The Other Boleyn Girl

by Philippa Gregory | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by awakeagain of Port Murray, New Jersey USA on 2/9/2007
Journal Entry 1 by awakeagain from Port Murray, New Jersey USA on Friday, February 09, 2007
I've always been interested in the period of Henry VIII and especially Anne Boleyn. I hadn't thought a lot about it until I got this book, but it's true that Mary has always been treated as a background figure and a bit of a nonentity. This books brings her forward as she narrates events from her point of view and gives her her own voice.

Although the author admits that the feelings and emotions she attributes are her own, she says she used historical documents to tell the story. There were details here I hadn't read before and I do admit to wondering how much might actually be fact and how much fiction. Since Mary's been so overlooked before, there's no good way of knowing.

Although this book is more than 600 pages long, I read it in just a few days. Even knowing how it would end didn't lessen my interest. And the narration through Mary's eyes is so well done, that it's almost a surprise when the sword falls since Mary is convinced until the very last moment that Anne's life will be spared.

This is also one of the best written stories of the strain it was on Anne to keep the king enchanted yet at arms length not for months but for years. Most other books I've read made it sound more effortless. I suspect this version may be a lot closer to what actually happened.

Journal Entry 2 by awakeagain from Port Murray, New Jersey USA on Sunday, May 27, 2007
Going in my third trade paperback bookbox. This box will be mailed in a few days.

Journal Entry 3 by jenptcfan from Mechanicsville, Virginia USA on Saturday, June 09, 2007
Removed from awakeagain's trade paper box.

BTW--journal entry #1 above is about a different book. This is The Other Boleyn Girl.

Journal Entry 4 by jenptcfan from Mechanicsville, Virginia USA on Sunday, July 01, 2007
This was an excellent book. I could hardly put it down and read it in only a few days.

The time period and setting are so fascinating anyway, but she weaves in characters that I don't remember having read about in history books and brings them to life.

It's an emotional book. I hated Anne before it was all over...and Henry too. I hated the way the women in the book were treated and how little the children were loved--especially the girls.

I've never thought of myself as a fan of historical fiction, but I will definitely be on the lookout for more books from this author.

Will pass this on in a bookbox.

Journal Entry 5 by jenptcfan from Mechanicsville, Virginia USA on Wednesday, November 07, 2007
This is going out in my X Chromosome Box tomorrow.

Journal Entry 6 by Morgail from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Friday, November 23, 2007
Chosen from the X Chromosome Bookbox. I love historical fiction, and this is one I've been wanting to read.

Journal Entry 7 by Morgail from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Sunday, February 24, 2008
Great book. I loved the way the story was told from Mary's point of view. The description of the strain on Anne was very well done and made me feel exhausted just to read it. And it just broke my heart every time Mary was separated from her children.

Although I loved the story, I did have some issues with the writing. The author uses an extensive amount of adverbs - way more than necessary which was distracting. Also, the dialogue lapsed into modern-day speech at times. The latter didn't bother me as much as I got more into the story.

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie based on this book, which is due out in couple of weeks.

Journal Entry 8 by Morgail at Bookbox in Bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, March 30, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (3/30/2008 UTC) at Bookbox in Bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Adding to downtime's Historical Fiction Bookbox.

Journal Entry 9 by Shausha from Kersey, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, May 12, 2008
took from Historical fiction bookbox and gave to my Mom, she loved it!!! Book is available now on my bookshelf if any one interested