The Salmon of Doubt: Hitchhiking the Galaxy One Last Time

by Douglas Adams | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Vroomfondel of Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on 1/4/2007
Journal Entry 1 by Vroomfondel from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, January 04, 2007
Listbooks.co.uk synopsis:
"The Salmon of Doubt' comprises ten chapters of the novel on which Douglas Adams was working at the time of his death in May 2001, along with an astonishing collection of pieces recovered from his beloved Macintosh computer. The plot of 'The Salmon of Doubt' is as intriguing as its title and see Dirk Gently simultaneously on the trail of half a cat and an actor whose sudden appearance is perhaps not as random as it seems. Starring alongside the pizza-addicted detective are Thor, Norse God of Thunder, Dave of DaveLand and a highly confused rhinoceros called Desmond. This collection is the unique last word from one of the world's most successful and best loved science fiction writers, and represents an important, fascinating and characteristically hilarious legacy. For fans and new readers alike, 'The Salmon of Doubt' is the ultimate smorgasbord of the insanities, urbanities and wondrous workings of life, the universe and everything."

I'm not sure if it's just to knowledge that there will never anything more to come from the Apple Mac of Douglas Adams, but this may be the best book he ever wrote.

It includes his oft-told anecdote about the Cambridge railway station buffet and the biscuits, and 11 chapters of what would have been an excellent Dirk Gently book (although I'm not sure about the bits written in the first person, they're quite strange).

If only the drop-down menu on the BC 'register a book' page was a column of checkboxes, as this book fits into Biography and Memoirs, Humo(u)r, Literature and Fiction, Non-fiction, Philosophy, Science, Science Fiction and Fantasy, and Religion and Spiritual. The non-fiction, and to a certain extent the fiction, tell us so much about the author and what his passions are: his family, Bach, technology, the west coast of the USA, conservation, humanity and the Dagenham Girl Pipers.

Updated 5 January: On its way to ldpaulson who's going to read it and to wild release it for me.

Journal Entry 2 by ldpaulson from Ventura, California USA on Monday, June 25, 2007
Ack! I neglected to journal this when it arrived and I'm making up for that now that I've finished reading it. I didn't know much about Adams before launching into this, other than reading through a HITCHHIKERS compendium while very sick, which was a surreal and not-too memorable experience. I may have to pick it up again some day.

This collection of oddiments was, well, odd. Some of the writing was very compelling. There were a few interviews included as well. In the collection, there were some topics that it would have been preferrable to move on from as some of the bully pulpits or hobby horses were pounded and ridden to death. The collection concludes with an obituary written by Richard Dawkins and a reproduction of the church bulletin from Adams' memorial service.

The cover was loose. With the application of a little glue stick, this book should be ready for release in Santa Barbara ... although it is traveling through this part of the galaxy without a towel.

Journal Entry 3 by ldpaulson at UCSB -- UCEN Lounge in Santa Barbara, California USA on Friday, June 29, 2007

Released 11 yrs ago (6/29/2007 UTC) at UCSB -- UCEN Lounge in Santa Barbara, California USA

THE SALMON OF DOUBT will be placed on a table somewhere in the lounge area of the UCSB University Center. Here's hoping it will be read and enjoyed. It should have a big sticky note on it and a UCSB Reads bookmarker in it to draw even more attention to it.

If you have found this book, WELCOME TO BOOK CROSSING! Please let us know that you've found the book and what you think of it once you have read it.

You may remain totally anonymous, but if you register as a member you will be alerted by e-mail each time someone makes another journal entry for this book, which means you can continue to see where the book has traveled and what other readers thought about it.

If you choose to join Book Crossing, I hope you will consider using me, ldpaulson, as your referral. It's free. It's fun. It's quite possibly the world's biggest book club.

Enjoy!