Anita and Me

by Meera Syal | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by gigrowertwo of Saltash, Cornwall United Kingdom on 1/9/2007
Journal Entry 1 by gigrowertwo from Saltash, Cornwall United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 09, 2007
I am currently on a waiting list for this book and then it just turned up in the box.

Released 12 yrs ago (1/31/2007 UTC) at Outside undertakers showroom opposite St Stephens in Saltash, Cornwall United Kingdom

Journal Entry 3 by gigrowertwo from Saltash, Cornwall United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 31, 2007
Midlands............ somewhere I have crossed all my life but never stopped. This year I have read three semi-autobiographical novels about growing up in the Midlands in the seventies. They perfectly match my own teenage years and its reassuring to realise that it was much the same for us all.
This is a beautifully written book. It confronts racism gently but directly,this approach made me feel uncomfortable. The non-story of this novel fascinated me,I am eager to read the next non-story by this author and see what I can learn from that.

Journal Entry 4 by SpinningSarah from Saltash, Cornwall United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 06, 2007
I've read this book before (I actually went out hunting for something else but this was all there was and I really wanted to 'catch' a book!!don't worry - I'll release it again soon!!)

I remember thoroughly enjoying this novel. Meera Syal's style of writing manages to evoke a definite period in time and a definite cultural style. I felt Meena struggling with her identity to fit into both cultures was (probably) an honest account of other young people in this situation and that Anita's influence was a universal one - ie a younger girl looking up to an older girl but gettting into trouble for it. The way the racism was approached was subtly done and, having grown up in the 70s / 80s myself, can see that this was a real way of dealing with it. I can totally imagine comments like these having been made - they're snide but 'not meant to be'. I just don't think people really knew any better in those times. Shocking really!
I really liked that Meena 'found herself' and managed to be true to herself in the end. Amusing, poignant and easy to read. thank you!

Released 12 yrs ago (2/15/2007 UTC) at RAIN Hairdressers, Lower Fore Street. in Saltash, Cornwall United Kingdom