sit in prison going through the trial for the murder of Edie's husband Percy. The book says it's based on the real-life case and inspired by some of Edie's surviving love letters - I am curious about this side of it, as to whether it's just a literary aide or if this case really did happen.

Through the beginning and middle of the book I did have a lot of sympathy for Edie. She was stuck in a dead end marriage with a boring husband who beat her occasionally, and when the younger guy, Freddie comes into her life and she falls in love you can see how she comes alive. In one of the reviews on the inside cover, the reviewer refers to Edie as having girlish dreams when it comes to wanting to escape her marriage and be with Freddie. I don't really get that comment - is it just stupid girlish dreams to want a partner who respects you, treats you like an equal, doesn't beat you and with whom you have a half-decent sex life with?

Although further on, my sympathy did lessen. Why didn't she just leave Percy? She mentions divorce, but she never really fights for it or just walks out on him, which would have been the right thing to do if she wanted to be with Freddie. Perhaps it was the money and comfortable living that she needed too much. And murdering Percy to get away from him as the final effort to escape went way too far. Because most of it is told from Edie's perspective, you feel that she is trying to make excuses almost for her weak behaviour in not having the guts to walk out on her husband and live with Freddie. Also, her lack of regret or guilt for Percy's death is a little chilling to say the least.

Journal Entry 3 by Apechild at Newnham, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Friday, July 23, 2021

Released 3 mos ago (7/23/2021 UTC) at Newnham, Northamptonshire United Kingdom

Posting out to fellow bookcrosser in the next few days. Interesting looking back at this - been such a long time since I read it - that it did come back up in my mind more recently when I read Sarah Waters' The Paying Guests.

Happy Reading!!!

Journal Entry 4 by Beqi at Daventry, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 27, 2021
It's SO lovely to receive a book in the post, even if I knew it was coming! Many thanks for sending this to me, Apechild. I'm really looking forward to reading this and I'll read it fairly soon. I love the fact that this book has already travelled to Japan. I don't think I can top that, but we shall see....