Perfume

by Patrick Suskind | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by trevor4551 of Caloundra, Queensland Australia on 12/26/2006
Journal Entry 1 by trevor4551 from Caloundra, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, December 26, 2006
From amazon.com...

An acclaimed bestseller and international sensation, Patrick Suskind's classic novel provokes a terrifying examination of what happens when one man's indulgence in his greatest passion—his sense of smell—leads to murder.

In the slums of eighteenth-century France, the infant Jean-Baptiste Grenouille is born with one sublime gift-an absolute sense of smell. As a boy, he lives to decipher the odors of Paris, and apprentices himself to a prominent perfumer who teaches him the ancient art of mixing precious oils and herbs. But Grenouille's genius is such that he is not satisfied to stop there, and he becomes obsessed with capturing the smells of objects such as brass doorknobs and frest-cut wood. Then one day he catches a hint of a scent that will drive him on an ever-more-terrifying quest to create the "ultimate perfume"—the scent of a beautiful young virgin. Told with dazzling narrative brillance, Perfume is a hauntingly powerful tale of murder and sensual depravity.

Translated from the German by John E. Woods.

Journal Entry 2 by trevor4551 from Caloundra, Queensland Australia on Friday, January 05, 2007
Perfume is a wonderful little book that I picked up in an airport bookstore, on my way back from my holiday trip. It's kind of amusing that I came across the book, as I had gotten several bottles of cologne as gifts for Xmas. I'd never heard of Perfume, but it looked far more interesting than some of the other garbage in the airport bookstore, like Dr. Phil, or the South Beach Diet. Suskind's Perfume is the story of Jean-Baptiste Grenouille, who lets his olfactory obsession lead him to terrible crimes. Some say that it's a 'classic horror tale.' It's far more original than a typical horror tale. Perfume is a worthwhile read.

Planning to begin a bookring for this title, as there seems to be considerable interest. It's a great book.

Journal Entry 3 by trevor4551 from Caloundra, Queensland Australia on Friday, January 05, 2007
BOOKRING

RULES:
(modified, from bookcrosser LaurieS)

What is a bookring and how do I get in on it?
A bookring begins when a bookcrosser decides to send a book on a controlled journey. A list of interested readers is set up and the book passes from one reader who reads it and then sends it along to the person next in line. Eventually the book ends up back in the hands of the original owner which, for this book, will be me, gaysocialworker. Readers can join this bookring until the closing date, listed above. Just private message (PM) me and let me know where you are located--city, state, country--and if you are able to ship internationally. Be sure to let me know if you would like to be placed lower down on the list.

What should I do when I receive the book?
Log on to bookcrossing and type up a journal entry so I know it reached you okay. Then private message (PM) the next person in line to get their mailing address so there will be no waiting once you finish the book, if they do not respond within 10 days PM the next reader in line (and me too so I know they are no longer interested). Please read the book within 30 days and when complete add another journal entry with your thoughts about the book. Tell me the truth! Was it the best thing you ever read or a complete and utter waste of time? I love to talk books, the good, the bad and even the ugly (ugly can sometimes be lots of fun to dissect), you can write one sentence or a hundred. When you finish send the book along to the next reader in line. Please mail the book via Media Mail to save on postage in the US or via the slow boat to China if sending overseas.

What if I’m the last in line?
PM me! I would like to have the book back at the end of the bookring.

Help! I’m too swamped with book commitments and it is almost my turn!
If you find yourself in this situation PM me and I will bump you down a few notches on the list (if possible). Believe me, I understand!

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by trevor4551 from Caloundra, Queensland Australia on Friday, January 05, 2007

BOOKRING COMPLETE, 08/15/07

The List:

Please make a journal entry upon receiving the book. Then read, journal your comments, and mail to the next bookcrosser within 30 days. Enjoy!

KarenZero in New York
MaryZee in Maryland
perryfran in Maryland*
Rrrcaron in New Hampshire*
Karenlea in California
bartonz in Washington*
juliako in United Kingdom*
sweetdaisy in United Kingdom* (Requested to be skipped).
Angelika83 in Spain* (Requested to be removed).
MooMoo1977 in Australia*
Fuzzywuzzy in New Zealand* (Requested to be skipped).
-----> return to gaysocialworker in Texas

Journal Entry 5 by trevor4551 from Caloundra, Queensland Australia on Saturday, January 06, 2007
Sending to first stop, KarenZero in New York.

Journal Entry 6 by KarenZero from Maplewood, New Jersey USA on Monday, January 22, 2007
Received safely and already started reading! Thanks for sharing the book!

Journal Entry 7 by KarenZero from Maplewood, New Jersey USA on Friday, January 26, 2007
A very engrossing and strange (and creepy book!)! The movie is playing here so I will try to see it and report back. Thanks for sharing the book!

I will pass it along ASAP.

Journal Entry 8 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Saturday, February 24, 2007
Received safely today. I have a couple other bookrings here, but will update this when I'm able to start on it.

3/2/07 update - Starting on this tonight or tomorrow.

Journal Entry 9 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Monday, March 05, 2007
What an incredible book. This is a captivating tale about a very strange character. I loved reading about all the descriptions of perfumery, but the tale begins to take a tragic twist when Grenouille is secluded in the mountains for 7 years. Although he is a tragic figure, I thought that was the beginning of his downturn. And what an unexpected ending for him.

