Ghost Heart

by Cecilia Samartin | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by libragirl of Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on 1/28/2007
Journal Entry 1 by libragirl from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Sunday, January 28, 2007
From the Back Cover
It is 1955 and two cousins, Nora and Alicia, are growing up in Cuba, where the sea is a beguiling turquoise and at night the lights glitter like stars along Havana’s shoreline. But revolutionary storm clouds are gathering, and as Fidel Castro comes to power, banks are closed, religion outlawed, and food shortages begin. Nora and her family emigrate to California; Alicia and hers stay behind.
But Nora has left her heart in Cuba with her cousin. As the years pass and she becomes a woman, Alicia writes of her marriage to Tony, the birth of her daughter, and the terrible privations ordinary Cubans are suffering.

When Tony is arrested for anti-revolutionary behaviour, and Alicia and her daughter’s survival becomes increasingly hand-to-mouth, Nora knows she must leave her privileged life in America, and return to help them. But Cuba, and Alicia’s life as a single parent, is like nothing she has ever imagined…

Journal Entry 2 by TheLetterB from Dunedin, Otago New Zealand on Thursday, April 19, 2007
Looks worth a try.

Journal Entry 3 by TheLetterB from Dunedin, Otago New Zealand on Thursday, May 31, 2007
I quite enjoyed this story. In the end I found the good girl/bad girl story a bit frustrating and predictable. There were plenty of exciting events in the story, and I was interested in what life for Cuban emigrants was like compared to those that stayed behind, but overall I've probably a few too many of these kinds of books in the past year or two to think this one anything special.

Journal Entry 4 by TheLetterB at Given to a friend in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, June 02, 2007

Released 13 yrs ago (6/2/2007 UTC) at Given to a friend in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Given to another BCer.

Journal Entry 5 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, June 02, 2007
Left behind after the meetup last night, so I've claimed it :-)

v

Journal Entry 6 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, December 04, 2007
I really enjoyed this book. The descriptions of life in Cuba pre- and post-revolution were fascinating (especially the stuff about the Santeros - I read about the religion when I was studying Spanish). I liked too the pace of the story, skipping forward months at a time between letters and narrative sections - sometimes that can be annoying, but it worked really well here to illustrate the pace of change in the characters' lives.

v

Journal Entry 7 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, December 18, 2007
Left under the Christmas tree at our Bookcrossing Christmas Party.