Speaking with the Angel

by Nick Hornby | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by buttercupgrrl of Lexington, Kentucky USA on 1/24/2003
Journal Entry 1 by buttercupgrrl from Lexington, Kentucky USA on Friday, January 24, 2003
i'm currently reading this, but picked up an extra copy at a book consolidation place (books up to 80% off!!!)...[i hear they have these places all across america, as they come into town like a carnival and then are gone, but what do i care, cheap books! (the book market, that's the name of the store)]

about the book: helen fielding (bridget jones' diary) and colin firth (grrr...) were among the writers who penned short stories in this collection edited by high fidelity author nick hornby =)

Released on Friday, January 24, 2003 at starbucks, Ashland & High (808 East High Street) in Lexington, Kentucky USA.

left it with the sugars, napkins, etc....

Journal Entry 3 by AnnaLibrarian from Richmond, Virginia USA on Saturday, January 25, 2003
I just stopped by Starbucks and asked for this book. The guy at the counter knew exactly what I was talking about and brought it up from the back. He said he remembered it because he had read it before and was impressed with Colin Firth's short story. I've never heard of the book before, but since I was in town, I decided to see if it was still there. Last night, I heard an interview on "Fresh Air" with the two guys who wrote & directed the movie About a Boy, so it seemed somewhat serendipitous that I should find this book by Nick Hornby. I'll try to read it, even though it isn't my genre of choice, and at the very least, I'll pass it along to someone else.

Journal Entry 4 by AnnaLibrarian from Richmond, Virginia USA on Sunday, February 16, 2003
WARNING: This book contains excessive amounts of profanity. Not for the easily offended.
That being noted, I must say that I did enjoy several of the short stories. My favorites: "The Department of Nothing" by Colin Firth, "NippleJesus" by Nick Hornby, "After I Was Thrown In the River and Before I Drowned" by Dave Eggers, and "The Slave" by Roddy Doyle.

Journal Entry 5 by AnnaLibrarian at Library at EKU in Richmond, Kentucky USA on Sunday, February 16, 2003
Released on Sunday, February 16, 2003 at Library at EKU in Richmond, Kentucky USA.

Left on the "Free Books"cart near the front entrance.