GOOD EARTH

by Pearl S. Buck | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by skcreader of Roanoke, Virginia USA on 1/22/2003
Journal Entry 1 by skcreader from Roanoke, Virginia USA on Wednesday, January 22, 2003
TBR

Journal Entry 2 by skcreader from Roanoke, Virginia USA on Friday, August 08, 2003
RABCK

Journal Entry 3 by Aramena from Moore, Oklahoma USA on Wednesday, August 20, 2003
Received with a box of books yesterday - thanks skcreader! A classic, right?

Journal Entry 4 by Aramena from Moore, Oklahoma USA on Friday, March 23, 2007
Since my TBR pile is so big, I’m sending a few of the waiting books out on journeys to be enjoyed by others while I try to whittle the TBR pile down. Don't laugh, it could happen! Anyway, if you are interested in joining this book ring, PM me. For those signed up, the shipping order is below, it could possibly change depending on mailing preferences though, which I have noted on my chart.

1. herchelle (Canada)
2. CynthiaA (Canada)
3. geishabird (Canada)
4. SillySilhouette (US)
5. Bibliocrates (US)

Then back to me!

Usual ring rules and regulations apply, any questions just PM me!

Journal Entry 5 by Aramena from Moore, Oklahoma USA on Monday, March 26, 2007
Packed up today and will be mailed as soon as I get to the post office!

Journal Entry 6 by wingherchellewing from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, April 12, 2007
I recieved this wonderful book in the mail yesterday and I can not put it down. It is like a visit from my old dear friends; Wang Lung, Olan, their family and friends and I am really enjoying their visit with me again...it has been such a long time. Thank you for sending me this book, I am honoured to part of this book ring!

Journal Entry 7 by wingherchellewing from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, April 18, 2007
A truly satisfying book!! It was just as wonderful the fifth time around as the first. I will be sending it off to the next one in the ring. Again, thank you for giving me the opportunity to read this again.

Journal Entry 8 by CynthiaA from Brantford, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, May 29, 2007
Arrived today, safe and sound. Took a heck of a long time -- darned Canada Post! But it is great timing in that I just finished a book this a.m. so I can get right to it!

Journal Entry 9 by geishabird from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, July 31, 2007
Received today - thank you! I've always wanted to read this...

Journal Entry 10 by geishabird from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, August 15, 2007
I really enjoyed this. A compelling and fascinating story. It put me in mind of John Steinbeck's East of Eden at times. I liked the almost biblical cadence she uses as a narrative voice; it really imparts a sense of the epic to the tale. Really a great read.

I wasn't aware that this book is the first in a trilogy of books chronicling the story of the Wang family; I am now very interested in reading the rest of the saga. I'd be glad to read anything of Buck's, actually; she is extremely readable!

Thanks very much for sharing. I have SillySilhouette's address and will post this off in the next day or two.

Journal Entry 11 by geishabird from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Saturday, August 18, 2007
Book was mailed out yesterday...enjoy!

Journal Entry 12 by SillySilhouette from Akron, Ohio USA on Monday, August 20, 2007

This delightful-looking book has arrived safely and soundly (and with good timing to boot)! -Lately, I've been wondering if I should start a fiction book because I've been reading portions of my non-fiction books in such a willy-nilly fashion.

Thanks bunches!

Journal Entry 13 by SillySilhouette from Akron, Ohio USA on Sunday, November 11, 2007

Wonderful! I really enjoyed reading about the ups and downs that occurred throughout Wang Lung's life. I found it interesting to see how his aging affected his thoughts, his energy level and his desires.

A lesson to learn is that life is unpredictable and that everyone has his/her own struggles to deal with.

12/05/07 It's finally on it's way back to Aramena (Bibliocrates asked to be skipped).

Journal Entry 14 by Aramena from Moore, Oklahoma USA on Tuesday, December 11, 2007
Arrived home today! I'm moving this up in my TBR queue, and will hopefully get to it in the next couple of months myself. Thanks everybody for making this a successful ring, after reading all the journal entries I'm eager to read the book myself!

Journal Entry 15 by Aramena from Moore, Oklahoma USA on Sunday, December 30, 2007
I was starting to feel like I would never finish this book. I don't know that'd I'd call it enjoyable but I started off all right, but towards the end it just seemed like it was going on forever. I really felt sorry for O-lan and did not feel tht Wang Lung deserved her. I know it was a very different time back then, but I just didn't much care for Wang Lung.

I'll either offer this in the forum or check wish lists to pass on.

Journal Entry 16 by Aramena from Moore, Oklahoma USA on Friday, January 04, 2008
This is off today to Guinaveve, and my apologies for taking so long to get it in the mail!

Journal Entry 17 by guinaveve from Mason, Ohio USA on Monday, January 14, 2008
Thank you Aramena. I look forward to reading this. After, I plan to include it in a bookbox I am putting together to go out sometime this month or next.
THANKS!

Journal Entry 18 by guinaveve from Mason, Ohio USA on Saturday, January 26, 2008
What a great book! I was fascinated to follow the twist and turns of Wang Lung's life and really didn't want the story to end. I see mentioned above that this is part of a trilogy and will have to look for the other 2 books now.
Thanks for sharing it with me. I am reserving it for a bookbox I am hosting soon.

Released 11 yrs ago (2/29/2008 UTC) at by postal services in Sent by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

I have included this book in my "Well Traveled" Bookbox.

Journal Entry 20 by ariesgirl29 on Wednesday, March 05, 2008
Arrived in a well-traveled bookbox. I am putting back in and can't wait to see it's travels!

Journal Entry 21 by jenptcfan from Mechanicsville, Virginia USA on Wednesday, March 19, 2008
Pulled from the Well Traveled Box.

Journal Entry 22 by jenptcfan from Mechanicsville, Virginia USA on Monday, April 14, 2008
I finished this today. I enjoy reading books that are set in China (or similar areas) because I think the culture of the time was interesting.

I loved Olan's character. She was so smart and strong and I hated that Wang didn't realize exactly what he had in her, but it was a different time and culture. It seemed like at about the midpoint of the book, Wang's personality shifted a lot in the course of just a couple of paragraphs...a little abrupt.

All in all, it wasn't a bad book, but I didn't like it enough to seek out the other books in the trilogy. I'll send it on soon to keep it moving.

Thanks for sharing it with me.

Here are a few lines that cracked me up (whether they were meant to or not!)

"Now calm your heart, my father. It is not a harlot but a second woman in the house."
But the old man would not be silent and whether he heard what was said or not no one knew only that he shouted over and over, "There is a harlot here!" And he said suddenly, seeing Wang Lung near him, "And I had one woman and my father had one woman and we farmed the land." And again he cried out after a time, "I say it is a harlot!"
And so the old man woke from his aged and fitful sleeping with a sort of cunning hatred against Lotus. He would go to the doorway of her court and shout suddenly into the air, "Harlot!" -- page 150

*This is going out soon to Moonwoolf in Portugal.

Journal Entry 23 by jenptcfan at N/A in ***, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, April 17, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (4/17/2008 UTC) at N/A in ***, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Sent as a ray it forward to moonwoolf who has promised to read it and keep the ray it forward going. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 24 by Moonwoolf from Azambuja, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Monday, April 28, 2008
Receive it today :) When i finish reading i will ray it forward again :)
This will fill the challenge of Nobels that i'm trying to do :) Thankksss