Midwives (Oprah's Book Club)

by Chris Bohjalian | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by jaenelle of Orlando, Florida USA on 1/30/2007
Journal Entry 1 by jaenelle from Orlando, Florida USA on Tuesday, January 30, 2007
Pre-numbered label used for registration.

Journal Entry 2 by AVSB-OBCZ from Alta Vista, Kansas USA on Thursday, March 05, 2009
Amazon.com Review
Oprah Book Club® Selection, October 1998: On a violent, stormy winter night, a home birth goes disastrously wrong. The phone lines are down, the roads slick with ice. The midwife, unable to get her patient to a hospital, works frantically to save both mother and child while her inexperienced assistant and the woman's terrified husband look on. The mother dies but the baby is saved thanks to an emergency C-section. And then the nightmare begins: the assistant suggests that maybe the woman wasn't really dead when the midwife operated:

Did she perform at least eight or nine cycles as my mother said, or four or five as Asa recalled? That is the sort of detail that was disputable. But at some point within minutes of what my mother believed had been a stroke, after my mother concluded the cardiopulmonary resuscitation had failed to generate a pulse or a breath, she screamed for Asa and Anne to find her the sharpest knife in the house.

In Midwives, Chris Bohjalian chronicles the events leading up to the trial of Sibyl Danforth, a respected midwife in the small Vermont town of Reddington, on charges of manslaughter. It quickly becomes evident, however, that Sibyl is not the only one on trial--the prosecuting attorney and the state's medical community are all anxious to use this tragedy as ammunition against midwifery in general; this particular midwife, after all, an ex-hippie who still evokes the best of the flower-power generation, is something of an anachronism in 1981. Through it all, Sibyl, her husband, Rand, and their teenage daughter, Connie, attempt to keep their family intact, but the stress of the trial--and Sibyl's growing closeness to her lawyer--puts pressure on both marriage and family. Bohjalian takes readers through the intricacies of childbirth and the law, and by the end of Sibyl Danforth's trial, it's difficult to decide which was more harrowing--the tragic delivery or its legal aftermath.

Narrated by a now adult Connie, Midwives moves back and forth in time, fitting vital pieces of information about what happened that night like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle into its complicated plot. As Connie looks back on her mother's trial, she is still trying to understand what happened--not on the night of the disaster--but in the months and years that followed. --Margaret Prior

Journal Entry 3 by jaenelle from Orlando, Florida USA on Sunday, March 08, 2009
I've decided to make a bookring of this.

The shipping order is:

jaenelle (KS)
flossie771 (GA, can ship anywhere)
24-7-365Reader (UK, prefers Europe but can send int'l)
Bookworm-lady (Spain, prefers Europe)
Canadian-Babe (Italy, prefers Europe but can do US/Canada if need to)
krista72 (Canada, prefers Canada or US)
ciloma (prefers US, then Canada, but can do elsewhere)
GinnyRazo (CA)
valpete (CA, leave at bottom)
jaenelle (KS)

Journal Entry 4 by jaenelle from Orlando, Florida USA on Tuesday, March 17, 2009
This is going out to the first participant! Hope everyone enjoys the book.

Journal Entry 5 by Flossie771 from Villa Rica, Georgia USA on Monday, March 23, 2009
Received this book today. I'll try to get started on it tonight. Thanks janelle for sharing.

Journal Entry 6 by Flossie771 from Villa Rica, Georgia USA on Thursday, March 26, 2009
WOW what a great book. I really enjoyed reading this one. Thanks Jaenelle for sharing this book. I've pmed the next in line, so it will be on it's way soon.

Journal Entry 7 by Flossie771 at Villa Rica, Georgia USA on Friday, March 27, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (3/27/2009 UTC) at Villa Rica, Georgia USA

Sending this book out today to the next person on the list.

