Coraline

by Neil Gaiman | Children's Books |
Registered by ink-heart of Wolfenbüttel, Niedersachsen Germany on 1/17/2007
Journal Entry 1 by ink-heart from Wolfenbüttel, Niedersachsen Germany on Wednesday, January 17, 2007
Blurb:

"When Coraline steps through a door to find another house strangely similar to her own (only better), things seem marvelous. But there's another mother there, and another father, and they want her to stay and be their little girl. They want to change her and never let her go. Coraline will have to fight with all her wits and courage if she is to save herself and return to her ordinary life."

"Ages 8 up" is what the cover says, but really, this is quite scary in a way and nothing for easily-frightened children. From the enthusiastic reviews I would have expected more - or something different ... "Coraline" is an easy and thrilling read but, to be honest, not too original and somehow I caught myself looking for a sort of message (which I didn't find).

Edit 13/07/07: This is going to be a Rabck/Ray to:

samulli
Bean-Sidhe
Popitze
Urla

Journal Entry 2 by samulli from Weimar, Thüringen Germany on Monday, July 23, 2007
Arrived here today. I have another one of Gaiman's books as a bookring here at the moment, so this one will be next after that and the one I am reading right now (don't worry, I'm a fast reader normally, shouldn't take more than one or two weeks at the most).
Thanks for the ray, ink-heart.

Journal Entry 3 by samulli from Weimar, Thüringen Germany on Sunday, July 29, 2007
If I needed another reason to count Neil Gaiman among my top ten authors, this book would be it. I fell in love with his writing while reading "Anansi Boys" last week and "Coraline" just confirmed my opinion.
It is not exactly a book I would let my children read (if I had any), because it really is kinda scary. I don't think it has a message. I'd say Gaiman tells stories just for the sake of telling the stories - which to me is the only justification necessary.

I have Bean-Sidhe's address already and the book will continue its travels first thing tomorrow.

Journal Entry 4 by Bean-Sidhe from Bonn, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, August 04, 2007
I got to know Neil Gaiman - more or less accidentially - by ''Neverwhere'', which I swallowed! Now I''m looking forward to reading this book and I''m very excited if I''ll like it, too ;o)
Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 5 by Popitze from Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, October 09, 2007
The book arrived savely yesterday. Due to a sudden bookring-accumulation Coraline will have to stand in line and wait for a little while, I'm sorry...
27.10.2007
This book is a really lovely and captivating read. Just the right dosage of creepiness for me! In some way it reminded me of a spooky version of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, but I liked it a lot and I am still pondering if I even like it more than Alice's Adventures... Thanks for sharing, ink-heart.

Journal Entry 6 by Urla from Galway, Co. Galway Ireland on Wednesday, November 07, 2007
Thanks for the book! I'm looking forward to it very much.

Journal Entry 7 by Urla from Galway, Co. Galway Ireland on Saturday, April 04, 2009
Neil Gaiman is a master storyteller. This dark and yet witty modern-day fairytale about Coraline's adventure is a true piece of art like all of his stories.

Find a more detailed review in my blog (German only).

This book is part of my "Vom Mount Everest zum Brocken"-Challenge (2nd book for April - first name in the book's title).

Journal Entry 8 by Urla from Galway, Co. Galway Ireland on Saturday, April 04, 2009
This book is a book-ray.

The Participants:
- faerie-glen
- AnaConda13th
- read-a-bit
- Wattgirl

Journal Entry 9 by Urla at Diez, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Sunday, April 05, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (4/6/2009 UTC) at Diez, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany

On its way to Tiamat-muc.

Journal Entry 10 by Tiamat-muc from München, Bayern Germany on Tuesday, April 07, 2009
arrived today - thanx!

18.04.
This really was a wonderful fairy tale - a bit creepy but with a very smart protagonist. I loved the end of the story, because it wasn't as simple as going through a door and taking the key with you. Instead Coraline had to fight one last time. I'm sure this wasn't my last book by Gaiman (by the way: it was my first! Unbelievable but true)

Released 10 yrs ago (4/20/2009 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Bayern Germany

Coraline is going to explore Nachtgeiers home

Journal Entry 12 by nachtgeier from Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, April 21, 2009
From the envelope directly in the wardrobe....noooo....bad idea, rucksack is better! ;o)
Thanks for sharing, it has been quite a while since my last Gaiman book. Looking forward to this one.

