The Concrete Blonde (Harry Bosch)

by Michael Connelly | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingAceofHeartswing of Mississauga, Ontario Canada on 12/26/2006
Journal Entry 1 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, December 26, 2006
From the Publisher
The Dollmaker was the name of the serial killer who had stalked Los Angeles ruthlessly, leaving grisly calling cards on the faces of his female victims. Now with a single faultless shot, Detective Harry Bosch thinks he has ended the city''s nightmare.But the dead man''s widow is suing Harry and the LAPD for killing the wrong man-- an accusation that rings terrifyingly true when a new victim is discovered with the Dollmaker''s macabre signature.So for the second time, Harry must hunt down a death-dealer who is very much alive, before he strikes again. It''s a blood-tracked quest that will take Harry from the hard edges of the L.A. night to the last place he ever wanted to go-- the darkness of his own heart.With The Concrete Blonde, Edgar Award-winning author Michael Connelly has hit a whole new level in his career, creating a breathtaking thriller that thrusts you into a blistering courtroom battle-- and a desperate search for a sadistic killer

Journal Entry 2 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Monday, March 05, 2007
I loved this book in the Harry Bosch series best so far. One feels that the trial is going so wrong and Harry's lawyer really doesn't care about anything. Sylvia, Harry's girlfriend is a great additional character. One that is so right for Bosch. Harry tries to find the other murderer and finds himeself going after one wrong person after another. Connelly is very adept at making the reader feel this person is the killer. Harry's persistence and vulnerability are the keystones of the book

Journal Entry 3 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, April 18, 2007
Reading now.

Journal Entry 4 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, April 24, 2007
This is the third book in the Harry Bosch series, and I think it's my favourite so far. This book steps back a bit and takes a more in depth look at Bosch's past. Bosch was involved with the Dollmaker murders 4 years ago and shot one of the suspects as he was reaching under his pillow for his toupee. Finally, 4 years later, Bosch is taken to civil court by the family of the victim for wrongful death.
The book combines the courtroom dramas with new Dollmaker murders, giving you the best of both worlds. Additionally, Bosch has a new love interest, Sylvia, from the previous novel. The two of them have great chemistry and you really want things to work out for them. However you have to ask why this wasn't the first book in the series? It tells you about Bosch's past better than the previous two novels did.
Of course, Bosch doesn't learn from his mistakes and continues on with his rogue practices, which is a little cliche. But the novel is still good and suspenseful.

Journal Entry 5 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Saturday, April 28, 2007
mailed today to BruceAlexander as a RABCK

Journal Entry 6 by BruceAlexander from Ruidoso, New Mexico USA on Monday, May 14, 2007
Thank you SO much for the RABCK, Ace, and for your mailing it to me, Lauren. You gals are so thoughtful! It's amazing that the book made it from Virginia to Louisiana to Colorado completely intact (with no postage due! ha!), not to mention that it traveled in a suitcase from the Great White North through customs, too!

Woo hoo! Another Michael Connelly to read! I can't wait to sink my teeth into this one!

Thank you again, my BC friends - may all good things be yours in kind for being so generous with your books!

Journal Entry 7 by BruceAlexander from Ruidoso, New Mexico USA on Sunday, March 30, 2008
Well, I have to admit that while I enjoyed the hunt for the Dollmaker and the Follower in this story, I found the story dragged because I dislike court scenarios, and this book was easily 50% courtroom drama. The jury's decision was rather predictable. But I thoroughly enjoyed the Sylvia aspect and the shock of finding out who was the Follower: I had pinned the murders on Locke, the professor but with Connnelly, you never can guess right! He gets me every time!

Sent off in a box of books for Operation PBS ~ Books For Our Troops