Flesh and Bone: A Body Farm Novel (Body Farm Novels)

by Jefferson Bass | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingAceofHeartswing of Mississauga, Ontario Canada on 2/6/2007
Journal Entry 1 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, February 06, 2007
Dr. Bill Brockton, the founder of the world-famous Body Farm, is hard at work on a troubling new case. A young man’s battered body has been found in nearby Chattanooga, and it’s up to the talented Dr. Brockton to assemble the pieces of the forensic puzzle. Brockton is brought into the case by the rising star of the state’s mechanical examiners, Jess Carter.

Just as they’re on the verge of breaking the case open, events take a terrifying turn. Brockton has re-created the Chattanooga death scene at the Body Farm, but a killer tampers with it in a shocking way: placing another corpse at the setting, confusing authorities and putting Brockton’s career and life in jeopardy. Soon Brockton himself is accused of the horrific new crime, and the once-beloved professor becomes an outcast. As the net around him tightens, Brockton must use all of his forensic skills to prove his own innocence . . . before he ends up behind bars with some of the very killers he’s helped to convict.

Flesh and Bone is another roller-coaster ride into the world of forensic anthropology, its twists and turns marked by drama and pathos, humor and grief, families and friends and enemies. With captivatingly real characters, plus fascinating scientific insights drawn from the case files of a living forensic legend, this astonishing novel confirms Jefferson Bass as one of our most talented authors of suspense.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, February 18, 2007
This book has a bit of everything: mystery, forensic science, and even romance. Dr.Brockton is attempting to solve a mystery involving a young man tied to a tree when the medical examiner is killed. Are the two mysteries connected? It turns out that Brockton is the main suspect in the medical examiner's death. What ensues is a number of twists, a sleazy lawyer and friends who help Brockton solve the crime. I thought the way that Bass intertwined the 2 murders was very well written. I never would have guessed who the murderer was. Altogether a very good mystery with just enough forensic gore and a little bit of humor thrown in

Journal Entry 3 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Friday, April 27, 2007
Reading now.

Journal Entry 4 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, May 01, 2007
Dr. Brockton is the head of the body farm at the local university. When the body of a pedophile is found hung from a tree, Brockton tries to duplicate the decay of the body to determine how long it has been there. During this time he gets close to Dr Jess Carter, an ME from the neighbouring town. The two get a little too close though, and Brockton finds himself in big trouble.
This book flows exceptionally well. You are compelled to keep turning the page to find out how Brockton is going to get himself out of trouble, and who the murderers are. Yet at the same time, there is great in detail descriptions of how a body farm works. Bass does go off on a few society tangents that are obviously his view that he maybe should have kept in his head rather than in the pages of the book. For example, the "creationist" debate never really gets solved. And the information about keeping child safe on the net was sort of out of the blue as well.
That being said, this novel had multiple murders, lawyer manipulations, love interests, and pretty good writing. The ending wrapped up great and I was so happy the Grease grew a conscience.

Journal Entry 5 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, May 13, 2007
mailed yesterday to Candy-is-Dandy who won this in the YBS swap

Journal Entry 6 by wingcandy-is-dandywing from Great Bardfield, Essex United Kingdom on Monday, May 21, 2007
Thanks Ace - your gory book arrived safely. Look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 7 by wingcandy-is-dandywing at Great Bardfield, Essex United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 08, 2013
I haven't got around to reading this and am having a bit of a clear out, so will be moving this on soon.

Released 6 yrs ago (5/11/2013 UTC) at Great Bardfield Garage Sale in Great Bardfield, Essex United Kingdom

A free book.

You are now on the bookcrossing website. Please leave a note as to how you found this book and where. I hope you take some time to read it. You can then come back here and leave some comments. You may keep the book or pass it on for others to share.

I hope I hear from you and find out where this book goes.

Journal Entry 9 by wingcandy-is-dandywing at Great Bardfield, Essex United Kingdom on Monday, June 10, 2013
Not picked up at the Garage Sale so back on my shelf (and available).

Released 5 yrs ago (3/14/2014 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Sent to yorkshire-lass as a bookswap - requested from my Availables list.

Journal Entry 11 by wingyorkshire-lasswing at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Saturday, March 15, 2014
Thank you for agreeing to swap with me.
It may be a while until I get to this as my TBR piles is huge, but it will be read and passed on again.

Journal Entry 12 by wingyorkshire-lasswing at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Friday, January 22, 2016
A really good gripping read, I'm looking forward to reading the next in the series.

Journal Entry 13 by wingyorkshire-lasswing at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Friday, January 22, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (1/23/2016 UTC) at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom

This is on its way to the winner of the Tea and Mystery Sweeps, hope you enjoy this and all the other books heading your way.
I only finished reading this about 15 min ago, I really enjoyed it, hope you do too :-)

Journal Entry 14 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Friday, January 29, 2016
This book arrived safely today with an interesting selection of teas. The release notes say I've won, so that must be true.
I look forward to reading this book, for I love the subject. It may take a while before I get to it, but I will read and pass it on.