Dead Man Walking

by Helen Prejean | Reference |
Registered by raerae78 of Watervliet, New York USA on 12/29/2006
Journal Entry 1 by raerae78 from Watervliet, New York USA on Friday, December 29, 2006
TBR

Journal Entry 2 by raerae78 from Watervliet, New York USA on Thursday, January 04, 2007
(from the back cover) "In 1982 Sister Helen Prejean became the spiritual advisor to Patrick Sonnier, the convicted killer of two teenagers who was sentenced to die in the electric chair of Louisiana's Angola State Prison. In the months before Sonnier's death, the Roman Catholic nun came to know a man who was terrified as he had once been terrifying. At the same time, she came to know the families of the victims and the men whose job it was to excute him- men who often harbored doubts about the rightness of what they were doing."

For those of you that just happen to come to my page by mistake I am at the moment a law student who has a passion for helping others in need- and one of the issues that concerns me is helping end capital punishment and making sure that everyone who has to go through the justice system receives a fair trial.

I received Dead Man Walking as a Christmas present and out of everything I received it is the most cherished. Sister Helen Prejean starts off this book when she moved into a very poor and ghetto area of Louisiana. A close friend of hers asks if she would be interested in pen paling with a death row inmate, Patrick Sonnier. The book takes off from there. Sister Helen Prejean has an eye opening exprience as she becomes involved with Patrick- from what death row is like, the emotions, and how the criminal justice system really works. After Patrick is put to the death she becomes a spiritual advisor to other death row inmates and to this day she has continued being involved in getting capital punishment abolished. While she is fighting for the rights of criminals she has also found a way to help victims families. This book was moving in so many ways and has given me more motivation to go out and help the cause.

Journal Entry 3 by raerae78 from Watervliet, New York USA on Sunday, September 20, 2009
This book is headed for the book-to-movie bookbox. I've kept this book for awhile in my personal collection, but I feel like its time to share with someone else.