Journal Entry 8 by 24-7-365Reader on Tuesday, April 07, 2009
Turned up today, one in front of it will start soon, thanks for sharing :)

Journal Entry 9 by 24-7-365Reader on Tuesday, April 21, 2009
Once I got into the book and used to the style of writing (it seemed to go back and forth a bit). I really enjoyed it, and finished much more quickley than I expected. My favourite bits were the court room parts, I enjoy a good court room drama! Thanks for sharing.

Reserved for next person

Journal Entry 10 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Received today; thanks a lot!
Looking forward to reading it; this is the second time I sign up for a bookray with this book (the first one got lost!)
Thanks for sharing!
Eva

Journal Entry 11 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Friday, July 24, 2009
I am currently reading it, and will ask for Canadian-babe's address.
Thanks for sharing it!
Eva

Journal Entry 12 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Thursday, July 30, 2009
A real page-turner, I couldn't put it down, even though I found it quite disturbing!
Beautifully written, both female characters,Sybil and Connie, are very well depicted and completely credible.
Congratulations to Mr. Bohjalian, who can write so accurately from a woman's point of view.
The debate is open: Which is the best place for childbirth? I can see the pros and cons from both opinions...
I loved the inclusion of Ms Danforth's diary, and the final twist.
A book I won't forget for a long time!
Thanks for sharing, Jaenelle; on its way to Canadian-babe in Italy.
Eva

Journal Entry 13 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada on Thursday, July 30, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (7/30/2009 UTC) at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

Sent today to Canadian-babe, in Italy.
Enjoy!
Eva

Journal Entry 14 by Canadian-babe from Montepulciano, Toscana Italy on Friday, August 14, 2009
I received this book a couple of days ago, and only had the chance now to journal.
I should get it started real soon. Gotta finish another book.
Thanks for sharing jaenelle and for sending this to me Bookworm-lady!

Journal Entry 15 by Canadian-babe from Montepulciano, Toscana Italy on Friday, September 04, 2009
I believe that women have the right to decide how they want to give birth; at home with a midwife or in a hospital. But after the death of one of her patients, poor Sibyl was persecuted just like in medieval times, it seemed to me that a modern witch-hunt started. This was a very compelling read and I agree with Bookworm-lady that Mr. Bohjalian writes very well from a woman's point of view. It really was a page-turner.

I'll send it off as soon as I get krista72's address.

Edit 5 Sept.: Since it is not possible to PM krista72, I'll be PMing ciloma for her address.

Journal Entry 16 by Canadian-babe at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (9/10/2009 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Off it goes to ciloma. I hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 17 by ciloma from Spirit Lake, Idaho USA on Saturday, September 19, 2009
This one came in the mail. THANX A BUNCH!!

Journal Entry 18 by ciloma from Spirit Lake, Idaho USA on Monday, September 28, 2009
I am so bad - I finished this one several days ago and kept forgetting to log it and PM the next person. So sorry!! I enjoyed the book very much. Thanx for sharing it.

Journal Entry 19 by ciloma at Spirit Lake, Idaho USA on Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (9/29/2009 UTC) at Spirit Lake, Idaho USA

On its way to ValPete as GinnyRazo declined.

Journal Entry 20 by wingvalpetewing from Walnut Creek, California USA on Friday, October 02, 2009
There are several ahead of this one. So it will be a while. I'll get to it as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 21 by wingvalpetewing from Walnut Creek, California USA on Wednesday, October 21, 2009
I thought this book contained too much detail and was too drawn out. I was glad in the end that I persevered, since I didn't expect the final outcome.

Journal Entry 22 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (10/22/2009 UTC) at Walnut Creek, California USA

Midwives has reached the end of the line. Returning it to Jaenelle. Thanks for starting this Ring, Jaenelle.

Journal Entry 23 by jaenelle from Orlando, Florida USA on Friday, October 30, 2009
This came home today. I'll probably wild release it somewhere, or possibly see if anyone else is interested in joining another bookring with it.