I also wanted to include just a bit of the description of Grenouille. This is from p. 20 - "He was as tough as a resistant bacterium and as content as a tick sitting quietly on a tree and living off a tiny drop of blood plundered years before." This gives an idea of the type of character that Suskind created for this story.

Thanks for sharing this one, Gaysocialworker. You picked a splendid book at the airport. I'd been wanting to read this for years, but somehow it never came to me.

This is my 12th release for the 2007 Keep Them Moving challenge.

Sent on to Perryfran on 3/5.

Journal Entry 10 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Tuesday, March 06, 2007
Received today. Thanks for including me in this bookring - I'm looking forward to reading this. I have 1½ bookring books in front of this but will get to it soon.

Update 3/20/07: Started reading today.

Journal Entry 11 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Sunday, March 25, 2007
This novel was strange yet brilliant. The story of Jean-Baptiste Grenouille who was born without an odor in 18th century Paris - a city of stench. Yet he has an amazing sense of smell which is the essence of this novel. Grenouille is possessed by this sense of smell and his ability to recall and recreate smells. He uses this “gift” to become a master perfumer but he is constantly seeking and must possess the essence of a young woman. This story kept me engrossed clear through to its startling conclusion.

The prose is eloquent including the descriptions of the smells of the stench of the city and the smells of the perfumes created by Grenouille. Some of the descriptions reminded me of another interesting novel I read last year: The Great Stink by Clare Clark. I’ll have to watch for the movie version of Perfume to see how well it translates to the screen. Overall, I would recommend this novel.

Another note - I read this book mostly as I traveled to and from work on the Washington D.C. Metrorail. While reading the book, I seemed to notice the smells of people and perfumes and colognes much more acutely - possibly the power of suggestion??

Thanks gaysocialworker for including me in this bookring. I have rrrcaron’s address and will get the book in the mail tomorrow.

Journal Entry 12 by wingperryfranwing at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, March 25, 2007

Released 13 yrs ago (3/26/2007 UTC) at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Continuing bookring to rrrcaron in Lancaster, NH. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 13 by Rrrcaron from Lancaster, New Hampshire USA on Monday, April 02, 2007
I received this in the mail on Saturday. I have a few to read beforehand, but it won't take long!
Ruth

Journal Entry 14 by Rrrcaron from Lancaster, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, April 19, 2007
This has got to be one of the most unusual books I have read in quite some time, yet I really enjoyed it! The power of scent was described to the point of almost being able to smell it yourself, and the suggestive powers those scents held, along with the way in which they were produced was horrific to say the least. I couldn't believe the ending! Sending on to the next in line. Thanks, for sharing.
Ruth

Journal Entry 15 by Karenlea from Glendale, California USA on Friday, April 27, 2007
Caught!!! I have two rings/rays ahead of it, but I should be able to start it very soon. Thank you for sharing.

Journal Entry 16 by Karenlea from Glendale, California USA on Thursday, May 10, 2007
I had mixed feeling regarding this book. It started out strong and captivating, but then started to fizzle in the middle. I was kind of skimming towards the end. I did really enjoy all of the vivid imagery. I also liked the idea behind the story, I just didn't care for the way it played out.

Thank you to gaysocialworker for sharing this unusual book. I will be mailing this off to the next reader tomorrow. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 17 by wingbartonzwing from Bellevue, Washington USA on Thursday, May 17, 2007
It's here! I look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 18 by wingbartonzwing from Bellevue, Washington USA on Thursday, June 07, 2007
What an incredible book! I've sent it on to juliako

Journal Entry 19 by juliako from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, June 14, 2007
And it is already here! - I have a couple (or so) of rings in front of this but not expecting to take too long to get to it.

Journal Entry 20 by juliako from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, July 23, 2007
Wow - this was a bit different!

As a whole I did enjoy it - but there was one bit in the middle (cave) which I found a bit strange - but then for me it picked up again after that.

And this was a translation! Very well written I thought - I wonder if the German is just as good!

sweetdaisy has already read it so it is going on to MooMoo1977 in Australia.

Journal Entry 21 by rem_OIN-713485 on Tuesday, July 31, 2007
Received today (31/07/07) from juliako. Many thanks! Also thanks to gaysocialworker for sharing with all of us. Yay! Now I have something to read. :)

Journal Entry 22 by rem_OIN-713485 on Wednesday, August 01, 2007
A weird and disturbing book. At times, I found it a bit difficult to follow, but it was one of those books where I forced myself to keep reading, as I wanted to find out how it all ended.

I shall PM Fuzzywuzzy for their addy and post.

THanks for sharing with us gaysocialworker. :)

Journal Entry 23 by rem_OIN-713485 on Monday, August 06, 2007
After a long journey around the world, ''Perfume'' on its way home (07/08/07). Thanks for sharing again gaysocialworker! xx

Journal Entry 24 by trevor4551 from Caloundra, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, August 15, 2007
Bookring returned safely to Texas. Thanks to everyone who participated!

Journal Entry 25 by trevor4551 from Caloundra, Queensland Australia on Thursday, November 22, 2007
Disposed of book via online retailer. It's had quite a run. Thanks!