The Impressionist

by Hari Kunzru | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by rapturina of Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on 2/6/2007
Journal Entry 1 by rapturina from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, February 06, 2007
I really LOVED this book! Very well written, exciting and thought provoking at the same time. I would've finished this book in one go if I hadn't actually been in Paris while reading it and had other stuff to look at. :)

From the backflap:
"In India, at the birth of the last century, an infant is brought howling into the world, his remarkable paleness marking him out from his brown-skinned fellows. Revered at first, he is later cast out from his wealthy home when his true parentage is revealed. So begins Pran Nath's odyssey of self-discovery - a journey that will take him from the streets of Agra, via the red light district of Bombay, to the thick brick cloisters of Oxford and beyond - as he struggles to understand who he really is."

Going out into the world as a bookring!

Participants:

tagesmann [in UK - send anywhere surface]
chich [in France - send anywhere]
kotus123 [in Germany - send Europe]

DONE!

If you still want to join, just PM me and I'll add you to the list! Due to participants joining up later, the order of mailing might change.

Journal Entry 2 by nawoo82 from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Sunday, March 25, 2007
Received it yesterday morning. I received 3 books yesterday, 2 of which are bookring books (why do they all turn up at the same time? lol) but I'll still manage to read this one in time as I have a lot of free time these days.

Journal Entry 3 by nawoo82 from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Monday, April 23, 2007
Well, I really loved this book! I love the style, the rhythm, everything! It's really hard to put it down once you've started it.
I'm not going to expand too much in the review as I'm the first on the list and don't want to spoil the story for the other participants.

What's more, I always find it difficult to write a long review of a book I really liked, because I don't have any criticism to make on it. I don't have much to say except : read it, you won't regret it!

For the little anecdote : I was in Italy last week and unfortunately got sick. For 2 days I was too sick to read or do anything at all except sleep, and my poor fiancé was getting bored as he had finished his own book and had nothing else to do but watch over me. He was so bored that he picked up The Impressionist, and started reading it. He loved it so much that he didn't raised his head from the book until he finished it!!
So, just so you know, your book went to Italy and has already been read by 2 persons who loved it! Thanks for organizing this bookring as we would have never read it otherwise.

Will send it to the next participant as soon as I have the address

Journal Entry 4 by nawoo82 from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Thursday, May 03, 2007
Off to Iceland, as of tuesday morning.
Hope you'll enjoy the book as much as I did!

Journal Entry 5 by Bjorg from Reykjavík, Reykjavík (Höfuðborgar svæðið) Iceland on Thursday, May 10, 2007
The book arrived today from nawoo82 via bookring;)
will start on it as soon as I´ve finished the book I´m reading now:)

Journal Entry 6 by Bjorg from Reykjavík, Reykjavík (Höfuðborgar svæðið) Iceland on Saturday, June 16, 2007
Just finished the book, at last! sorry that it took me a while!
Anyways, I really liked this book, it´s so well written and so intresting. Was really excited to see what would happen to the hero in this story. He sure had an unusual and strange life!

Will send it off to the next participant as soon as I´ve got an address:)

Journal Entry 7 by Bjorg from Reykjavík, Reykjavík (Höfuðborgar svæðið) Iceland on Saturday, June 16, 2007
Have now gotten the address and will mail the book on monday to ellie02:)

Journal Entry 8 by ellie02 from Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 26, 2007
received this yesterday its next on my pile to be read! Will journal when I have finished

Journal Entry 9 by ellie02 from Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 10, 2007
really enjoyed this very easy to read and hard to put down. Great characters will post as soon as I get address from bluecat07. Thanks for letting me borrow it

Journal Entry 10 by bluecat07 from Karben, Hessen Germany on Monday, July 16, 2007
The book arrived here today. Thanks for sending it, ellie02!

Journal Entry 11 by bluecat07 from Karben, Hessen Germany on Friday, August 24, 2007
Since yesterday the book is on its way to Enidq...

I just couldn't really get into this book. I tried, but then thought that I have other rings and TBRs waiting so I let this one go...

Thank you so much for this ring, rapturina!

Journal Entry 12 by Enidq on Tuesday, August 28, 2007
Ok. Well I have tried and I cannot get into this book. Sending it onto the next BCer.

Journal Entry 13 by carrie1 from Crossville, Tennessee USA on Thursday, October 25, 2007
Book arrived today.

Journal Entry 14 by carrie1 from Crossville, Tennessee USA on Tuesday, October 30, 2007
Bug2004 asked to be skipped this time from being too swamped. So I'm waiting on an address for JerrilynnL to mail it onward. I hate to say that I just couldn't get into this book either. I really tried & got about half-way thru before giving up. I suppose the old saying is true, "Different strokes for different folks." :)

10/31/07
Update - JerrilynnL asked to be skipped as well due to a full plate, so I'll send out to tiatia today.

