Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons

by Lorna Landvik | Women's Fiction |
Registered by retromonkey of Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on 1/29/2007
Journal Entry 1 by retromonkey from Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Monday, January 29, 2007
Synopsis
Sometimes life is like a bad waiter - it serves you exactly what you don't want. The women of Freesia Court have come together at life's table, fully convinced that there is nothing that good coffee, delectable desserts and a strong shoulder can't fix. Laughter is the glue that holds them together - the foundation of a book group they call AHEB (Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons) - an unofficial club that becomes a lifeline. The five women each have a story to tell. There's Faith, the newcomer, a housewife and mother who harbours a terrible secret; big, beautiful Audrey, the resident sex queen who knows that with good posture and attitude you can get away with anything; Merit, the shy doctor's wife with the face of an angel and the private hell of an abusive husband; Kari, a wise woman with a wonderful laugh who knows that the greatest gifts appear after life's fiercest storms; and finally, Slip, activist and adventurer, a tiny spitfire who looks trouble straight in the eye and challenges it to arm wrestle. Holding on through forty eventful years - through the swinging Sixties, the turbulent Seventles, the anything-goes Eighties, the nothing's-impossible Nineties, to the present day - they take the plunge into the chaos that inevitably comes to those with the temerity to stay alive and kicking.

Released 12 yrs ago (2/17/2007 UTC) at controlled release in controlled release, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases

Thanks for the trade Kleptokitty. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by Kleptokitty on Wednesday, March 28, 2007
I´ve been away from home for a couple of weeks, so finding this on the doormat amoungst all the bills on my return was a really nice treat. Thankyou! I´ll admit that I chose it on the strength of the name alone, but it does look like I´ll enjoy it.

Journal Entry 4 by Kleptokitty on Friday, April 27, 2007
When I picked this up & discovered that it was yet another book about book clubs, my decision to choose it on title alone seemed rather daft! I´m currently half way through, and although this is only an interim journal entry, I have to say that I´m really rather enjoying it.

Journal Entry 5 by Kleptokitty on Wednesday, May 02, 2007
OK, this wasn´t the most exciting book I´ve ever read, but it kept me engrossed for a few hours and even brought a tear to my eye. I tend to find these books featuring close groups of female friends a bit cloying, probably because I don´t have any relationships like that myself, but this one somehow passed the sentimentality test.

Until I find an alternative home for it, I´ll be keeping this one in our guest accommodation as my books find allot of (sadly unjournalled) readers that way.

Journal Entry 6 by Kleptokitty at n/a in n/a, By Post -- Controlled Releases on Friday, May 11, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (5/11/2007 UTC) at n/a in n/a, By Post -- Controlled Releases

I love being able to keep books moving! This one is crossing borders again & is now on it´s way to Yinny in Rotterdam.

Journal Entry 7 by Yinny from Capelle aan den IJssel, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, May 16, 2007
Thank you very much for this book, Kleptokitty! The title is very intriguing...

Journal Entry 8 by Yinny from Capelle aan den IJssel, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, September 02, 2008
A very nice book about a group of women who become close friends. And being together in a bookclub as well!
I have to agree with Kleptokitty that the story is not much, but enough for a few enjoyable hours.

Released 10 yrs ago (10/5/2008 UTC) at Minimeeting Syls place in Nieuwerkerk aan den IJssel, Zuid-Holland Netherlands

Let's see if this book can find another Bookcrosser...

Journal Entry 10 by Hellehond from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Sunday, October 05, 2008
Meegenomen van de meeting bij SylS, 5/10/2008

Journal Entry 11 by Hellehond at Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Sunday, August 01, 2010
I really liked this novel. Maybe it ísn't great literature, maybe it's nature is somewhat 'seventies', but it was very enjoyable to read.