The Desert Rose

by Larry McMurty | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingLyzzyBeewing of Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on 12/17/2006
Journal Entry 1 by wingLyzzyBeewing from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, December 17, 2006
Duplicate copy of a book I love, bought in a local charity shop.

Harmony is a Las Vegas showgirl. At night she's a lead dancer in a casino; during the day she raises peacocks. She's one of a dying breed of dancers, faced with fewer and fewer jobs and an even bleaker future. Yet she maintains a calm cheerfulness in that arid neon landscape of supermarkets, drive-in wedding chapels and all-night casinos.

This is a wonderful book that really brings you in to Harmony's world, her odd neighbours, her upside down life.

Released 12 yrs ago (12/17/2006 UTC) at Kings Heath - York Road - Kitchen Garden Cafe in Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

Put on the OBCZ shelf at the Kitchen Garden Cafe this afternoon. The shelf can be found to your left as you walk towards the back section of the cafe.

Journal Entry 3 by wingKitchenGardenwing from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, December 17, 2006
Now available at the Kitchen Garden Cafe OBCZ - look for the free books sign!

If you have picked up this book, thank you for visiting the website. Please take a moment to let us know you have the book - then everyone who has had it previously will know where it is! Then post a review when you've read it, and pass it on to someone else when you've finished it. If you join BookCrossing, you, too, can see where it goes next...

Journal Entry 4 by Heaven-Ali from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, February 17, 2007
I have never read any Larry McMurtry - but I am assured I'll love them - so this joins the rest of TBR and so I'll find out eventually.

Journal Entry 5 by Heaven-Ali from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, May 18, 2007
This is the first Larry McMurty book I have read, and I did really enjoy it. I don't think I have read a book set in Las Vegas before, and certinly not one about a showgirl. Its is a sweet, and sometimes sad book, I hought, the relationship between Harmony and her daughter Pepper is a difficult one, neither of them really understanding the other. Harmony, a woman who turns 39 during the book (I was 39 last weekend) is a woman whose life hasn't lived up to her expectations, and dreams, and she is forever looking back to what she thought of as better times. A gentle reflective read, which makes me look forward to reading more by this author.

Released 12 yrs ago (6/30/2007 UTC) at BCUK Unconvention 2007 in Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom

On to the table of books

Journal Entry 7 by Twicky from Twickenham, Middlesex United Kingdom on Sunday, July 01, 2007
Picked up at the Un Con 2007 and to be released as part of the Unconvention Reverse Scavenger Hunt.

Journal Entry 8 by Twicky at Brighton Pavilion in Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on Sunday, July 01, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (7/1/2007 UTC) at Brighton Pavilion in Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom

Released as part of the Unconvention Reverse Scavenger Hunt. Hope somebody finds me :-)