A Factory of Cunning

by Philippa Stockley | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingAceofHeartswing of Mississauga, Ontario Canada on 12/29/2006
Journal Entry 1 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Friday, December 29, 2006
From the Publisher
Set in late eighteenth-century England, Philippa Stockley''s American debut gives us a wickedly delightful but deadly serious battle of the wills and the sexes. It begins with the arrival in London of the mysterious Mrs. Fox. On the run from a scandalous French past, she takes on a new identity, determined to rehabilitate herself. To do so she must pit her formidable skills for revenge against Earl Much, a British aristocrat with no less notorious a past and easily her match in sinfulness and intrigue. Between these two swirls a story featuring venal lords, wronged maidens, and reprobate clergymen, transporting readers from bawdy houses to country estates-places where the pleasures of the flesh are both high comedy and serious business.
A Factory of Cunning takes readers to the world immortalized in Dangerous Liaisons. And, like Michel Faber''s The Crimson Petal and the White, the vividly rendered setting and characters give the thrill of a fresh discovery.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Monday, September 05, 2011
"Mrs. Fox" arrives in late eighteenth-century London on the run from a scandalous French past. She has taken on a new identity and wishes to rehabilitate herself to her former class level. At the same time a dear friend from the Netherlands has asked her to destroy Earl Much. Earl Much is a British aristocrat who collects priceless objets d'art and ruins young maidens.

The reader is transported to a world of bawdy houses, debauchery, ruination of willful maidens and intrigue. The earl proves to be a equal match to the cunning sinfulness of Mrs. Fox.

This is written in an epistolary mode, that of letters and diary entries. It was very difficult to get into the story to start with but finally near the middle of the story I started to 'get' it.

Journal Entry 3 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Friday, March 29, 2013
This book is with me now.

Journal Entry 4 by HoserLauren at Little Free Library - Dixie in Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Monday, August 06, 2018

Released 11 mos ago (8/6/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library - Dixie in Mississauga, Ontario Canada

To the finder of this book: I hope you enjoy reading this book. Please keep it or set it free when you're done. If the book is of no interest to you, please release it into the wild for someone else to find and enjoy. I hope you will make a journal entry so its journey can be tracked and to let me know the book has been found. You can remain anonymous if you wish, but if you join BookCrossing, you are in for a great experience and I do hope you will use my mom, AceofHearts, as a referring member.