Sins of the 7th Sister

by Huston Curtiss | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Cinnamon-Girl of Newnan, Georgia USA on 2/10/2007
Journal Entry 1 by Cinnamon-Girl from Newnan, Georgia USA on Tuesday, May 01, 2007
It is a rare treat to open a book and find yourself enthralled by it from the very first page. Huston Curtiss gives his readers this gift in his first book, Sins of the 7th Sister. Subtitled “A Memoir of the Gothic South,” the book is Curtiss’s own story of growing up on a farm in depression-era West Virginia. It contains an assortment of colorful characters, including his irrepressible mother, Billy-Pearl, who insists on saving her part of the world, including most of the people in it, much to the chagrin of her young son. One of his mother’s missions involves Stanley, a boy from the orphanage who years ago killed his abusive father and was castrated for it; Billy takes him home and under her wing. Stanley becomes a formative presence in Curtiss’s life, giving the seven-year-old Huston the physical affection that the boy feels deprived of from his mother and the rest of his family.

Although the book jacket describes itself as “a story of castration, rape, suicide, murder, and madness,” it is also the account of a young boy growing up on a farm and all the details of that life. From hog butchering to the making of apple butter, Huston conveys what it was like to live and work in a time passed. The minutiae, along with drama, are what make this book riveting. So it’s a little disappointing when, after spending almost three hundred pages to detail eight months, Curtiss decides to condense the next 30-plus years into less than one hundred pages. After being lulled into the meandering style of the first two-thirds of the book, the author jolts us through the next 30 years of Curtiss’s life, with barely a snippet of information about what happened to the people we have come to know and care for.

That said, it is a wonderful tale that leaves the reader wanting to sit down with the author and ask him about all the real-life characters, to discover those untold details. Sins of the 7th Sister is a charming story, all the more appealing because it comes from the author's own experience.

Journal Entry 2 by Cinnamon-Girl from Newnan, Georgia USA on Tuesday, June 05, 2007
I thought this book was so different and interesting, that I've decided to make it into a bookring to see what my fellow BCers think of it.

Journal Entry 3 by Cinnamon-Girl from Newnan, Georgia USA on Thursday, June 14, 2007
This book is beginning its journey! Mailing off to Llednyl today ~ enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by Llednyl from Marysville, Ohio USA on Monday, June 18, 2007
Came in the mail today, can't wait to start reading it!

Journal Entry 5 by Llednyl from Marysville, Ohio USA on Monday, June 25, 2007
What a firecracker of a book! I was totally enthralled, and I haven't read anything that so captured me for awhile. The reader is led to believe that this is a true-to-life memoir, although a little research will show that most of the people and events in this book have probably been highly changed and fictionalized. Personally, I don't think it matters - a good story is a good story. The reader is able to immerse themselves in it, and I wanted to believe the story was true... I think that's what matters more. Billy-Pearl is an amazing character, and as graphic and dark as some of the contents are, the book still manages to have many heartwarming, charming, and funny moments. Thank-you very much for sharing this, it's another book I may not have found without bookcrossing!

I will be taking this to the post office to send to LadyKnightNiko later today.

Journal Entry 6 by LadyKnightNiko from Liberty Township, Ohio USA on Thursday, June 28, 2007
This arrived today, and I'm looking forward to reading it! I will start it when I finish Exit Strategy.

Journal Entry 7 by LadyKnightNiko from Liberty Township, Ohio USA on Tuesday, July 03, 2007
Finished it this morning, and for the most part, I liked it. I'm not sure if I totally believe that all of that was what REALLY happened, but it was entertaining, none-the-less.

Thank you, cinnamon-girl, for sharing! I have the next person's address and will have this moving soon.

Released 13 yrs ago (7/6/2007 UTC) at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On to oi-reader!

Journal Entry 9 by oi-reader from Toledo, Ohio USA on Wednesday, July 11, 2007
recieved today as part of bookring. Am in the middle of 2 other books at the moment but will start this once I've finished one of the others.

Journal Entry 10 by oi-reader from Toledo, Ohio USA on Monday, July 23, 2007
Thanks to Cinnamon-girl for allowing me to participate. This delightful coming of age story had me laughing out loud in many places. Billy is a wonderfully strong woman who in many ways is far ahead of her times, Hughie is everyone's pesty know it all little brother, and Stanley/Stella is a tragic character caught in between. With many colorful characters (I felt sometimes a bit too many to keep straight) and a strong story line this is a book that will stay with me for a while. I have pm'd bestfriends for her shipping info and hope to have it travelling by the end of the week.

Journal Entry 11 by oi-reader from Toledo, Ohio USA on Monday, July 23, 2007
fast response from bestfriends. Sent airmail today. Hope it arrives safely and is enjoyed :)

Journal Entry 12 by bestfriends from - Ergens in de provincie, Gelderland Netherlands on Saturday, July 28, 2007
In my mailbox today! I was embarrassed when I noticed the sticker on the envelope, with the rate US postal service charges for this nowadays. It's outrageous. Well, at least it arrived fast (and in good shape). Thanks oi-reader!

I just finished my current read last night and I have no rings/rays waiting, nor chosen my next read, so can start it this week-end. Looking forward to it. Thanks for sharing Cinnamon-Girl.

Journal Entry 13 by bestfriends from - Ergens in de provincie, Gelderland Netherlands on Thursday, August 02, 2007
A real treat for someone who likes coming-of- age, memoirs and books about "strong women" as much as I do! Towards the middle section I started to loose interest for a while though, but that could have been me (being busy and less concentrated because of moving house soon). The strong ending made up for that though.

I PM-ed Cross-patch and will send the book to her as soon as I have her address.

Released 13 yrs ago (8/3/2007 UTC) at to the next participant in sent by mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

off to Cross-patch (surfacemail)

Journal Entry 15 by wingCross-patchwing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 08, 2007
Arrived this morning. I''ve read 2 pages of the Foreword and want to know more.

Journal Entry 16 by wingCross-patchwing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Thursday, September 06, 2007
What a book! I must say I couldn't stop thinking "Is this real or not?", but I agree with others that it doesn't really matter. I enjoyed just about every page and 'believed' all the characters. I'm such a fan of American character novels, if you see what I mean.

Thank you, Cinnamon-Girl and everybody else for passing this novel on.

Journal Entry 17 by iliotropio from Bruxelles / Brussel, Bruxelles / Brussel Belgium on Tuesday, September 25, 2007
The book has arrived safely in Brussels.
Thank you Cross-patch (for the lovely postcard as well)!

Journal Entry 18 by iliotropio from Bruxelles / Brussel, Bruxelles / Brussel Belgium on Tuesday, January 22, 2008
Such a memorable story! Simply unforgettable!
On its way to Cinnamon-Girl with many thanks!

Journal Entry 19 by Cinnamon-Girl from Newnan, Georgia USA on Monday, March 17, 2008
Received along with some delicious-looking Belgian chocolates - thank you, iliotropio!

This book has arrived safely back home and I plan to wild release soon so some lucky reader will discover the traveling this book has already done.

Thanks to all who joined the ring and kept the book safe in its travels! I appreciated your comments and am glad you participated.