Affinity

by Sarah Waters | Gay & Lesbian |
Registered by dubly of Luzern, Luzern Switzerland on 12/21/2006
Journal Entry 1 by dubly from Luzern, Luzern Switzerland on Thursday, December 21, 2006
Another book I found at the Bücherbrocky and it`s about life in the Victorian time.

Journal Entry 2 by dubly from Luzern, Luzern Switzerland on Wednesday, March 28, 2007
An upper-class woman recovering from a suicide attempt, Margaret Prior has begun visiting the women`s ward of MIllbank prison, Victorian London`s grimmest jail, as part of her rehabilitative charity work. Amongst Millbank`s murderers and common thieves, Margaret finds herself increasingly fascinated by an apparently innocent inmate, the enigmatic spiritualist Selina Dawes. Although initially skeptical of Selina`s gifts, Margaret is soon drawn into a twilight world of ghosts and shadows.(part from the back cover)
a fascinating and spooky mystery, I was so engrossed in it from the beginning to the end that I almost started to believe in ghosts as well.

This book is on its way to penelopewanders as part of a trade. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingpenelopewanderswing from Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Friday, April 20, 2007
This did arrive while I was holiday.. thanks so much! I really enjoyed Fingersmith, so I look forward to another novel by this author.

Journal Entry 5 by wingpenelopewanderswing from Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Thursday, May 24, 2007
As I just signed up for bookring for NightWatch, I figured I should read this one from my TBR pile. Although the whole atmosphere is heavy and dense like the fog frequently referred to in the book, it reads well and engrosses you... Waters writes well and it's easy to fall under her (and Seline's?) spell.
Thanks so much for trading this, Dubly. I think I'll offer it as a ring.

So far (order may change in terms of geographical logic and shipping preferences)

Plum-crazy (UK)
darkhorse4460 (UK) can ship int'l
afraberg (the Netherlands) can ship int'l
JenKazoo (USA) can ship int'l -prefers domestic
Chambejd (USA) domestic only <--it's here
smilingheron (USA) can ship int'l (asked to be skipped)
Skyriter (USA)

This international bookring is finally on its way! First stop the UK. I hope you all enjoy this as much as I did.
Please be sure to journal as soon as you receive the book so that we know it's in safe hands.
Send a private message to the next on the list for the address.
Then journal again with your impressions, and on releasing the book.
Happy travels...

Journal Entry 7 by wingPlum-crazywing from Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, June 16, 2007
The book arrived this morning. I've got a book to finish then I'll start on this, hopefully in the next few days.....Zepplin has been PM'd!

Journal Entry 8 by wingPlum-crazywing from Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, June 24, 2007
The blurb says it's " a spellbinding ghost story, a complex & intriguing historical mystery & a poignant romance with an unexpected twist"....yes, it's all those things & more!

I found this book totally absorbing. It's difficult to know what to say about the story itself as I don't want to spoil it for future readers.
The descriptive writing is excellent, you can almost feel the dark, dank prison cells & feel the tension build up as Margaret waits alone for Selina...I swear my heart was racing by the end of that chapter!

I believed in Selina's gift & the ending, on reflection, was the only way it could end -though not what I was expecting or perhaps hoping for...but I'm not giving it away!

Thank you so much for sharing this book penelopewanders as it's something I would never have picked up before joining bookcrossing.

It will be on it's way to Zepplin by the end of the week.

Journal Entry 9 by wingPlum-crazywing from Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 28, 2007
This has been posted to Zepplin today - but there is a postal strike due to start tomorrow so it maybe a while before it is received!

Journal Entry 10 by Zepplin from Calne, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Sunday, July 08, 2007
The book has just arrived and it is the next book on my list to read. Thank you Plum-crazy for sending this and penelopewanders for starting the ring.

Journal Entry 11 by Zepplin from Calne, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Thursday, July 26, 2007
I think that Sarah Waters is a very good writer. The descriptive writing was wonderful and I really could imagine life in prison at that time.

I found the book difficult to 'get into'. If I was not so determined to keep a bookring moving, I would probably have stopped reading it after the first 3 chapters. However, the book did get better and more absorbing and the ending still came as a surprise.

