Good Grief

by Lolly Winston | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Antheras of Kitchener, Ontario Canada on 1/21/2007
Journal Entry 1 by Antheras from Kitchener, Ontario Canada on Sunday, January 21, 2007
Amazon.com:
Some widows face their loss with denial. Sophie Stanton's reaction is one of pure bafflement. "How can I be a widow?" Sophie asks at the opening of Lolly Winston's sweet debut novel, Good Grief. "I'm only thirty-six. I just got used to the idea of being married." Sophie's young widowhood forces her to do all kinds of crazy things--drive her car through her garage door, for instance. That's on one of the rare occasions when she bothers to get out of bed. The Christmas season especially terrifies her: "I must write a memo to the Minister of Happier Days requesting that the holidays be cancelled this year." But widowhood also forces her to do something very sane. After the death of her computer programmer husband, she reexamines her life as a public relations agent in money-obsessed Silicon Valley. Sophie decides to ease her grief, or at least her loneliness, by moving in with her best friend Ruth in Ashland, Oregon. But it's her difficult relationship with psycho teen punker Crystal, to whom she becomes a Big Sister, that mysteriously brings her at least a few steps out of her grief. Winston allows Sophie life after widowhood: The novel almost indiscernibly turns into a gentle romantic comedy and a quirky portrait of life in an artsy small town. At all stops on her journey from widow to survivor, Sophie is a lively, crabby, delightfully imperfect character.

Journal Entry 2 by CrazyDutchwoman from Heemstede, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Friday, February 9, 2007
Janelle Darling. Thank you so much for sending this directly to me.
I wanted to read this and it looks great.
Arrived just now.
will let you know my thoughts.

Hugs.

Journal Entry 3 by CrazyDutchwoman from Heemstede, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Friday, March 16, 2007
Hi I started reading this, but how she felt at the beginning of the book, so depressed, came for me to close for comfort so I had to stop reading.
I picked it up again last night, she is doing better now. Like the writing style.

Journal Entry 4 by CrazyDutchwoman from Heemstede, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, March 17, 2007
Well I guess i am one of few who wasn't so thrilled with this book.
Maybe because I thought it would be a chick lit book. On amazon I see all the reviews talking about all the humour in the book. I did not really think it was funny at all. As I mentioned in my other JE, maybe it is just the mood I am in. This book made me sad at the start and after awhile I was just bored.

Anyways I still thank you for sending this to me Ant. I will see if I can find someone who will appreciate this book more than I did. ;-)

Journal Entry 5 by CrazyDutchwoman at OBCZ De Roemer in Haarlem, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, September 2, 2007

Released 14 yrs ago (9/2/2007 UTC) at OBCZ De Roemer in Haarlem, Noord-Holland Netherlands

Really happy that we have an OZCB now nearby.
This afternoon was our first meeting and even though I did not have much time, (rowena ,my daughter was with me) I did enjoy myself.

Released this book and I hope someone will take it with them.
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by Pebby72 at OBCZ Ome Jan (gesloten) in Almere , Flevoland Netherlands on Saturday, September 15, 2007

Released 14 yrs ago (9/16/2007 UTC) at OBCZ Ome Jan (gesloten) in Almere , Flevoland Netherlands

Wegens overschot aan boeken in OBCZ De Roemer (Haarlem), gaat deze mee naar de meeting in Almere Haven!

Journal Entry 7 by LenaLena from Hoevelaken, Gelderland Netherlands on Sunday, September 16, 2007
Took it from the meeting in Almere. It looks like a nice book!

Journal Entry 8 by LenaLena from Hoevelaken, Gelderland Netherlands on Friday, August 15, 2008
And it was!
First I thought it was a very depressing book, but (just like Sophie) it got better and more positive. I really enjoyed it!

Journal Entry 9 by LenaLena at Castricum, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, September 6, 2008

Released 13 yrs ago (9/7/2008 UTC) at Castricum, Noord-Holland Netherlands

Via koerier sha-re gaat deze naar Boekenxnl! Veel leesplezier!
Enjoy, Boekenxnl!

Journal Entry 10 by wingboekenxnlwing from Son en Breugel (incl. Son, Breugel), Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Friday, September 26, 2008
Dank je LenaLena dit boek gaat mijn kast in en hopelijk wordt het binnen niet al te lange tijd gelezen. Sha-re bedankt voor het koerieren.

Journal Entry 11 by wingboekenxnlwing from Son en Breugel (incl. Son, Breugel), Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Tuesday, April 21, 2009
This book is gonna travel again very shortly.

Released 12 yrs ago (6/6/2009 UTC) at SamenLoop voor Hoop Veldhoven, Kempen Campus in Veldhoven, Noord-Brabant Netherlands

Dit weekeinde wordt Samenloopvoorhoop door vrijwilligers uit Veldhoven eo georganiseerd. De opbrengsten van dit festijn komen in zijn geheel ten goede van de Kankerstichting.
In herinnering aan ons zeer speciale Bookcrossing lid Yellow-Star staan wij hier met een Bookcrossing kraam.
Ik zou het leuk vinden wanneer u meldt dat dit boek in uw bezit is en dat u het t.z.t. weer verder laat reizen.