Pulp Friction: Uncovering the Golden Age of Gay Male Pulps

by Michael Bronski | Gay & Lesbian |
Registered by wingjarewing of Port Richey, Florida USA on 1/17/2007
Journal Entry 1 by wingjarewing from Port Richey, Florida USA on Wednesday, January 17, 2007
I am so excited to have this book! I noticed it a while ago on BN.com and have been anticipating the time I would allow myself a little splurge. That time came (in part thanks to Mypoints.com.) So it's in my possession and will be read quite soon.

Bronski has brought together a lot of pulp gay fiction from the 50's through the 70's. Many of the books included here were disguised as war or crime novels... sounds great!

Journal Entry 2 by wingjarewing from Port Richey, Florida USA on Tuesday, June 12, 2007
Highly enjoyable read. I am in awe as to just how much gay fiction was written in the '50's, and just how much they got away with! A great piece of gay literary history here. Found myself glued to the text for a couple days straight (well, maybe narrow?).

Journal Entry 3 by wingjarewing from Port Richey, Florida USA on Monday, June 18, 2007

Bookring time!

The "rules" are simple. When you get the book, make a journal entry letting everyone know it has arrived. Do your best to read it in a timely manner (within a month of receiving). PM the next person on the list for shipping info, and send it on it's merry little way.

Participants list:

Penelopewanders Switzerland
Sudokugirl Bosnia and Herzegovina
Voveryte Lithuania
Then back to me!

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, July 27, 2007
Pulp Friction arrived safely in today's mail; many thanks! Looks like a lot of fun; will try to read it and get it moving again quickly...

Journal Entry 5 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, August 20, 2007
Well, I didn't get this book read quite as quickly as I'd wanted to, but I found that it was easier to enjoy its commentary and excerpts if I didn't read too many at once.

I enjoyed the book very much, although I suspect it will have an adverse effect on my bank balance, as there were quite a few books excerpted or otherwise mentioned here that I really would like to read! [Luckily, there were also quite a few that I'd already read {grin}.] The author sketches a rough history of gay pulp literature, sometimes wandering into not-pulp-at-all territory (the definitions can be a bit vague), and describes the different levels of explicitness, from very subtle "coding" (which at times might only be in the eye of the beholder!) to surprisingly explicit bits, some of those from works written at a time when I wouldn't have thought they could get published...

Was pleased to see references to early works by Joseph (the "Dave Brandstetter" books) Hansen, writing under the name James Colton. And I thoroughly enjoyed the excerpt from Marcus Miller's 1969 "Gay Revolution," in which he proposed a new drug that "changed ordinary men into raging homosexuals". The result of this is that the world rapidly turns into a peaceful and harmonious place, with the Pope calling a meeting to discuss whether or not the Vatican will continue to condone heterosexuality (!); the book's two protagonists are, as of the excerpt, still straight, and are hoping to find a way to stop the spread of the drug, but I gather from the commentary that that isn't how things are destined to go. Sounds like quite a romp! And there's Victor Jay's 1970 "The Gay Haunt," in which a gay man is haunted by the ghost of his dead lover, in a "Topper meets Blithe Spirit" kind of way... Another title I'd like to get hold of if I can. [Sadly, most of the works quoted here are long out of print, and as most of them were indeed "pulp" novels, published in cheap-paperback form, not many copies have survived. But I can look!]

Definitely an interesting and entertaining read, this; thanks for sharing it!

Update: went in the mail on August 21. Hope you enjoy it, Ealasaidmae!

Journal Entry 6 by ealasaidmae from New Orleans, Louisiana USA on Saturday, August 25, 2007
Arrived today! I'm about halfway through a book now, then will start this one. Thanks Gorydetails and Jare!

Journal Entry 7 by ealasaidmae from New Orleans, Louisiana USA on Wednesday, September 05, 2007
This was so much fun! I really enjoyed reading all of the excerpts! My favorite was definitely "Gay Revolution." It had me laughing out loud on the bus. The man sitting next to me wanted to know why I was laughing so I told him - and he changed seats. That was even funnier. I learned so much from this, too. Like Jare and GoryDetails, I was amazed at the amount and variety of material from the 50s. Now if we could just convince someone to get these books back in print...

Journal Entry 8 by ealasaidmae from New Orleans, Louisiana USA on Friday, September 07, 2007
Mailed to mrsordonez today, delivery conf# 0306 3030 0001 0087 1985

Journal Entry 9 by mrsordonez from Fenton, Missouri USA on Sunday, September 16, 2007
Arrived safely, I've had a bit of drama, my kid broke her arm, sorry for the delay in journalling. Will start on this right away. Thanks for sharing, Jare!