Thank you penelopewanders for starting this ring as I am glad I read one of her books as I have heard alot about Sara Waters but I do not know if I would rush to read another one.

I am sending the book on tomorrow.

Journal Entry 12 by BettyBoekwurm from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Friday, August 03, 2007
Arrived yesterday and what great timing! I had just finished a book on the bus and was thinking what I''d start next. I got home, and there was my answer in the mailbox!

Thanks to Zepplin and penelopewanders!

Journal Entry 13 by BettyBoekwurm from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Monday, August 27, 2007
I enjoy Sarah Waters' writing very much. Her descriptions are amazing and she can pull us into the story with such an amazing skill that, as almost everyone has said here, we end up completely engrossed in the book.

I admit, though, that somewhere around the middle of the book, things seemed to slow down a bit and my mid started to wander, but a few pages later, the story would grab my attention again, and there I was, holding on to the pages for dear life.

Thanks for sharing, I'll be sending it tomorrow morning.

Journal Entry 14 by Mallary from Ginestas, Languedoc-Roussillon France on Monday, September 03, 2007
This book arrived today, thanks for sending it.
It is next on my list to read but I have to admit to cheating and reading the first chapter already!

Journal Entry 15 by Mallary from Ginestas, Languedoc-Roussillon France on Tuesday, October 02, 2007
Sorry, I nearly forgot to journal my thoughts on this.
What a fantastic story. I struggled at first to get into it, but then I couldn't put it down. Excellently written, gripping storyline and perfect finish.
Thanks for sharing it with me, I shall be recommending this book to everyone.
I have pmed ealasaidmae for her addy.

Journal Entry 16 by Mallary from Ginestas, Languedoc-Roussillon France on Monday, November 05, 2007
Sorry for the delay, I sent this on October 19th by surface mail to the US.
Hopefully it won't be much longer.

Journal Entry 17 by ealasaidmae from New Orleans, Louisiana USA on Wednesday, November 14, 2007
It's here! This is #2 on my TBR, after another ring that arrived yesterday. How do they do that?

Journal Entry 18 by ealasaidmae from New Orleans, Louisiana USA on Saturday, December 01, 2007
Another lovely and engrossing book from Sarah Waters. She is so adept at capturing an atmosphere. She's also very skilled at wrapping up all of the threads of her stories neatly, but without making the endings contrived. I was impressed and thoroughly entertained. I've PMed carelaisa so hopefully this will be on its way soon.

Journal Entry 19 by ealasaidmae from New Orleans, Louisiana USA on Monday, December 03, 2007
Mailed to carelaisa today.

Journal Entry 20 by wingcarelaisawing from Québec, Québec Canada on Wednesday, December 12, 2007
Got it in the post today! I will bring with me, to read during the holidays.
I'll journal again this book upon my return in January.
I've already PM lauraloo29 for this book.

Journal Entry 21 by wingcarelaisawing from Québec, Québec Canada on Wednesday, January 09, 2008
Finally, I'm back from my holidays at home and can comment about this book!

Well, it was quite an interesting read. It took me more time than usual to read it and, at first, it was a bit hard to get into the story. But, once I got into it, I wanted to know how it would end. There are nice characters development and easy to follow since there isn't too much characters. There are times when I felt it was going nowhere [felt that it was a bit long] but overall, it was just perfect. I liked the atmosphere in the book and will read more books by this author.

I'll prepare the package and send the book tomorrow to lauraloo29.

***UPDATE***: this book has been sent today, Jan 10th. It should be there next week.

Journal Entry 22 by lauraloo29 from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, January 15, 2008
This book arrived safe and sound today. I have a couple of other rings before it, but I will keep it moving. :)

Journal Entry 23 by lauraloo29 from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Monday, January 28, 2008
I'm at a loss. I've read the previous journal entries in the hope that they would inspire me to get further into this book. Alas, it appears this book is not working for me. :( I've had numerous opportunities to read and find myself putting this book down quickly instead.

This book will be on its way Down Under next week. Thank you for sharing!

