Shiver

by Nikki Gemmell | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 009183449x Global Overview for this book
Registered by Angry-Angel on 1/22/2007
Journal Entry 1 by Angry-Angel on Monday, January 22, 2007
I read this a long time ago, and enjoyed it,

"I can catalogue Antarctica by touch. The touch of air sucked dry on my cheek, the fur of a day-old seal pup, the touch of an iceberg, a blizzard, a lover, the touch of sweat at minus twenty-three, of a camera stuck to the skin on my face, of cold like glass cutting into my skin, of a snowflake, of a dead man, of a doctor's fingers on my inner thigh, of a tongue on my eye."

Shiver is Nikki Gemmell's first novel.

"It is the story of Fin, a young woman who gets the chance of a lifetime to go to Antarctica.

Surrounded by the cruel beauty of the last great wilderness on earth, she finds herself transfixed by the power of the land.

Travelling and living with a close-knit and idiosyncratic team, Fin learns the rules and taboos of community life in Antarctica, and then promptly breaks the strictest taboo of all - she falls in love. The consequences are shattering.

Lyrical, haunting and sometimes painfully moving, Shiver is a first novel of great power and beauty."

-From her website

Released 14 yrs ago (1/22/2007 UTC) at Studylink Palmerston Noth in Palmerston North, Manawatu-Wanganui New Zealand

Staffroom