Odd Thomas

by Dean Koontz | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by CheriePie of Campbell, California USA on 1/28/2007
Journal Entry 1 by CheriePie from Campbell, California USA on Sunday, January 28, 2007
Book Description
“The dead don't talk. I don't know why.” But they do try to communicate, with a short-order cook in a small desert town serving as their reluctant confidant. Odd Thomas thinks of himself as an ordinary guy, if possessed of a certain measure of talent at the Pico Mundo Grill and rapturously in love with the most beautiful girl in the world, Stormy Llewellyn. Maybe he has a gift, maybe it’s a curse, Odd has never been sure, but he tries to do his best by the silent souls who seek him out. Sometimes they want justice, and Odd’s otherworldly tips to Pico Mundo's sympathetic police chief, Wyatt Porter, can solve a crime. Occasionally they can prevent one. But this time it's different.

A mysterious man comes to town with a voracious appetite, a filing cabinet stuffed with information on the world's worst killers, and a pack of hyena-like shades following him wherever he goes. Who the man is and what he wants, not even Odd’s deceased informants can tell him. His most ominous clue is a page ripped from a day-by-day calendar for August 15.

Today is August 14.

In less than twenty-four hours, Pico Mundo will awaken to a day of catastrophe. As evil coils under the searing desert sun, Odd travels through the shifting prisms of his world, struggling to avert a looming cataclysm with the aid of his soul mate and an unlikely community of allies that includes the King of Rock 'n' Roll. His account of two shattering days when past and present, fate and destiny converge is the stuff of our worst nightmares—and a testament by which to live: sanely if not safely, with courage, humor, and a full heart that even in the darkness must persevere.

I read this back in 2004 as part of time-traveler's bookring and have now acquired this copy for Mike to read.

My Review
This was a great book. I had a hard time putting it down. The only drawback I can see, and it actually adds to the book in a way since it directly relates to Odd's character, is that he jumps around a lot in his thoughts, going into a long speel about a past event with his Grandmother or someone, while in the middle of some other part of the story that's got nothing to do with that person. At first, this bugged me a little, but after awhile, it endeared me more to Odd, allowed me to "get into his head" more, as we all well know that our own thoughts are often random and jumbled like this, and often have nothing to do with the situation at hand. Again, the only reason I found this a slight drawback in the beginning is that all these new characters and situations were being introduced, and if I wanted to go back and look up something I previously read about a character mentioned later, it could be anywhere... this is definitely one of those books where I used a post-it in the back of the book to note page numbers where key characters and some of their distinguishing characteristics were first introduced.

But now that I brought that up, I would have to say that that's probably the only reason I didn't give it a 10. Because the story itself was great! Suspenseful, quirky, touching, all those words come to mind when I think back over the story. I'm sure it's one of those books that'll remain with me for awhile to come. Matter of fact, I'll probably try to get a copy to have my fiance read at some point too.

In any case, this was definitely a great book and I look forward to reading everyone else's comments here as they come in. :)

Released 13 yrs ago (7/2/2007 UTC) at FrugalReader in USPS, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases

Mailed on 02-July-2007 via USPS Media Mail with Delivery Confirmation # 9102805213907420417131.