Journal Entry 24 by katfysh from Penrith, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, April 01, 2008
Book arrived last month but I was away from home, thank you penelopewanders for allowing me to hang on to it, but I haven't found the time to start it so I'm going to send on to cat207 rather than hold it up any longer.

Journal Entry 25 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Thursday, April 03, 2008
Arrived in today's mail. Thank you katfysh and penelopewanders for sharing.

Journal Entry 26 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Saturday, April 05, 2008
I loved it. My first Sarah Waters. I'll be looking for more.

Heading to livrecache in tomorrow's mail.

Journal Entry 27 by livrecache from Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Wednesday, April 09, 2008
Two international bookrings arriving on the same day! Thanks Cat207 for forwarding it, and penelopewanders for starting this book's journey.

I really enjoyed the only other Sarah Waters' book I've read (The Nightwatch ) and I look forward to reading this one.

Journal Entry 28 by livrecache from Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Friday, April 18, 2008
I read late into the night last night as I was so close to finishing the book and at that point I couldn't put it down. Not that it's a thriller exactly, but Waters is just such a good writer that I found it difficult to stop reading -- even though I did anticipate where the plot was heading. But I think that's not the part of the book that will ultimately remain with me. Rather, it was the skilful portrayal of the stultifying lives of women in Victorian England (in particular). Both central characters were imprisoned: one literally, and the other by the society in which she lives. And Waters' descriptive powers are amazing! The fog, the general dankness, and even the smells seemed to permeate the book.

I've read a little about the Victorian interest in spiritualism -- for a completely different spin on it try Connie Willis and her book, To Say Nothing of the Dog -- but this has aroused my interest further. It was quite a Gothic book really I felt. I respect the book not only for its writing, but also the research that has clearly gone into it.

WARNING: potential spoiler in the next paragraph

Waters in my first venture into the genre of 'lesbian writing' - not that I realised that. It didn't really strike me in Nightwatch, although it was probably more explicit in that book. But it wasn't a real feature. And for Waters, it's probably not either. It's her orientation, and simply her world view. (I admit I just read that somewhere.) But in Victorian England 'the love that dares not speak its name' just couldn't be talked about so it's really interesting from that perspective too. (I hope that wasn't a spoiler.)

I have the next person's address, but I'll just double check to make sure that it's still current before sending the book on. Thank you so much for sharing, penelopewanders. (This is the second ring of yours that I seem to have wandered into today.)

Released 12 yrs ago (4/25/2008 UTC) at By post in Melbourne, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Actually posted on Thursday, but it's in the great maw of Australia Post.

Journal Entry 30 by Sujie from Kangaroo Valley, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, April 30, 2008
Arrived a couple of days ago...sorry I'm late journalling (new puppy, house in uproar). Can't wait to read this, though it will be the last of Waters' novels for me. Write more, Sarah Waters!

Journal Entry 31 by Sujie from Kangaroo Valley, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, June 01, 2008
Just realised I've had this book too long and read it quickly while DaveDELC was home so that I wasn't too spooked on the lonely nights. The writing is as usual brilliant and I had no idea where the plot was going, livrecache (how did I miss the obvious?!), the atmosphere was captured exactly (Waters could have been behind me on my tour of Port Arthur's silent prison in Tasmania...how chilling is that nineteenth century perverse psychology?) but somehow it wasn't my favourite of her novels. She distilled that depressing world too well, and I identified with neither character. That is a fault of mine, I know...I must identify with a character in a book. Nevertheless, engrossing.
Thanks for making this available, Dubly and penelopewanders.
PMing nikkilovesbooks.

Journal Entry 32 by nikkilovesbooks from Secret Harbour, Western Australia Australia on Wednesday, June 25, 2008
This book arrived today. I've just scrolled down and read all of the journal entries & I cannot wait to finish my current book (White Teeth - Zadie Smith) so I can get into this one. I recently read Fingersmith & have it on my bookshelf as best read in 2008 so far. We leave to go on hols on Monday, so I will take Affinity with me & send it off to Wandering-B as soon as I am done. PMing Wandering-B now. Thanks for sharing :).

