Visits from the Drowned Girl

by Steven Sherrill | Mystery & Thrillers |
ISBN: 1841955094 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingfuturecatwing of Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on 2/2/2007
Journal Entry 1 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, February 02, 2007
Picked up from the free books table outside the English department at the university - someone must have been cleaning out their office, because there was a huge pile of books there for the taking!

v

Journal Entry 2 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Monday, December 17, 2007
This looked like it was going to be a really good book, but I was completely disappointed. The premise was interesting enough - a man sees a woman walk into a river and drown herself, leaving behind a videotape of the act. He knows he should report it to the police, but is tempted by the power the secret seems to give him.

The first disappointment was the quality of the editing. Within the first 8 pages I'd already spotted two cases of mis-used "it's" - not a good look when the author is an Assoc. Prof. of English!!!

The next disappointment was just how exceptionally horrible almost all the characters were, especially the main character. I thought at first it would be bearable, because the nastiness was mostly passive, and you could almost feel sorry for Benny because he didn't actually set out to cause harm, he was just such a loser that he couldn't decide to act, and it was his inaction that caused the harm. But as the book progressed, he (and the rest of the characters) start to be actively nasty, and any glimmer of sympathy was lost. I never enjoy a book where I can't at least see the point of view of the characters (even if I don't agree with it), and these people were all so horrible I couldn't find any point of identification at all.

So overall, a book I was really glad to get to the end of.

But who knows, the next reader might love it...

=+=

Journal Entry 3 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, January 08, 2008
Picked up by another bookcrosser at tonight's meetup.

v

Journal Entry 4 by marcienz from Kimbell, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Okay, so I'm a week late writing a journal entry.......I had my Dad visiting last week then a virus attacked our computer so here I am and I look forward to reading this book and writing a better review. Cheers.

Journal Entry 5 by marcienz at Trattorie Cafe (OBCZ) in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Monday, March 17, 2008

Released 12 yrs ago (3/17/2008 UTC) at Trattorie Cafe (OBCZ) in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

I did read this book. I agree totally with Futurecat's review of the story. My husband liked the cover.

I'm taking this in to the first weekday daytime meeting.

Journal Entry 6 by awhina from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Monday, March 17, 2008
Grabbed this from this mornings offerings. Marcie assures me that zl4kenz will appreciate the cover. She also assured me that it would be foolish to read the book. So I shan't.

Journal Entry 7 by awhina at Marine Parade in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, February 05, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (2/5/2009 UTC) at Marine Parade in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Left on a table outside a bar.

P.S. There is a "daylight gathering" held in Christchurch, New Zealand, in the third week of each month. To find out the day and time of the next one, Private Message (PM) awhina http://www.bookcrossing.com/sendmessage/awhina