Remote Journeys Oddly Rendered

by Tim Cahill | Travel |
Registered by abitstormyout of Ely, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on 2/5/2007
Journal Entry 1 by abitstormyout from Ely, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Monday, February 05, 2007
Pre-numbered label used for registration.

From Amazon.co.uk:

These accounts of unusual travels encompass a ride on an unshod pony galloping through Mongolia, swimming (briefly) below the ice at the North Pole, and debating with a Dani herdsman in New Guinea the most fashionable style of penis sheath and how to grow one.

Released 12 yrs ago (2/10/2007 UTC) at Caffe Nero IP1 book-crossing zone in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

Taking to the Ipswich Meet at Caffe Nero tomorrow!

Journal Entry 3 by wingBookAmblerwing from Isle of Lewis, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, February 10, 2007
I said to TurquoiseFloyd I'd pick this up if no-one else did. Then noticed that BookGroupMan had snaffled it very surreptitiously and naturally made a comment about my interest. Suddenly it was in my bag! But I shall return it for BGM when I'm in Ipswich next :-)

From the description I'm wondering if it will be Bryson-esque.... Time Out describes it as 'incredibly funny' - maybe this will be The One which I actually agree with!

Different front cover by the way - a slightly odd looking polar bear.

Journal Entry 4 by wingBookAmblerwing from Isle of Lewis, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, May 11, 2007
Errrrrmmm, well, no it wasn’t 'incredibly funny'. Or even plain funny. Amusing in places, yes, I’d grant you that. I've only read two of Bill Bryson's books but on that basis I wouldn't compare Cahill with Bryson after all.

This is a compilation of two dozen stories from Cahill's travels around the world. Varying hugely in subject matter and depth, half way through the book I found I was struggling to get on and finish it. But then I used it for my speed-reading course practice drills! It wasn’t the easiest of books for that purpose but it did mean that I reached the end!

I did swither between six and seven stars... six is probably a bit mean. My favourite stories were the one about the noisy cheese and ‘Misty Crossings’.

Journal Entry 5 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, May 12, 2007
...not the most encouraging of write-ups, finished only as useful speed-reading practice! But, Pakasanelly knows that I was 'drawn' to this book at a previous Ipswich meet-up, so I will give it a go! Thanx for passing on.

Journal Entry 6 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 18, 2007
Pakasanelly will be pleased to know that i've started reading this...so now know about the 'noisy cheese' and the hair-worshipping Mer-ee-koons :)

(24/07) Finished - review to follow

Journal Entry 7 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 24, 2007
I don’t know Tim Cahill, and his Bill Bryson lookalike picture doesn’t give the impression of a gung-ho adventurer, but its all there in this travel writing and reportage collection; riding horses across the Mongolian permafrost; dodging crumbling glaciers in Alaska; visiting remote stilted ‘stone age’ villages in Indonesia etc. etc. However, despite a couple of personal insights – malaria, depression etc. – and sporadic comedy moments, such as the famous ‘noisy cheese’(!) I found it all a bit unconvincing...maybe I was looking for a more 'British' self-deprecation & enthusiasm, like Michael Palin, or even Bryson. I think the format of lots of variable-length chapters, from 4 to forty pages, jumping around the world, introducing new characters with no particular thread or timeline was a bit disconcerting. I actually think there is some fine writing here, especially some of the transcendental musings from some of the remotest and most stunning parts of the globe, but it all gets a bit lost in the mix.

Journal Entry 8 by BookGroupMan at Caffe Nero IP1 book-crossing zone in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Friday, September 07, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (9/8/2007 UTC) at Caffe Nero IP1 book-crossing zone in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

Taking along to the BookCrossing meet-up to share or leave on the Caffe Nero shelves

Journal Entry 9 by Semioticghost from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Sunday, September 09, 2007
This sounded interesting, so I'll give it a go. Thanks, folks!

Released 11 yrs ago (7/11/2008 UTC) at Caffe Nero IP1 book-crossing zone in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

Journal Entry 11 by Semioticghost from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, July 12, 2008
Tim Cahill’s “Remote Journeys, oddly rendered, was just that – witty, sometimes intellectual, sometimes eminently down to earth. I’ll definitely look out some of his other stuff.

Journal Entry 12 by candy-is-dandy from Great Bardfield, Essex United Kingdom on Sunday, July 13, 2008
Picked up at the Ipswich bookcrossing meet.

I enjoy good travel writing - places and people I'll probably never see (sigh!!!). Found this book particularly appealing when I heard it had received very differing responses from previous readers. Will I be with pakasanelly and bookgroupman or will I agree more with semioticghost's critique??