Journal Entry 33 by nikkilovesbooks from Secret Harbour, Western Australia Australia on Wednesday, July 09, 2008
I finished Affinity this morning while on holidays. I started reading earlier this week in Palm Cove, far north Qld and finished it this morning in Brisbane. It was a very good holiday read. I did not enjoy it as much as Fingersmith, but still found it held my interest. I have posted it off to Wandering-B today. Thanks for the opportunity to read another Sarah Waters.

Journal Entry 34 by wandering-B from Tai Po, New Territories Hong Kong on Monday, July 21, 2008
Received today - thanks to penelopewanders for making it a ring and nikkilovesbooks for sending it to me. I am taking off on holiday in a day and and looking forward to reading it on the lllooonnnggg trip over the pond! I'll try to keep it moving as quickly as possible.

Journal Entry 35 by wandering-B from Tai Po, New Territories Hong Kong on Saturday, August 09, 2008
Well, what to say about this book? It was difficult for me to get in to as some others have mentioned, but after I was part-way throught the book, the atmosphere thickened and kept my attention very well. The Lady Visitor was a sympathetic character, but I was a little frustrated with her schemes. Yes, life for her was tough, but she was in a position to do a little about it but chose not to take advantage of any other opportunities.

I enjoyed experiencing Sarah Waters writing, and might read another in the future. Thanks to penelopewanders for sending it out and to Nkkilovesbooks for sending it to me.

The book was posted to Germany this morning (via the US - perhaps it will not take too long to get there).

Journal Entry 36 by Annadlx from Wiesbaden, Hessen Germany on Monday, August 18, 2008
this was in my mailbox today. So it really didn't take too long for its journey.
I'll have to finish another book before I can get to it. But I'm sure it won't take too long.
Thanks for mailing it my way.

Journal Entry 37 by Annadlx from Wiesbaden, Hessen Germany on Monday, September 22, 2008
This is an interesting read. I did not enjoy it completely but it was a quick read nevertheless. The book was a first for me regarding the sexual orientation. It didn't hurt the story or my ability to feel for the characters as I might have thought if I had known about it before starting this read.

Thanks penelopewanders for including me in this ring.
Fritzykatz is informed that the book should be arriving at her doorstep within the next week.
I'll send it off tomorrow afternoon.

Cheers.

Journal Entry 38 by Annadlx at To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, September 27, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (9/24/2008 UTC) at To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

put it in the mail several days ago but forgot to make this release note.
Sorry. Had a really busy week.

Save journey, dear book.

Journal Entry 39 by fritzykatz from Buchenbach, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Penelope,
Another book of yours has Wandered to Hinterzarten; thanks a lot and thanks annadlx!

Journal Entry 40 by fritzykatz from Buchenbach, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Monday, October 27, 2008
An interesting idea, but a bit slow. Quite a depressing look into a young woman's life in the 19th century. We've come a long way.....

Journal Entry 41 by wingIcilawing from Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Friday, November 07, 2008
Got safe this morning along with the Kite Runner.
Thanks a lot.

Journal Entry 42 by wingIcilawing from Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Sunday, November 23, 2008
I totally agree with Plum-Crazy
"The descriptive writing is excellent, you can almost feel the dark, dank prison cells & feel the tension build up as Margaret waits alone for Selina..." I was not very surprised by the end BUT I should want to know what you understood about the ghost. Feel free to PM me if you want to.

PMing WelshHelen

Journal Entry 43 by wingIcilawing from Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Tuesday, November 25, 2008
On its way to WelshHelen .

Journal Entry 44 by WelshHelen from Ponthenri, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 09, 2008
Received today - why it took so long from France I have no idea! I've just started reading another ring book but should get to this very soon.

Journal Entry 45 by wingPlum-crazywing from Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, December 22, 2008
Apologies for butting back in on this thread but if any of you can get British TV you might be interested in this...

Affinity

Happy Christmas to you all!

Journal Entry 46 by WelshHelen from Ponthenri, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, January 16, 2009
I found this an enthralling and interesting read, but not particularly scary. Unlike others, I didn't have a problem getting into the book but do feel that there could have been some further editing of the story later on. I did, though, love Waters' wonderfullly descriptive writing style and can still 'see' Millbank vividly.