27.04.2009: Hmmm, can't precisely put my finger on it, but it didn't hook me as Gaimans other books did. Nevertheless it is a wonderfully told story, very creepy in places.
Will not be the last one by this author but I'll stick to the ones for the older girls...
Anyway, thanks a lot for this bookray!

Released 10 yrs ago (5/2/2009 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt / Persönlich weitergegeben --, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

Qantaqa is currently stuck in a bookring jam and asked to be considered later in the queue. Coraline now travels on to sternenwolf and can explore some Postbusses on the way. :o)

Journal Entry 14 by sternenwolf from Steffenberg, Hessen Germany on Wednesday, May 06, 2009
Coraline arrived with todays mail. Thanks for sending, Nachtgeier!
The book has got to rest a few days on my Mt.TBR, but I'm going to read it soon and looking forward to!

Greets,
sternenwolf

Journal Entry 15 by sternenwolf from Steffenberg, Hessen Germany on Friday, May 08, 2009
What a marvelous ghost-story! I'ver read it in one sitting and liked it a lot. After if read "Sternwanderer" I was caught by Gaimans kind of storytelling and "Coraline" which was my second of his books confirms my opinion about it. Now our little explorer travelling to Noria when I've got the adress!

11.05.2009:
Coraline is on her way to Noria!

Journal Entry 16 by Noria from Gehrden, Niedersachsen Germany on Monday, May 18, 2009
The little one just arrived and will take a short rest on the top of my Mount TBR.

19.05.09
And a very short rest it was, indeed. I just can't seem to let a new book by Neil Gaiman lay around for too long. ;)

I liked this story very much, its darkness, its weirdness, its characters. It's a really twisted tale and I enjoyed every minute of it. I especially liked the cat.

I already asked for the next address, so Coraline will soon be on her way to a new home.

Journal Entry 17 by Noria at Bookring, Germany -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (6/23/2009 UTC) at Bookring, Germany -- Controlled Releases

(Endlich) unterwegs zu faerie-glen.

Journal Entry 18 by faerie-glen from Ulm, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Sunday, July 05, 2009
Arrived, thanks!

A nice and creepy way to spend the afternoon.

Journal Entry 19 by AnaConda13th from Dortmund, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, July 15, 2009
Arrived today, I'm looking forward to reading it!

19.07.: Finished reading - great book! Mabye gonna buy it later for my kids, if I'm gonna have some.
I'm going to send it tomorrow.

Journal Entry 20 by read-a-bit from Bremen, Bremen Germany on Saturday, July 25, 2009
Arrived safe and sound some days ago. I read it yesterday and enjoyed the read but-I did not think it particularly scary. Not in the way all the authors praised it as being extremely scary etc etc. THAT I did not understand, you? I always had the feeling that Coraline will manage it and thus I was not scared at all. I wonder if anybody else felt like that. Guess I will know more after having read all your comments.

Thanx for sending, AnaConda13th, and thanx for letting me participate, Urla and ink-heart.

The book will travel on as soon as I am delivered the next address.

Released 10 yrs ago (8/8/2009 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Bremen Germany

On its way again.

Journal Entry 22 by Wattgirl from Spiekeroog, Niedersachsen Germany on Friday, September 04, 2009
That was supposed to be a childrens book? If I'd have read it aged 8 I would have had nightmares for a month! Enjoyed it very much - wouldn't give it to a child, though.

Journal Entry 23 by Wattgirl from Spiekeroog, Niedersachsen Germany on Friday, September 18, 2009
Halloooo, Inkheart! Habe dir ein pm geschickt, aber noch nichts von dir gehört! Wohin soll ich Coraline schicken, bitte?

Journal Entry 24 by Wattgirl from Spiekeroog, Niedersachsen Germany on Wednesday, February 03, 2010
Schicke das Buch, auf Anfrage zu Nukegara. Viel Spaß damit, ich fand es toll - aber eben kein kinderbuch!! Du kannst es gerne entweder selber behalten, nach dem Lesen, oder weitergeben an andere Interessierte.
Wattgirl