Moral Disorder

by Margaret Atwood | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Pooker3 of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 1/5/2007
Journal Entry 1 by Pooker3 from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, January 05, 2007
Hard Cover.
I love Atwood's short fiction. A wonderful Christmas gift.

Journal Entry 2 by Pooker3 from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, July 31, 2009
Okay so I've had this book for more than a couple of years and I've put off reading it. Why? Well, the thing is that I have such fondness for Atwood's short story collections read years and years ago that I was afraid this book would let me down, be disappointing and not measure up. That could happen. Carol Shields for example. I loved her early stuff but was disappointed in her more recent books. So it was with some trepidation that I started Moral Disorder.

Ahhhhh...

I needn't have worried. The Bad News (the first story) was music to my soul.

The eleven stories in this book centre around one woman, Nell (at least I think they are all about her, she is not named in all of them, some of them being narrated by her (if it's her))and her relationships with the significant people in her life - her parents, her sister Lizzie, her husband Tig, even her husband's ex-wife). They follow Nell through her life from childhood until she's about 60 and her parents are aged, although not in chronological order - in the first story Nell and Tig have been married long enough to have had two cats die in old age.

I don't know what it is about Atwood, but when I read her it is like talking to a best friend, a best friend who might just really be me, or maybe it's the me that I want to be. I think I read her because she gives me a greater understanding of my self and my own significant others and the world in which I live. There are countless moments of "Yes, I've been there, thought that." or "That's exactly what or where I was trying to get to."

She makes me laugh. I loved how Lizzie spoke to and called every bad driver, Fred. I've usually called them all, asshole. Now I think they all do deserve a name. Mine shall henceforth be Eugene. I know some Freds whom I quite like.

She makes me cry. In "The Labrador Fiasco", a different version of which I had previously read (You can read my comments about that story here at journal entry 32), Atwood's description of Nell's parents in the ending stages of their lives so aptly described my experience with my partner's parents that I couldn't help but shed tears of both sadness and... What? Recognition I suppose.

My partner does not like Atwood. He insists that if I leave one of her books lying about the house, that I make sure her photo isn't showing where he can see it. As he doesn't read fiction, I am assuming it is not because he does not like her work. I suspect it is because one look at her sly expression suggests that she is saying, "I know you Buster. Don't think that I don't."

I love that she knows me.

Journal Entry 3 by Pooker3 at Park Theatre & Movie Cafe in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (8/11/2009 UTC) at Park Theatre & Movie Cafe in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

I can't remember if there any Atwood fans amongst the regular attendees of our monthly BC meetings, but I'll take this book with me tonight and if there are no takers I'll leave it on the shelf in the loft.

Journal Entry 4 by Matty from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Thursday, August 13, 2009
Ooooh! I'm an Atwood fan! I wish I could explain why as wonderfuly as pooker3 but I can't, so I won't even try!

Thanks!

Journal Entry 5 by Matty at Graham Avenue in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Monday, June 27, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (6/27/2011 UTC) at Graham Avenue in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Hi! Please enjoy this Canadian book, released for the 2011 Canada Day Release Challenge.

Happy Canada Day!