Journal Entry 15 by tiatia from Fredericksburg, Virginia USA on Thursday, January 10, 2008
Must be having a case of the DUHs. I forgot to journal that it arrived then dawdled through the holiday overload. Thanks for waiting.

I loved the descriptions and insight of the main charachter adapting to his changing environments. Through circustances and design he is a chameleon in life. Part of me thinks that the book could have stopped short of the travel to the Fotse as the last pages were surreal. The other part of me was glad the author left me knowing that he had found enough of himself to keep searching for more. I did not feel that closure with Star.
will send to fairydustwings as soon as I get an address.

Journal Entry 16 by tiatia from Fredericksburg, Virginia USA on Thursday, February 07, 2008
No response from fairydustwings after two emails in an almost one month period. Will try LisaGriffith next.

Journal Entry 17 by tiatia from Fredericksburg, Virginia USA on Tuesday, February 12, 2008
off to Lisa Griffith. If I hear from fairy dust wings I'll let you know.

Journal Entry 18 by LisaGriffith from Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Monday, February 18, 2008
Thank you tiatia. The book arrived this weekend.

Journal Entry 19 by istop4books from Castle Rock, Colorado USA on Monday, May 12, 2008
Arrived safe and sound. Will get to it shortly!

Journal Entry 20 by istop4books from Castle Rock, Colorado USA on Saturday, July 12, 2008
Sorry to have kept this so long but there was a death in the family in May which involved a trip to South America, and life if just now getting back to normal.

This was a mixed bag for me. I ultimately thought that he worked well with the questions of identity and racial discrimination especially with regards to the children who were of mixed race and rejected by both sides. I felt though that the book was slow, overambitious and that it took off on too many tangents, which made it a bit of a slog at times.

Thanks rapturina for organizing! This is being mailed out today to passiontoread.

Journal Entry 21 by passiontoread from Coopersburg, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, July 22, 2008
Got this in the mail today. Thanks for passing along. Have another book I need to finish before I start this and an anxious to read it. It looks good!

Journal Entry 22 by passiontoread from Coopersburg, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, August 25, 2008
Thank you all for sharing this book. I got about 100 pages away from the end and had a very hard time getting in to it. I kept reading thinking it would catch my interest but thought I had had the book for so long and it was slow going so I made the decision to contact the next person in line before anyone thought it was a stalled bookring. There was a part in the book that I had a hard time putting it down and thought there would be another time I would feel that way with it but it just didn't come. I am contacting the next bookcrosser. Thanks rapturina for sharing.

Journal Entry 23 by passiontoread from Coopersburg, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, August 30, 2008
Mailed to celeritas2 yesterday.

Journal Entry 24 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Wednesday, September 03, 2008
Just got this is the mail yesterday, wow fast postage! I'm really looking forward to reading it.

CAUGHT IN WELLINGTON NEW ZEALAND

Journal Entry 25 by celeritas2 from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Wednesday, September 03, 2008
Apologies twas me, thought I was logged in.

Journal Entry 26 by Midlifecrisis from St. Austell, Cornwall United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Discovered today in my letter box. Thanks everyone for having me in the ring, and I will read and journal as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 27 by Midlifecrisis from St. Austell, Cornwall United Kingdom on Friday, March 19, 2010
Sorry, I got to about page 150, but found the going getting slower. I couldn't really identify with the main character who, for me, was not portrayed in any depth or way I could relate to. The terrible things that happened to him in the first 100 pages, I should have cared, but I didn't. I also got a bit bogged down in history/military details, so with regret am pm'ing the next person for their details. Will journal again as soon as the book is in the post. Thank you anyway for letting me give this one a try.

Journal Entry 28 by tagesmann on Friday, March 26, 2010
Arrived safely today. Thanks.

27/05/2010.
Well I've finished it. This was Hari Kunzru's first published work and was, apparently, a great success.
It is the second book of his that I have read. By coincidence I had just finsihed listening to an audiobook of Transmission when this book arrived on my doorstep.
I have mixed feelings about the book because although it is well told, I don't think I really enjoyed it that much. No that's not it. I did enjoy the some of the stories, particularly the ones set in Fatehpur and Oxford. But I really disliked the final story set in Africa and the ending was rubbish. But thanks for sharing rapturina.

chich has asked to be skipped and I'm waiting to hear from kotus123...

Journal Entry 29 by WormyOne at Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on Saturday, August 07, 2010
Many thanks for this wishlist book. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 30 by WormyOne at Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on Friday, August 20, 2010
Kunzru explores issues of race, colonialism and identity through this story of a mixed-race child who begins life passing as fully Indian and ends up passing as white. Both witty and poignant, it's cleverly written and well constructed. I recommend it.

Released 8 yrs ago (1/25/2011 UTC) at Brighton Railway Station in Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom

On the seats nearest the ticket barriers, on the concourse, at about 10:15.

Journal Entry 32 by eviechandler at Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 25, 2011
haven't read it yet, but will attempt to read it soon.
found the book in brighton station ten minutes after it had been dropped off, shall release it after i have read it.