The ABCs of Love

by Sarah Salway | Women's Fiction |
Registered by chambejd of Millbury, Massachusetts USA on 12/26/2006
Journal Entry 1 by chambejd from Millbury, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, December 26, 2006
Received in the mail from someone on frugalreader.

This is a cute story told in small sections on various topics.

This book is on its way to Scifisstrs after winning it in a swap!

Journal Entry 2 by SciFisstrs from Elkins Park, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, February 12, 2007
Got it today thanks.
Looks like a short read.

Journal Entry 3 by SciFisstrs from Elkins Park, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, March 27, 2007
Not a bad book. Not a book I would read.
Reminded me of the show Sex and the City

Journal Entry 4 by noumena12 from Dayton, Ohio USA on Sunday, April 22, 2007
Thanks Sci!! I picked this up in the BookObsessed BookCrossing Convention Live Swap!

Written in brief entries from "ambition" to "zzzz," Salway's confident debut novel chronicles the existential ups and downs of British 20-something Verity Bell. The alphabetically arranged mini-chapters make for an inventive, pleasant-enough gimmick and an episodic narrative, as Verity muses on her career (A is for attitude: "I work as a secretary in the media... something I don't always talk about because some people seem to think I'm showing off"), her friendship with the fabulous Sally (B is for best friends: "my best friend, Sally, has become the mistress of a millionaire called Colin"), her feelings on Gwyneth Paltrow (G is for you-know-who: "If I looked like Gwyneth Paltrow, nothing could possibly go wrong in my life") and other issues of love, friendship and family. With both parents deceased, Verity clings to Sally as a sort of substitute family, but struggles with her insecurities and her envy of Sally's "perfect" existence. "Sally and I are friends.... I am not jealous of Sally. I am especially not jealous of Sally's relationship with Colin." Despite Verity's apparent disdain for Sally's adulterous romance with Colin, she too falls madly in love with a married man. Unsurprisingly, their steamy affair is not the solution to Verity's problems; rather, it exacerbates her self-doubt as she plays second fiddle to the wife and children. Ultimately, Verity's life takes an unexpected turn, and she emerges a stronger and more creative woman. Salway wraps her bright, comic writing in bite-sized chunks that make this first novel an easy-reading pleasure.

Released 8 yrs ago (11/12/2010 UTC) at Planned Parenthood Bookfair, Montgomery County Fairgrounds Colliseum in Dayton, Ohio USA