Margaret, every now and again, irritated me but I suppose she was fairly typical of a certain class of Victorian lady, sheltered all her life and unable to deal with life's difficulties. Then again, she was strong and brave enough to be a lady visitor at Millbank - all this made her into a wonderfully complex character.

I thought the ending was excellent - and surprising - but like Plum-crazy feel that it was the best ending for the book, though not necessarily for all the characters...

Thank you so much for sharing - again! - penelopewanders :-) The book was posted on to darkhorse446 yesterday.

Journal Entry 47 by darkhorse4460 from Bletchingdon, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, January 19, 2009
Received from WelshHelen today and what a well travelled book it is. I'm really looking forward to this. Have another bookring book to read first, but shouldn't take me too long.

Thank you and Penelopewanders.

Journal Entry 48 by darkhorse4460 from Bletchingdon, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 10, 2009
This is very good. I don’t think I enjoyed it as much as Fingersmith or Tipping the Velvet which have more characters and range and twisty plots. This felt very intense and claustrophobic – which is of course what it is all about. It is about how women were imprisoned in Victorian society, not just literally, as Selina and the inmates of Millbank are, but psychologically and socially bound and constricted by convention like Margaret.

As others have said, the descriptions of the prison and its inhabitants’ life are vivid, atmospheric and very grim. The Victorian obsession with order and correction is contrasted against the unpredictable and slightly subversive world of spiritualism which is treated here as a fairly ‘respectable’ outlet for repressed sexuality.

Sarah Waters ‘heroines’ are always pretty flawed characters but she is clever enough to show us how they are products of the worlds they inhabit so that we can feel sympathy for them. The tension between Margaret and Selina is powerful but subtly dealt with and the ending brilliant and disturbing.

I seem doomed to read Sarah Waters novels after I have seen TV adaptations which give away the twists of the plot. I did know more or less what was coming. However, this hasn’t really spoiled my enjoyment of her work.

I shall be passing this on to afraberg soon.

This very well travelled book is beginning to come apart at the seams a bit and needs careful handling. If any future readers have bookbinding skills they might come in handy!!

Journal Entry 49 by wingpenelopewanderswing from Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Wednesday, February 11, 2009
Yes, please feel free to tape it together if necessary!!!

Journal Entry 50 by darkhorse4460 at To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, February 14, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (2/14/2009 UTC) at To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Once again on its way - to afraberg in the Netherlands

Journal Entry 51 by afraberg from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Friday, February 20, 2009
Arrived yesterday.
Thanks Sally! Also for your nice card.

Journal Entry 52 by afraberg from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, March 15, 2009
Another great book by Sarah Waters. I thought it was very like Fingersmith, only from another viewpoint, but still very well written.

Thank you for sharing dubly!
Tomorrow the book starts its journey to the USA.

Journal Entry 53 by JenKazoo from Shreveport, Louisiana USA on Wednesday, March 25, 2009
The book made it to me! I have a few rays in front of this one but I will do my best to get it read soon and send it on. This will be my third Sarah Waters book and I can't wait to see if I like this one as much as her others.

Journal Entry 54 by JenKazoo from Shreveport, Louisiana USA on Saturday, May 09, 2009
I just finished this book! I liked it alright but it is my least favorite of Waters books thus far. I though t the beginning was a bit slow going but the end was great. I started skimming a lot when I got about 3/4's finished to hurry it along to the end. I still ove her writing but this one just was not as great as the others. I didn't get into it at all until the two women meet in the prison. Everything beforethat seemed tedious to read through and quite uneventful.

I'll be sending it on next week! Thanks!

UPDATE:

Sending on to Chambjed in the morning!

Journal Entry 55 by chambejd from Millbury, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, June 04, 2009
It has arrived! Thanks so much! I'm looking forward to reading this - it will be my third Waters book.

Journal Entry 56 by chambejd from Millbury, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, June 13, 2009
I finished this book this morning. It was a good story but probably my least favorite of hers. Thanks for sharing it with me - I'll be sending it off on Monday to skyriter (smilingheron, who has a new username, asked to be skipped).