The Song of the Dodo: Island Biogeography in an Age of Extinction

by David Quammen | Outdoors & Nature |
Registered by biba89 of Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on 2/1/2007
Journal Entry 1 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Thursday, February 01, 2007
I loved his Boilerplate rhino and for sure am going to love this one, too.

Journal Entry 2 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Tuesday, July 24, 2007
Oh, yes, I did. In short: species on an island are running a greater risk of extinction than species in a larger population within a larger area. Quammen delves into the history of that science, that theory, being developed. And now, what with all the human activity and human settlement where there is little room left for others, most species live on islands, little patches of wild places within large amounts of concrete and agriculture. How does that affect their chance of survival? Quammen reads the publications, speaks with the authors, travels to the study sites, asks questions, gives his modest opinion of these people, follows the animals around as they are being studied, talks about Darwin vs. Wallace, about the muriqui, the Galapagos mockingbird, the Mauritius kestrel and how it was saved from extinction by a blunt Welshman, the golden bamboo lemur and the famous boy guide from Madagascar, Bedo, who even traveled with Frans Lanting.
What he did for me was explain the nature of extinction, the processes, the risks, the vortices, the polictics and the science. I understand now. I feel tremendously enriched.