Labyrinth

by Kate Mosse | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by Jinglefish of Woking, Surrey United Kingdom on 1/11/2007
Journal Entry 1 by Jinglefish from Woking, Surrey United Kingdom on Thursday, January 11, 2007
Blurb on back cover says:

"July 1209: in Carcassonne a seventeen year old girl is given a mysterious book by her father which he claims contains the secret of the true Grail. Although Alais cannot understand the strange words and symbols hidden within, she knows that her destiny lies in keeping the secret of the labyrinth safe...

July 2005: Alice Tanner discovers two skeletons in a forgotton cave in the French Pyrenees. Puzzled by the labyrinth symbol carved into the rock, she realises she's disturbed something that was meant to remain hidden. Somehow, a link to a horrific past - her past - has been revealed."

I really enjoyed this book and whizzed through it in a few days. It's easy to read and not complicated in plot, perhaps a little predictable but a great story nonetheless. The characters are very likeable/dislikable and having visited the parts of France in the setting I could envisage the landscape/cityscape. The story could be compared to Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code which probably explains why it has been at the top of the best sellers list for a while, different subject but along similar lines. The historic content (although I can't vouch for accuracy) seems well researched and informative. If you don't like gore then perhaps you should steer away as there are battle scenes and burnings at the stake - not gratuitous but enough to leave you contemplative at the end of the chapter into how barbaric society was at that time.

Journal Entry 2 by Jinglefish from Woking, Surrey United Kingdom on Friday, January 12, 2007
Passed onto a non BCer friend on loan but expect it to be returned.

Journal Entry 3 by Jinglefish from Woking, Surrey United Kingdom on Friday, March 23, 2007
Update from non-BCer friend informs me that she really enjoyed this and that her husband is now reading this {grin}.

Journal Entry 4 by Jinglefish from Woking, Surrey United Kingdom on Thursday, July 12, 2007
Book passed back to me today - both previous unnamed readers seemed to enjoy it. However, the book never made it home as I have passed on to another colleague to read:-)

Journal Entry 5 by Jinglefish from Woking, Surrey United Kingdom on Thursday, October 18, 2007
Book has now been returned to me and is sitting on my shelf while I think what to do next with it.

Journal Entry 6 by Jinglefish from Woking, Surrey United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 19, 2008
Posted 1st Class to MarthaK-H today as part of an agreed trade.

Journal Entry 7 by MarthaK-H from Hither Green, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 26, 2008
Many thanks for the swap Jinglefish! I rescued it from the sorting office yesterday.